Connecting sources via HDMI?

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Hello! I have a Integra DTM 5.9 stereo receiver with a pair of B&W 686 speakers. How would I be able to connect the following sources to receiver via HDMI to get surround sound/HD and the sources are 40" TV/Blu-Ray Player/WDTV/HD cable box?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello! I have a Integra DTM 5.9 stereo receiver with a pair of B&W 686 speakers. How would I be able to connect the following sources to receiver via HDMI to get surround sound/HD and the sources are 40" TV/Blu-Ray Player/WDTV/HD cable box?
The honest answer is that you can't sensibly.

We are past the analog sunset. So the studios and masters of the codes do not want you doing what you are trying to do.

You need to ditch your receiver and get a modern AVR. Your set up will be awkward and not be very functional unless you get a unit that connects to your peripherals with HDMI and your receiver to your TV with HDMI.

You posted on AVS and got some erroneous advice. If you want to be in the old analog world, you need a modern smart TV and connect a DAC to the audio optical out of the TV and the analog audio outputs of the DAC to your old receiver. Seriously though it is time to move on.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Connecting via HDMI and not analog is not moving on? Than what do you consider by moving on?

selden

selden

Audioholic
That's certainly one possibility. You need to look carefully at receiver specs to see which one best matches your requirements. Modern receivers have may other functions than just switching among devices. Yamaha is another good choice.

Note that you'll probably get a better price by calling an authorized Denon reseller on the phone and asking for a quote. Alternatively, you might want to consider purchasing an AVR from a local A/V dealer. They often provide other services which can be very helpful, although they can't provide as great a discount. Note that I am not including Best Buy in either suggestion: they don't discount and their staff usually are, shall we say, less than knowledgeable. (Their best staff quickly get hired away at much better salaries.)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You are moving in the right direction. You might want to consider moving up the food chain a little. I recommend getting a receiver with multichannel pre outs so you can use external amplification of needs be. Also receivers with that feature are at a better quality point on the scale.

You said you wanted surround sound in your original post, yet you only mention a stereo pair of speakers.

To get the full 5.1 you need in addition, a center speaker, and a pair of surround speakers, and a subwoofer.

To get 7.1 you need a pair of rear backs in addition.

I assume you know you can not get surround sound from the speakers you listed. I'm just covering all the bases.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
You are moving in the right direction. You might want to consider moving up the food chain a little. I recommend getting a receiver with multichannel pre outs so you can use external amplification of needs be. Also receivers with that feature are at a better quality point on the scale.

You said you wanted surround sound in your original post, yet you only mention a stereo pair of speakers.

To get the full 5.1 you need in addition, a center speaker, and a pair of surround speakers, and a subwoofer.

To get 7.1 you need a pair of rear backs in addition.

I assume you know you can not get surround sound from the speakers you listed. I'm just covering all the bases.

Thank you very much!! Yes, I do know that. Could you please recommend a model and brand of a receiver?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you very much!! Yes, I do know that. Could you please recommend a model and brand of a receiver?
Receivers have a lot of facility now, and so it depends on what you want to do with it. Others can chime in and help you better than I can. I don't actually use a receiver, as my speakers can not be driven form a receiver, so I use a pre/pro. (it takes six amp channels to drive my main speaker for instance). In addition I only use the on/off control on my TV. I have an HTPC I built for streaming. That way I can stream anything easily that is out there. I don't want most of what other people want and they don't want what I want. So I don't need streaming in a pre/pro or receiver, but you might well. Right now I'm streaming the BBC HD signal from the UK via a VPN on my HTPC. That is not going to happen via apps.

I would look at receivers in the mid price range or above with the facilities you need and might need in the future from Denon, Marantz or Yamaha. I would leave Onkyo alone, and give Pioneeer a look just in case it has what you want. But the first three would be my list.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
So, OK, if I understand correctly that everyone suggests me to upgrade my receiver that has HDMI but in return will not provide any models to me? I admit I refuse without any help like a make/model. I refuse to even look into it.

If no one likes this reply than oh well and lock the thread. I refuse to look into anything and buy something that could be even lower end what I already have.

I am not talking about TLS Guy because he already said he does not use receivers and could not give a make/model which is fine.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Jeez, what's with all these newbies with attitudes?

Given your stated requirements, ANY multi-channel receiver with HDMI inputs and outputs will be a step up from what you have, particularly considering that you specidfied that you wanted surround sound and your current receiver is only two channels.

There are a plethora of decent models out there with HDMI I/O, including the one you mentioned, and to list every one would be a futile effort.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So, OK, if I understand correctly that everyone suggests me to upgrade my receiver that has HDMI but in return will not provide any models to me? I admit I refuse without any help like a make/model. I refuse to even look into it.

If no one likes this reply than oh well and lock the thread. I refuse to look into anything and buy something that could be even lower end what I already have.

I am not talking about TLS Guy because he already said he does not use receivers and could not give a make/model which is fine.
Look, we can't read your mind. We don't know what features are important to you. This is your system and your purchase. If it is audio quality you are worried about, then I would say this: -

If you pick a receiver from Denon, Maratnz or Yamaha at the mid price point, or above, it will be an upgrade on your Integra.

You absolutely need to put some effort into researching what features are available and what they can, could and will do for you now and in the future. There has been an enormous explosion in complexity and options since your last purchase. You will see that instruction manuals now run into hundreds of pages. So many pages, they are no longer printed and come in the box in paper form. Some are on DVD ROM all can be downloaded from the manufacturer. I suggest you spend time reading the instruction manual cover to cover, and may be more than once before any purchase.

If you don't order us about, we will do our best to offer comments and suggestions on defined issues you do not understand or are unclear about.

Unless you do your own homework (due diligence), then you will make a purchase and be totally unable to use it. You have my sympathies with this to a degree, as I'm fairly certain, that this complexity is denying some access to some who want these new wonders, or like you are forced to upgrade due to owning obsolete equipment. Some can only get them if they are prepared to pay a good professional installer.

Now it is appropriate you put your own stamp on this instead of ordering members of the forum about. We are not paid, but volunteer time to help provide what we hope is useful advice.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
If I cannot get a receiver anytime soon than would this work?

1.) I am getting a Blu-Ray Player soon.

2.) My TV has HDMI 2/MHL and HDMI 1/ARC/DVI.

3.) Right now my cable box is SD, but might get an HD cable box in beginning next month.

4.) Connect the Blu-Ray Player to HDMI 1 on my TV.

5.) Run a 3.5mm stereo to AUDIO OUT on my TV to red/white to Game/TV IN on my receiver.

6.) For right now connect the SD cable red/white to like CBL/SAT IN on receiver and when I get a HD cable box than connect that to HDMI 2 on TV.

7.) Now how would I connect WDTV via HDMI?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If I cannot get a receiver anytime soon than would this work?

1.) I am getting a Blu-Ray Player soon.

2.) My TV has HDMI 2/MHL and HDMI 1/ARC/DVI.

3.) Right now my cable box is SD, but might get an HD cable box in beginning next month.

4.) Connect the Blu-Ray Player to HDMI 1 on my TV.

5.) Run a 3.5mm stereo to AUDIO OUT on my TV to red/white to Game/TV IN on my receiver.

6.) For right now connect the SD cable red/white to like CBL/SAT IN on receiver and when I get a HD cable box than connect that to HDMI 2 on TV.

7.) Now how would I connect WDTV via HDMI?
So, I assume that your TV has a headphone output. You are lucky most don't. Most TVs now only have a digital optical Toslink audio out.

If you run out of HDMI inputs you will need an HDMi switcher on one of the inputs.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
So, I assume that your TV has a headphone output. You are lucky most don't. Most TVs now only have a digital optical Toslink audio out.

If you run out of HDMI inputs you will need an HDMi switcher on one of the inputs.

Thank you very much!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis