fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I went to do a fresh install of Win 10 on an SSD this morning because the old HDD I had my windows stuff on was getting a little buggy. I formatted the SSD, had my USB bootable install ready to do, and was going through the process when everything seemed to go wrong.

The install was preparing the installation and everything seemed fine, but when it went to actually install things the computer rebooted and now I'm not getting anything. Blank screens, no boot sequence, it won't even start up in safe mode. The computer powers on, fans are spinning, MOBO seems to be flashing all the same stuff it usually does (although what do I know), but no boot sequence and blank screens.

I've tried to start up in safe mode (holding F8), tried unplugging all the HDD's and trying one at a time, tried them all unplugged with just the USB, double checked to make sure everything was seated correctly and nothing had come loose, tried google but wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for.

Help/thoughts appreciated.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Help/thoughts appreciated.
Use your Macs.

:D J/K. Kind of. Good luck with that.

One thought - when you start up the PC, go into the BIOS menu and check that you can use USB for booting. If so, the Win 10 install should allow the computer to start up and begin the install - after all, that's how people get an OS on a new computer in the first place.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Use your Macs.

:D J/K. Kind of. Good luck with that.

One thought - when you start up the PC, go into the BIOS menu and check that you can use USB for booting. If so, the Win 10 install should allow the computer to start up and begin the install - after all, that's how people get an OS on a new computer in the first place.
I'm not even getting that far. I already booted from the USB and had the install running but halfway through, or right after it got done with the "preparing files" step everything went black and the computer shut off, turned back on but with completely black screens.

So now whenever I turn it on, no matter what keys are pressed (or no keys), the screens stay black.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Unplug the USB and try booting into the BOIS menu.

Oh, yeah...and make sure that your monitor is still on. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'm not even getting that far. I already booted from the USB and had the install running but halfway through, or right after it got done with the "preparing files" step everything went black and the computer shut off, turned back on but with completely black screens.

So now whenever I turn it on, no matter what keys are pressed (or no keys), the screens stay black.
Does it even POST? Any beeping? Monitor working/plugged in?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Monitor plugged in and on, no beeping, tried holding delete and then F2 with no results.

Come to think of it, it does appear to be flashing the same sequence over and over on the MOBO

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
New fun, now it starts up and turns off on its own in an endless loop

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
sounds like something is loose. I would re-seat the memory and make sure the CPU is not overheating. Could be a failing power supply as well. Try unplugging the PSU for a bit and try again.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know if you saw my post above, but unplug the USB and try getting into the BIOS menu.

I suppose it's possible that you jostled some other connection when you were plugging/unplugging your drives.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree. Unplug anything/everything usb - and also re-check all wires properly connected and re-seat memory

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know if you saw my post above, but unplug the USB and try getting into the BIOS menu.

I suppose it's possible that you jostled some other connection when you were plugging/unplugging your drives.
I did try that to no avail.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Your computer is fine. I bet the problem is the Windows 10 installation USB. I have seen many people reporting the same symptoms as yours.
Is your USB 2.0 or 3.0? And does your computer have 2.0 or 3.0 ports?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis