Comparison: Pioneer VSX-01TXH - Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K

B

Buddy17

Audioholic Intern
ahh...i did not know that! My DVD player does not actually have an HDMI connection so as of now i am using component video. It does apply, but that would be excellent if the 1018 does use it. I think it makes sense for them to use it, because everything else hardware wise, is pretty much the same.

For 100 extra bucks, i'm still trying to decide if the 12v connectors and an extra year of warranty, and possibly the DCDi is worth it...

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
I don't think the 1018 uses it. Normally it would state so, and it doesnt. However, I wouldn't use just that one fact in deciding which to get. Budget and other things play an important part.

I opted for the VHX-01 and couldn't be happier. I love it.

B

Buddy17

Audioholic Intern
yeah...budget is definitely a big play in this, but then again, i could make it worth it, if the extras were worth it.

I have an extensive DVD collection, and have just began to pick up a few BD's to watch on the new 46" Sammy 550 series tv. So the upscaling could play a big factor, if it makes a difference going with the DCDi. DVD's look ok as of now with no upscaling dvd player or receiver, but obviously it can always look better.

B

Buddy17

Audioholic Intern
i have still been considering this choice...i really want to settle for the 1018 because i can always just buy a good upscaling dvd player. But i am curious if there is an alternative to a 12v outputs. If i kept this receiver long enough, i could see adding an external amp. What do people do if theit receiver does not have the 12v outputs? Do you have to to switch on the amp by itself everytime? I guess it wouldn't be so bad with a nice remote though...

M

Mac1942

Audiophyte
I do believe the 1018 has the DCDi as I was in my local electronics store yesterday and noticed the DCDi sticker on the top. As well I have seen many many people say the same while researching this product. Though the one I looked at was the VSX-1018TXV-K, I've been told these are the same unit. Futureshop just has their own serial code for theirs.

As an extra little tid bit many have claimed that they have all the same serial numbers for their internal components, meaning they are virtually identical aside from the 12 v trigger and some THX processing that everyone seems to hate. One person even quoted a pioneer rep on this.

As for the Discrete amp design VS Direct Amp design in the two, if you look at all the higher end pioneers on their website they all use the DIRECT and that should say it all I think.

I hope this helps you make up your mind. As for me I think Im getting the 1018

Marc

L

lugesm

Audiophyte
Pioneer Elite VSX-01 THX Question

Just bought one of these, and I can confirm that it is a really nice receiver.

Question: This is a 7.1 receiver with outputs on the back for:

SURROUND and SURROUND REAR

I have a 5.1 surround speaker system by JBL, not a 7.1 system.

The connection diagram in the manual for 7.1 is clear. The manual does NOT explain which of these connection sets should be used for the rear speakers if one is using a 5.1 surround speaker system.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I would really appreciate an answer from someone more knowledgeable. :eek:

Thanks.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I don't really have a lot to add except that I've owned two of Pioneer's entry level line and will never waste money on another. My first was a 912 and it was okay and will become my garage receiver. My second was a VSX-1014 and it was a big step down. It still lives in my office but both run out of steam before the Onkyo 606 in my bedroom. I'm guessing that my 1014 puts out about half it's rated 110w/ch when all channels are driven. Bottom line I think you'll be happier investing in a Pioneer Elite or a refurbished Onkyo 707.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis