Comparison: Pioneer VSX-01TXH - Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Hello there. Long time viewer/searcher, first time poster. I am very very new to the HT world, and have started piecing my 5.1 system together recently. I am very budget minded ($2000 total) and planned out a budget for all my pieces put together, and then tried to find the most bang-for-buck I could, in each category. I am down to my receiver and here is where I need your help.

I want to stay somewhere around $500. Give or take $50 is no biggy... I was originally comparring the 1018, the yammah663, and the onk 606. I eventually found the pioneer to be the best of the 3 from every review I could find online. Then I found the pioneer Elite series. It seems that the base model Elite series, the VSX-01, isn't THAT much more expensive than the 1018. (although, I haven't found the best price for the unit yet... any online retailers yo know with a bangin price for the VSX-01?) So my question to all of you is, What is the main difference between these two models? The 1018 being the top of their base line, and the VSX-01 being the bottom of their Elite line. What am I missing by going with the 1018? I tried to do a comparrison between the two on pioneer's website, but you can only compare models in the same series.

Here is what I have already

Mains - polk audio RTI10s
Center polk audio C5
Sub - Elemental Designs a3-300
Surrounds - TBD

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Cpt.America

S.R. Johnson

S.R. Johnson

Junior Audioholic
Hello there. Long time viewer/searcher, first time poster. I am very very new to the HT world, and have started piecing my 5.1 system together recently. I am very budget minded ($2000 total) and planned out a budget for all my pieces put together, and then tried to find the most bang-for-buck I could, in each category. I am down to my receiver and here is where I need your help.

I want to stay somewhere around $500. Give or take $50 is no biggy... I was originally comparring the 1018, the yammah663, and the onk 606. I eventually found the pioneer to be the best of the 3 from every review I could find online. Then I found the pioneer Elite series. It seems that the base model Elite series, the VSX-01, isn't THAT much more expensive than the 1018. (although, I haven't found the best price for the unit yet... any online retailers yo know with a bangin price for the VSX-01?) So my question to all of you is, What is the main difference between these two models? The 1018 being the top of their base line, and the VSX-01 being the bottom of their Elite line. What am I missing by going with the 1018? I tried to do a comparrison between the two on pioneer's website, but you can only compare models in the same series.

Here is what I have already

Mains - polk audio RTI10s
Center polk audio C5
Sub - Elemental Designs a3-300
Surrounds - TBD

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Cpt.America
go with the VSX-01THX

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've given a brief comparison on the forum before, but here's what I can remember at the moment (as I get ready for work :)):

1. VSX-01 has 12V triggers, 1018 does not
2. VSX-01 has THX sound processing, 1018 does not
3. VSX-01 has orangish lettering on the front panel, 1018 is white

Number 1 and 2 are pluses in my book, while I prefer the white lighting on the 1018. The 12V triggers would be to trigger external amps if you have (or will have) them. The 1018 doesn't have a switched outlet on the back, either, so there doesn't seem to be any way to set up a trigger from the 1018. I have external amps, so that was important to me. I have the 1015 and really enjoy the THX sound processing, the I'd try to get it again.

Those are the differences that I noticed, but they are based on what I was looking for in a unit. There may be others. If Pioneer has followed their trend (which I haven't verified), then the 1018 should have the same power supplies and such as the VSX-01, but it doesn't have some of the features.

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Adam,

Thanks so much for that.. at this point, i don't KNOW if I would ever use external amps. Why would I if the the amps in the receiver do what I need them do? (drive 5 channels for a simple home theater). So the 12v triggers and 5 channel pre-outs might be wasted money for me... but who knows if that is something I will want in the future? Is that really the only difference? That... and the 1018 puts out more power.

Also, what will the THX sound processing do for me? Will I need that playing my BDs through my PS3?

cpt

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Also, what will the THX sound processing do for me? Will I need that playing my BDs through my PS3?

cpt
Adam may be working so I'll jump in on this one. You don't NEED THX for anything. It is a certification that an amp section will power a room of certain size to a certain SPL. So THX select 2 is for a smaller room that ULTRA 2 certification.

Now the THX processing is another actual part you can use. You can lay THX (Select or Ultra) Cinema EX over Dolby Digital or DTS to use their sound processing. I do use THX neural 7.1 for my regual listening for SD tv instead of PLx II. I just like it better.

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Comparison

I have a spreadsheet I have been working on comparing the Pioneer units. These 2 are virtually the same with a few key differences and I list the additional features the VSX-01TXH has:

THX Select2 Plus certification*
HDMI DVD Audio transfer**
Faroudja DCDi
RS-232C connector (allows MCACC Graphic output to PC)
S-Video inputs/outputs
12 Volt Trigger
2 Year Warranty (Elite)

* If this is important to you
** I was unable to verify if the VSX-1018AH-K could transfer DVD-A over HDMI and it may in fact be able to.

As for dimensions they are identical size and the Elite is 12 oz. heavier.

If you need a feature on the 01 or the extra money gives you the piece of mind then the choice pretty straight forward.

HTH,

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
I have a spreadsheet I have been working on comparing the Pioneer units. These 2 are virtually the same with a few key differences and I list the additional features the VSX-01TXH has:
Taifun, thanks so much for your reply! This is exactly the information I was looking for. Don't they also differ in that the 01 has pre-outs for all the channels where the 1018 doesn't?

HDMI DVD Audio transfer**
Is this the competing audio format to SACD? So what you theorise, is that the 1018 will do SACD but not DVD-A, but the 01 will do both?

Faroudja DCDi
I read up on what Faroudja DCDi is, but have some questions. If my OPPO already uses this technology, is it relivant that the receiver does? Does the receiver need to also have this technology in order to pass this quality signal to the TV? Id love some more insight on this.

Thanks again for the help, super appreciated.

Cpt.

Last edited:
Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
They both have 7.1 pre-outs.

DVD-Audio is yes. I know the 1018 does SACD, and you can use the 7.1 RCA imputs from a DVD-A compatible player (5.1 usually) The question is wether or not the 1018 has support over HDMI which the Elite does. (Correction: the Elite documents it does DVD-A transfer over HDMI. Neither document they can do SACD over HDMI. This means if you want to use either on the 1018 you'll use the RCA inputs from the player for both and for SACD on the Elite. The SC-05 is the lowest model in the Elite lineup that documents doing both over HDMI.)

Both systems have processing for upscaling which is used for Component to HDMI conversion as well as from a lower res source such as SD over HDMI from a cable box. The Elite uses Faroudja over the generic or in-house solution Pioneer uses in the 1018. I am looking for more info on what is actually used in the 1018 as I write this.

I personally am leaning towards the Elite so I can use the 12V trigger for a projector. Other than that I may end up with the 1018 as well for another room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
They have the same power, the Elite and regular Pioneer lines use a different rating system. Much like Yamaha and their seperate series receivers that are essentially the same. The HTR series uses a more laxed rating and the RX-V is more stringent. Same applies with the Elite and regular Pioneer models.

You may need more power in the event you get different speakers. The amplifier inside those receivers is a good one, but not the best for all speakers in all scenarios. There can always be a reason to have more power.;)

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Awesome guys... thanks for all the info. I definintly think I am going to go with the 01. Now... where is the best place to buy one ?:) Anybody have a great place to buy with a great price? (dont want to pay full MSRP, thank-you-very-much)

Cpt

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Check out unitedonlineshopping.com

I have a friend who ordered from them and he is very happy with the receiver he bought. The price for the VSX-01TXH is $540 and the VSX-03TXH is going for $750. I am not entirely sure if they are an authorized dealer and you may wish to check on that with Pioneer. Elite gear is supposed to be store only to my knowledge.

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
TAifun, thanks again for the info... One more question, and its about Faroudja. I see that this ability is either present or absent in both the receiver, AND dvd players. For example, the OPPOs claim to use Faroudja, and so does the pioneer 01 receiver. My question is, to properly use this technology, do both the player and receiver have to use Faroudja, or just one.. or just the other? How does that work?

Thanks again, learning a lot :)

Cpt.

G

gwhiz

Enthusiast
Good thread, I'm also pondering the same question Pioneer 1018 or the 01? I would buy the VSX01 tomorrow if I could get it from an authorized dealer for under $600. The 1018 is selling for $400 shipped and the 01 is $750 shipped. (authorized dealer) With that being said I'm also looking at the Onkyo 706 ($531 shipped) but I'm afraid of the quality issues with it. (Onkyo already has it refurbed) From the specs it looks like the Pio 1018 has more video / audio processing modes.

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Cpt.

No both player and receiver do not need Faroudja to work. If the signal is already upscaled from the player the receiver should just pass the signal rather than process it.

Now that I have been comparing them I have extended the models up to the SC-05 and boy its soooo easy to say "for a few dollar more..." which has me looking at MSRP $1800 where I was starting at $599 and $750.

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Cpt.

No both player and receiver do not need Faroudja to work. If the signal is already upscaled from the player the receiver should just pass the signal rather than process it.
Ok, so let me make sure I have this straight

If im using a DVD player that uses Faroudja to upscale the image to 1080, then I don't need a receiver that does.

If im using my PS3 blueray player, Faroudja isn't needed at ALL because the signal is already in 1080.

So if the majority of your use is bluray, you dont need a receiver that uses Faroudja. Then again, it will use Faroudja to process TV signals too? How important is this considering "upscaling" in general, is something that is going by the wayside?

S

sk373

Audiophyte
To clear up a couple of things regarding DVD-Audio and SACD over HDMI for both products:

Both the 1018-AH-K and the 01-TXH will accept DVD-Audio and SACD over HDMI. From the manual of both receivers:

Connecting using HDMI
If you have an HDMI or DVI (with HDCP) equipped
component, you can connect it to this receiver using a
commercially available HDMI cable.1
The HDMI connection transfers uncompressed digital
video, as well as almost every kind of digital audio that the
connected component is compatible with, including
DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby
TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio (see below for
limitations), Video CD/Super VCD, CD and MP3.
Remember, DVD-Audio is nothing more than uncompressed LPCM anyway. In addition, both receivers will receive a DSD stream and decode it to PCM. Again from the manual of both receivers:

3 Digital format indicators
Light when a signal encoded in the corresponding format
is detected (DSDPCM lights during the DSD (Direct
Stream Digital) to PCM conversion with SACDs).
In addition, both the 1018-AH-K and 01-TKH use a Faroudja deinterlacer/scalar.

So it seems that the significant differences between the two models is the THX certification and processing featured in the 01-TXH, and a possibly more robust amplifier section in the 01-TXH.

B

Buddy17

Audioholic Intern
Remember, DVD-Audio is nothing more than uncompressed LPCM anyway. In addition, both receivers will receive a DSD stream and decode it to PCM. Again from the manual of both receivers:

In addition, both the 1018-AH-K and 01-TKH use a Faroudja deinterlacer/scalar.

So it seems that the significant differences between the two models is the THX certification and processing featured in the 01-TXH, and a possibly more robust amplifier section in the 01-TXH.
Can anyone else confirm that the 1018 does in fact use the Faroudja DCDi??? I really want the best upscaling and it seems that this is a big step-up.

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
FYI, the Faroudja DCDi is only when going through analog. If you are using HDMI to pass all your signals, it doesn't use it. (same with the vhx-01)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis