Choice of new sub is limited by cabinet size

F

flycaster

Audioholic Intern
I would like to get a 12" sub within the $250 range, but I am limited by the size of the cabinet it must fit into; although, I will take it out of the cabinet when in use. The cabinet is 18" deep and 14.5" wide. Room is tiled flooring and is ~15 X 15 with a peaked ceiling of about 12'; and is open on one end. I am not an audiophile (but of course like to listen to all types of music), will be watching mostly HDTV and movies (want reasonable LF effects, but probably won't be blasting the sub to its upper limits). Because of this strict size limitation and budget, there are only a few subs that appear to fit my requirements, and I would very much appreciate your help in my selection of a new sub.

So far, here are some subs that I found that will fit into my cabinet. My audio system is Yamaha RXV800, 10 year old Paradigm Cinema rears, Paradigm Monitor fronts and Paradign center channel. The selected subs range from 8" to 12" (down and front firing, doesn't make any difference to me). All have at least 100 watt RMS. My problem is figuring out which one will be most reliable and get me closest to reasonable (don't have to be awesome) LF effects considering my room and audio system.

JBL P10SW (10")
JBL ES150 (10")
Lava LSP-10 (10")
Lava LSP-12 (over budget at $338)
Velodyne VX-11 (10")

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Tough one, but I'd say the LSP-10 within the budget. The Velo should work, but at just 33Hz, it won't go too low. Realistically, any of them would work just to fill in the bottom end, but looking at specs, the Lava seems to be the one. The ES150 seems to have decent specs too, but there was a point in time where they had some serious amp issues with their subs. That was a while back and they are a good company, but that is still on my mind. My buddy's went up in smoke.

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
With a low budget, I would be looking for a solid used unit off either Craigslist or EBay.....just my $0.02.

F

flycaster

Audioholic Intern
I've narrowed my choice to the two Lava's. Spoke with a Lava rep and she said that both would give reasonable LF effects in my room, much depended on the output of my mains. I thought I had Paradigm Atoms, but I don't; I have Mini-Monitors V.2 that put out 70 watts RMS and a frequency range of 63-2000Hz - definitely need a sub, eh. Her thoughts were one doesn't want to overpower the mains. Will be giving her the above info tomorrow to see what she recommends. What say you folks given the specs for the mains?

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've narrowed my choice to the two Lava's. Spoke with a Lava rep and she said that both would give reasonable LF effects in my room, much depended on the output of my mains. I thought I had Paradigm Atoms, but I don't; I have Mini-Monitors V.2 that put out 70 watts RMS and a frequency range of 63-2000Hz - definitely need a sub, eh. Her thoughts were one doesn't want to overpower the mains. Will be giving her the above info tomorrow to see what she recommends. What say you folks given the specs for the mains?
I've run the Mini Monitors in a fairly large room with no sub and they do well as long as they have sufficient power. They obviously did better with a sub, but weren't bad without one.

Your speakers don't "put out" 70W because they aren't providing the amplification. The more clean power you can provide them, the better off you will be.

F

flycaster

Audioholic Intern
Spoke again with the Lava rep and told her that my front s speakers run at 70 watts RMS, that my receiver does 100 watts RMS (minimum) per channel, and that the listening area is essentially 15X15 (but is opened out to another 25' on one side)l. She said that the LSP-12 would match well and fill the area with LF sound without overpowering the front speakers. I'm getting ready to order ($338-15% and free shipping), but first would appreciate any possible further comments.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis