Chicago Area... Help with finding store to demo

G

Georgethedog

Enthusiast
Anyone in the Chicago area know of any places I can demo a large selection of speakers? I need to drive up to listen as we don't have much in the Peoria area. Hopefully, one or more will have Wharfedale and Sonus Faber, and others...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Google is your friend- use the dealer locator on the manufacturer's websites to find what you want. ABT is a good place to start.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you can wait a couple of weeks, there will be the AXPONA show in Schaumburg. You will get exposed to more hi-fi loudspeakers there than anywhere else in North America. Sonus Faber and Wharfedale will have multiple speakers there.

G

Georgethedog

Enthusiast
If you can wait a couple of weeks, there will be the AXPONA show in Schaumburg. You will get exposed to more hi-fi loudspeakers there than anywhere else in North America. Sonus Faber and Wharfedale will have multiple speakers there.
Excellent. I've done a lot of reading and watching YouTube, and I've talked to a couple online advising sites and Sonus Faber and Wharfedale are continuously being recommended. I will have to plan a trip to that show. Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Excellent. I've done a lot of reading and watching YouTube, and I've talked to a couple online advising sites and Sonus Faber and Wharfedale are continuously being recommended. I will have to plan a trip to that show. Thanks!
Online audio advising sites? Links?

While I've not lived close to most of the audio shows, didn't really have much desire to attend one but does sound like a great option for you. Disregard the jewelry amps and wires would be my suggestion, concentrate on the speakers.

G

Georgethedog

Enthusiast
Online audio advising sites? Links?

While I've not lived close to most of the audio shows, didn't really have much desire to attend one but does sound like a great option for you. Disregard the jewelry amps and wires would be my suggestion, concentrate on the speakers.
I'm referring to Audio Advisor and Audio Advice websites. You can do online chat during business hours or fill out a form with questions after hours. They give free advice and recommendations. Also, Crutchfield will give out free advice on things. All three seem pretty decent and fairly accurate from what I have experienced over the years. I've even tested them on things that I know and they have answered well for what it's worth.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm referring to Audio Advisor and Audio Advice websites. You can do online chat during business hours or fill out a form with questions after hours. They give free advice and recommendations. Also, Crutchfield will give out free advice on things. All three seem pretty decent and fairly accurate from what I have experienced over the years. I've even tested them on things that I know and they have answered well for what it's worth.
Salesmen, with particular interests, no thanks. I just do my own homework.

G

Georgethedog

Enthusiast
Salesmen, with particular interests, no thanks. I just do my own homework.
It's not like I don't "do my own research," but you are discounting the amount of actual data you can receive from these salespeople. I do my own research, and part of it is asking for information from salespeople weeding out the fluff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's not like I don't "do my own research," but you are discounting the amount of actual data you can receive from these salespeople. I do my own research, and part of it is asking for information from salespeople weeding out the fluff.
I just use manufacturer's information, particularly via specifications and the product manual.....much better than salesman derived info. I would definitely discount the "information" they come up with if it isn't from those sources anyways. Third party testing is always a nice thing to find, too (not just a subjective review). YMMV.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
There's also Simply Stereo in Palatine, IL. I spent a few hours there a couple years back listening to a number of speakers from KEF, Paradigm, Focal, and Klipsch. They also carry Sonus Faber.

https://www.simply-stereo.com/brands

At the time, they were more than willing to let me take home a set of speakers to audition them in my own listening environment.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
There's also Simply Stereo in Palatine, IL. I spent a few hours there a couple years back listening to a number of speakers from KEF, Paradigm, Focal, and Klipsch. They also carry Sonus Faber.

https://www.simply-stereo.com/brands

At the time, they were more than willing to let me take home a set of speakers to audition them in my own listening environment.
+1 On that

Lee from Simply Stereo in Palatine IL (847) 882-2885. I bought my Persona C, the Stand and AVM70 from him and he is a solid dealer. This was a while ago. They have a decent selection of brands. It's a two story shop, the second floor is all demo area. Killer home theater demo room. If you want to get a smile out of him, tell him the guy who was the pain in the ass with the Black Persona C referred you to him. I have sent a few people to his store who have spoke very well of the expereince and pricing. It's best to call and scheudle an appointment.

Satruday Morning Audio Exchange: I have had freinds purchase from this location, I have never actually stepped foot into it, but they are always at Axpona if you are going to wait. Very large selection of brands

Audio Video Interiors of Chicago: (Located in Oak Brook IL). The owners used to work for my former Audio Shop Deluxe Audio Video, which is now closed. They have a few demo rooms and definitly worth checking out. I do think that they got aquired by another company, but still there. They usually are at Axpona demon'ing something

My personal bias, I would start with Lee, he is a honest guy, easy to deal with. It helps to set up an appointment first as his website states. They have a good selection of demo/used gear if as well.

Holm Audio (Woodridge IL, off 355) - I like they owners, they will have space at Axpona, but they try to sell the advtanges of exotic cables and not sure how price frinedly they are.

Last edited:
G

Georgethedog

Enthusiast
Great ideas! I will do some visiting to these locations. I'll probably start with Simply Stereo as they have several possible brands I may like. Thanks!!!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Great ideas! I will do some visiting to these locations. I'll probably start with Simply Stereo as they have several possible brands I may like. Thanks!!!
When you visit a store or a show, I suggest that you bring along one or two of your favourite CDs. That helps defining the speakers that sound better to your ears. Someone's preferred speaker is not necessarily his neighbour's.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
When you visit a store or a show, I suggest that you bring along one or two of your favourite CDs. That helps defining the speakers that sound better to your ears. Someone's preferred speaker is not necessarily his neighbour's.
I went with a usb stick of 20 or so songs in flac from different genres that I listen to in order to get a good representation of how the speakers would sound with the different types of music I listen to.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Most dealers have streaming services set up in store. A USB stick is a good backup, but last couple of stores I went to had iPads and I could choose any track I wanted from thousands. I don't bother bringing CDs anymore except for one with mixed material that I am very familiar with, but not every in-store setup can play CDs or USB files.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Most dealers have streaming services set up in store. A USB stick is a good backup, but last couple of stores I went to had iPads and I could choose any track I wanted from thousands. I don't bother bringing CDs anymore except for one with mixed material that I am very familiar with, but not every in-store setup can play CDs or USB files.
Yep, all the places I mentioned have a roon setup with pretty much every song you can think of..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis