Cheapest LPCM over HDMI Receiver?

noaudexp

noaudexp

Audioholic Intern
Hiya,
I am looking for a receiver that will do 5.1 surround or better. It's only important that it do 5.1. I have bought the speakers. We are getting a PS3 when the budget can accomodate one. Other than the PS3 I have the Comcast HD cable box.

This receiver only needs 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out.

Right now I have 2 HDMIs going into my WS TV via HDMI cables. Sound comes through the TV from the cable box via HDMI only. I also use the WDHDTV device which will get ebayed as soon as we get the PS3.

Many of these receiver descriptions do not always indicate whether they can pull out LPCM from an HDMI cable. I guess this is the infamous Switching vs. Passthrough.

I was about to buy the onkyo 506 when I read a review posted on amazon stating it will not utilize the pcm signal through the hdmi cable.

Perhaps theres an even cheaper receiver out there with only 2in/1out hdmi? Maybe not. I am hoping to rely on your expertise.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I would go over to Amazon or Shoponkyo and see if they have last years Onkyo 605, those are running around 250-300.00 and will do what you need.

T

TimPFla

Audioholic Intern
Now I am the last person to give advice but I just bought the Pioneer VSX 918k at best buy for 239.00 I know this unit will definately do this from what others have said. Now I am not a audio junkie and just wanted some decent sound. This unit sounds great. I had the Onkyo 304 receiver and as far as I'm concerned this pioneer sounds alot better. The auto MCCAC was spot on and everything sounds amazing to me.

Now that 239 price was price matched from Walmart Online

Last edited:
K

k9jdk

Audiophyte
If you can wait a month or so, new Pioneer AVRs will be on the shelves that will fit your needs and at a very good price point. Check out the VSX-819H.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The cheapest one I would recommend is the Yamaha RX-V363. It will do what you want for under $250. The RX-V463 will add auto setup, OSD, and an extra pound. I am partial to Yamaha receivers because I think they are more user friendly than many, have a very low defect rate, and perform well. The Onkyo TX-SR606 is in a completely different league than either of the cheaper Yamahas. The RX-V663 is comparable to the 606.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The cheapest one I would recommend is the Yamaha RX-V363. It will do what you want for under $250. The RX-V463 will add auto setup, OSD, and an extra pound. I am partial to Yamaha receivers because I think they are more user friendly than many, have a very low defect rate, and perform well. The Onkyo TX-SR606 is in a completely different league than either of the cheaper Yamahas. The RX-V663 is comparable to the 606.
Unfortunately, the RX-V363 will not process audio over HDMI.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Whew

this list that I've posted at least twice here took me quite a while to find again!

Onkyo 604
Marantz 4001
Yamaha 661
Yamaha HTR-6060
HK 247
Panasonic XR57
Sony STR-DG810
Denon 887
Denon 1908CI
Denon 788
Denon 2308CI

I hope one of those might float yer boat.

noaudexp

noaudexp

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all your responses guys, I'll start looking. Maybe I can find a refurb. Will the RX463?

T

TimPFla

Audioholic Intern
Here is alittle site for help. The Pioneer VSX918 and the Yammy 463 are pretty close. There are others there as well. What is your budget? When did you need a new receiver? http://www.hometheatermag.com/buyersguides/avreceivers/

If you can hold off and have time or access to check this site regular, You can get a Onkyo 606 rcvr from Accessories4less.com for 299.00 Refurbished. IMHO that is one heck of a deal....However, If you see it don't hesitate because they are gone be4 you know it.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If Pioneer hadn't cut preouts from their 81* and 91* lines before introducing HDMI I would have a 918.:(

For most speaker configurations the Pioneer VSX-918K would fit the bill, as would the Yamaha RX-V463 (which is ugly IMO).

noaudexp

noaudexp

Audioholic Intern
Thank you everyone for your input.

This home theater dealie has already gone beyond our budget. The wife thought buying speakers was enough until I explained that we need a receiver now. That was not taken with a smile.

I am trying to stay under $200. That may be an impossibility. I do not need the receiver right away but I would like to test the speakers and sub I just purchased. Today I am hoping my Logitech X-540 can power them. If they work then I can wait until this years new models put last years out to pasture.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you everyone for your input.

This home theater dealie has already gone beyond our budget. The wife thought buying speakers was enough until I explained that we need a receiver now. That was not taken with a smile.

I am trying to stay under $200. That may be an impossibility. I do not need the receiver right away but I would like to test the speakers and sub I just purchased. Today I am hoping my Logitech X-540 can power them. If they work then I can wait until this years new models put last years out to pasture.
Yes You will at least need to pay 5 dollars more than that to get an HK AVR 247 off ebay shipped. The price point is 180 on Best offer for one. But maybe you could win an auction for 175. That would be at 200.

It's the cheapest I could find. I have yet to try it out yet. I will let you know how it goes.

Logitech x-540(what is that? a computer thingy?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
The Onkyo TX-SR576 will process audio over HDMI and can be had for around 200 to 250 if you look around.

noaudexp

noaudexp

Audioholic Intern
Yes You will at least need to pay 5 dollars more than that to get an HK AVR 247 off ebay shipped. The price point is 180 on Best offer for one. But maybe you could win an auction for 175. That would be at 200.

It's the cheapest I could find. I have yet to try it out yet. I will let you know how it goes.

Logitech x-540(what is that? a computer thingy?
yah the x-540 is a 5.1 setup for the comp. I'm far more computer oriented than HT. I thought someone said the HK- 347 wouldn't process audio over HDMI.. I can only assume ( if that person is correct) the 247 could not. Perhaps it was a typo.

anamorphic96 I'll take a look around. I'm good at searching. Not so great at knowing what to search for. ;)

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
accessories4less has the Marantz 4001 for $230 and the 4002 for $260. I have the 4001 and it works flawlessly without ever getting hot.

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
well i dont know any receivers atm but i do know a HTIB that i own called the Sony HT-SS2300. you can get this for $368 shipped from amazon. This system has up to 8ch LPCM via HDMI with 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out for the tv. it has magnetically reflex shielded speakers as well and a poweful bass for a medium to small room

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
I'd bump it up to $300.
If you don't, you'll wish you had (IMO).
If you can't swing over $200, go used.
From another post here:

There are lot's of receivers under $300 that would be an upgrade for you.

I'd consider first the ones discussed in this concurrent thread here:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=53128
as they will all accept LPCM audio over HDMI (something you want for the future).

A brief list:
Onkyo TX-SR576
Onkyo TX-SR606 (only refurbs, when avail., under $300)
Marantz SR-4002 (accessories4less new=$299)
Pioneer VSX-918
Yamaha RX-V463
Yamaha RX-V563

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
yah the x-540 is a 5.1 setup for the comp. I'm far more computer oriented than HT. I thought someone said the HK- 347 wouldn't process audio over HDMI.. I can only assume ( if that person is correct) the 247 could not. Perhaps it was a typo.

anamorphic96 I'll take a look around. I'm good at searching. Not so great at knowing what to search for. ;)
That person would be incorrect. Considering the specs state that it can process audio over hdmi?;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd bump it up to $300.
If you don't, you'll wish you had (IMO).
If you can't swing over $200, go used.
From another post here:

There are lot's of receivers under $300 that would be an upgrade for you.

I'd consider first the ones discussed in this concurrent thread here:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=53128
as they will all accept LPCM audio over HDMI (something you want for the future).

A brief list:
Onkyo TX-SR576
Onkyo TX-SR606 (only refurbs, when avail., under $300)
Marantz SR-4002 (accessories4less new=$299)
Pioneer VSX-918
Yamaha RX-V463
Yamaha RX-V563
You can't make up budget. The 606s are a no go for a while for 300 dollars.

I am getting the 247 soon and will test it out for you and let you know how well it works.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
You can't make up budget.
"Penny wise, pound foolish" you are. Sure you can "make up budget" by waiting a paycheck or two -- we're only talking a C-note here AT MOST over his initial number, to get a much better unit with better sound, more versatility, and better resale value. $200 just happens to be a little below the sweet spot for value -- telling the OP not to save up a little more is giving him bad advice (IMO).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis