Cheapest LPCM over HDMI Receiver?

noaudexp

noaudexp

Audioholic Intern
I appreciate the advice everyone! I am still looking and hoping the new lines come out soon so the older stuff will get liquidated.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
Excellent decision to wait and look and think more :)

A couple more thoughts:

Specifically on the HK xx4 series, take a look at this thread before you buy one:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053202&page=25
I've intentionally linked you to what is (at the time of this post) the last page of the thread -- just in case anyone tells you recent firmware fixes all the problems.

Also, on this board and AVS, there are quite a few threads like 'Best receiver under $300', 'Best receiver under $400', etc. Reading through those will acquaint you with product you should be looking out for -- then if you find one of THOSE products at a discount you'll be ready!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
"Penny wise, pound foolish" you are. Sure you can "make up budget" by waiting a paycheck or two -- we're only talking a C-note here AT MOST over his initial number, to get a much better unit with better sound, more versatility, and better resale value. $200 just happens to be a little below the sweet spot for value -- telling the OP not to save up a little more is giving him bad advice (IMO).
I don't see a lot of good options at 300 either. The 705 is no longer on sale. :(

Compromises have to be made at the 200 dollar price point. Who's to say he will be able to raise a c-note extra. Not everyone makes money that easily.

Most of the good mid fi receivers actually cost 500 dollars. That's 300 dollars above his budget. So he has to take compromises and risks.

I never suggested a *54. I suggest the *47 since it's far cheaper.

Of course a Marantz would be a good choice too.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Excellent decision to wait and look and think more :)

A couple more thoughts:

Specifically on the HK xx4 series, take a look at this thread before you buy one:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053202&page=25
I've intentionally linked you to what is (at the time of this post) the last page of the thread -- just in case anyone tells you recent firmware fixes all the problems.

Also, on this board and AVS, there are quite a few threads like 'Best receiver under $300', 'Best receiver under $400', etc. Reading through those will acquaint you with product you should be looking out for -- then if you find one of THOSE products at a discount you'll be ready!

It's important to understand that most HDMI issues are handshake related. No receiver is immune to handshake issues.

And there are many satisfied AVR 247 owners.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
My bad on linking to the HK xx4 thread -- similar problems with the xx7's:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=868358&page=75

If you learn one thing in your research, noaudexp, it's not to buy a modern receiver without a factory authorized warranty. The last thing you want is to have to face your wife with a broken unit and no way to get it fixed.

Yet another source of info, this review includes the 576 and the 1909:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/node/10081
Save the .pdf file to your computer to read it in a full sized window.
The UK audio market differs from ours in product usage, relative pricing and availability, so their relative value judgements may not apply in our market, but there's lots of good info.

Noaudexp, what speakers did you get? And how big is your room? Inexpensive receivers can have trouble playing loud in a big room, and/or with low impedance speakers.

K

Kermee

Audiophyte
Dell (Accessories) has the Yamaha HTR-6140BL (RX-V463) for $209.99 & Free Shipping after a 30% coupon right now.

Cheers,
Kermee

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
I do not need the receiver right away but I would like to test the speakers and sub I just purchased. Today I am hoping my Logitech X-540 can power them.
Be careful with that. I don't know what speakers have you bought, but they might be too hard for the Logitech amp to handle. That amp was designed to work with a specific set of tiny speakers. It might start clipping and damage your new speakers.

To see if the speakers are at least working you can use a simple mp3 player and connect it to each speaker at a time. It will be safer.

noaudexp

noaudexp

Audioholic Intern
The room is 25' x 15' x 8'. It's a sideways Garrison so it runs longest West to East. On the S wall is the fireplace above which is the 40' LCD TV.

I am going to take some photos.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My bad on linking to the HK xx4 thread -- similar problems with the xx7's:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=868358&page=75

If you learn one thing in your research, noaudexp, it's not to buy a modern receiver without a factory authorized warranty. The last thing you want is to have to face your wife with a broken unit and no way to get it fixed.

Yet another source of info, this review includes the 576 and the 1909:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/node/10081
Save the .pdf file to your computer to read it in a full sized window.
The UK audio market differs from ours in product usage, relative pricing and availability, so their relative value judgements may not apply in our market, but there's lots of good info.

Noaudexp, what speakers did you get? And how big is your room? Inexpensive receivers can have trouble playing loud in a big room, and/or with low impedance speakers.
All HK amps come with a 2 year warranty including refurbs so if there is an issue they will fix it or send you a better unit. Every receiver has the potential for handshake issue. Even my Onkyo 705 had problems with my HDTV tuner. It was the tuner not the receiver that caused the issue, but still Handshake issues can be resolved with a power cycle usually.

I just hooked up my HK 247 AVR last night and it has good power and is working just fine. Plus you get an extra year of warranty over many of the other companies refurbs. 2 years is longer than 1 year. ;)

I will be testing it on my PS3 soon, but I doubt I will have any real problems. Every receiver can have issues. But that's why they have warranties. many of the above poster receivers probably suffer from issues as well. Most receivers don't have problems from a model/brand.

I think the deal is very good for the price. I don't think you should waste too much money on a receiver. Speakers are far more important. Save your money for great speakers not the receiver/amp portion.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
noaudexp

noaudexp

Audioholic Intern
East Wall

West Wall

North Wall

South Wall

The South wall being the entertainment center of the room. I ran all the wires behind the TV and into that recessed cabinet to the left.

So there's a total of 4 doors and 2 windows in this room. So there's Glass, small amount of wood, carpet and sheetrock for materials. I'm planning on putting the sub in that locked space below the shelving in the recessed cabinet area. I want to get some kind of barrier that won't block the sound but also won't allow curious fingers at my gear. :eek:

Speaker placement is going to be an issue with all those openings. I haven't even researched where those should go.

noaudexp

noaudexp

Audioholic Intern
Then just stick with what you have those speakers aren't worth enough to add a 500 receiver too. Speakers should cost around 4 times more than the device powering them.
Well that's just it... I have nothing. I do not own anything that will carry a 5.1 signal. Which was why I was looking for the cheapest. I know this gear isn't the greatest but I'm not daddy Warbucks. I have to buy something to split the signal and drive all 6 speakers. The TV does L & R. Maybe next year around tax return time I'll get better speakers and ebay or CL these book shelf dealies.

I was tentatively planning on putting the center above the TV, it's too hazardous to mount it below the mantle.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
Well, there ARE inexpensive 5.1 receivers -- go to @mazon, type "5.1 receiver" in the Search box, and select Sort by: "Price - Low to High". the first page and most of the second page are "stuff" not receivers; go to the bottom of page 2 and you'll see both the Sherwood RD-6105 and the Sherwood RD-6500 for about $100. Keep going to see more expensive options.

Realize that the failure rate for receivers this cheap is pretty high, and most are non-repairable (the manufacturers do not stock repair parts). So try it out right away, and realize it may only last a year (although many last much longer).

A very good case can also be made for HTIB (Home Theater In a Box) systems when one is starting out and on a tight budget. And you are not alone -- the best selling stereo system a few years ago was a Sony HTIB.
Do your research here as well -- Panasonic used to make the best ones (based on sound quality) but that was several years ago . . .

noaudexp

noaudexp

Audioholic Intern
Ok well I bought the Yamaha RX-V465 for $296.95 from audioholics store. Came with a 3yr warranty. used the promo code AUDIOHOLICS to get 10% off the list price of $329

We came on a winfall of cash. Our in-laws moved in with us and they felt they should contribute to the purchase of the big TV so we had enough extra for the receiver.

I hear it's less weight than last years models but it has everything I'm looking for and to be honest I somehow do not believe I will notice this difference. This is on top of the fact that I have no clue what lesser weight in a receiver means.

Anyway it's specs are great, it does 5.1 and decodes everything so my pcm over hdmi is a non-issue. I almost bought one of the new sonys but they are not out yet.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on the new purchase, and thanks for the coupon code! I didn't know they had that discount.

I just saw your pictures today. Kids are precious, but I'm glad that I don't have any - it looks like a toy bomb went off in there. :D

T

TimPFla

Audioholic Intern
Congrats on your new receiver!! I'm sure you will be very happy with it. And Adam the comment on the toy bomb, I don't have any kids but when my niece and nephews come over, YIKES!!!! The toys are all over the darn place. It's funny because after they leave and I pick up it looks like a brand new house everytime LOL!!!.. Anyways I bought the Pioneer 918 and am VERY happy with that...Ipod works great and I will soon have a PS3 for my blu ray needs. I CAN"T WAIT... The Sony Sub works GREAT...When I finally build my house I will get something better because I want to hear the KFP scene in all it's glory

D

delacroix333

Audiophyte
lsiberian,

Have you had any issues with the PS3? Are you happy with the HK AVR-247? The other choice on my list for best value is the Yamaha RX-V463, and choosing between the two is hard. Sorry to hijack the thread, I can't do PM's cause I'm new and I didn't want to start a similar thread...

I just hooked up my HK 247 AVR last night and it has good power and is working just fine. Plus you get an extra year of warranty over many of the other companies refurbs. 2 years is longer than 1 year. ;)

I will be testing it on my PS3 soon, but I doubt I will have any real problems. Every receiver can have issues. But that's why they have warranties. many of the above poster receivers probably suffer from issues as well. Most receivers don't have problems from a model/brand.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis