armed

Audioholic Intern
new guy here, can i use a fullrange speakers for center channel?:confused:
i thinking about making my own center channel,,thanks in advance
any comments? suggestions?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You sure can. Based on your setup you'd have to raise the TV and get rid of the little stand in order to such a thing.

R

ridikas

Banned
Center channel is one of the hardest speakers to DIY, because it has to be a three-way (with the tweeter and midrange vertically oriented) if it's going to sound any good and have good horizontal off-axis response. If it doesn't look like this, don't bother: SVS Ultra Series Center Full Screen Image — Reviews and News from Audioholics

What is your budget? You can save a lot of time, money, and headaches if you just buy one.

Even something like this: Energy RCLCR 3-way black Reference-series right center left speaker | Vanns.com

Full range drivers have poor high frequencies and low. They are terrible off-axis. They still need a crossover, i.e. Zobel, notch, etc.

You can try using a coaxial speaker. But again, it will need a crossover, unless you have a calibrated mic, LspCad, soundcard, etc. Why bother?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Center channel is one of the hardest speakers to DIY, because it has to be a three-way (with the tweeter and midrange vertically oriented) if it's going to sound any good and have good horizontal off-axis response.
That's a totally ridiklas statement. I guess you've never heard of MTM?

But, ultimately, i don't think a full range would be the way to go due to the inherent beaming as the frequencies go up.

What is your budget? You can save a lot of time, money, and headaches if you just buy one.
This, i will agree with.

Last edited:
R

ridikas

Banned
That's a totally ridiklas statement. I guess you've never heard of MTM?

But, ultimately, i don't think a full range would be the way to go due to the inherent beaming as the frequencies go up.

This, i will agree with.
MTM center channels positioned horizontally have horrible horizontal off-axis response. I would never use one myself.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The best driver for a center channel is the Loki Coaxial.

The Madisound Speaker Store

It's a bit pricey, but it's a fantastic driver. Horizontal orientation wouldn't be an issue and it's capable of taking a lot of power.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Think about who you are talking to :)
I hear ya, but OP should be aware that there are actually knowledgeable people here who are willing to help him, not hold him back in order to satiate their own ego.

And, I didn't misspell anything in my initial post.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I hear ya, but OP should be aware that there are actually knowledgeable people here who are willing to help him, not hold him back in order to satiate their own ego.

And, I didn't misspell anything in my initial post.
I already had the MTM discussion with this person and that is sort of a dead end discussion.

I agree too though that buying vs building is likely the way to go on this one. Can a DIY be done in this case? Sure, but it will be far more difficult, and likely more expensive.

To armed, do you have experience building a speaker at all? If you've never built one, I'm going to say you might want to try a kit speaker first, which has the crossover already designed for the drivers that are included, and see if you can find one that will fit the space you have.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I already had the MTM discussion with this person and that is sort of a dead end discussion.

I agree too though that buying vs building is likely the way to go on this one. Can a DIY be done in this case? Sure, but it will be far more difficult, and likely more expensive.

To armed, do you have experience building a speaker at all? If you've never built one, I'm going to say you might want to try a kit speaker first, which has the crossover already designed for the drivers that are included, and see if you can find one that will fit the space you have.
If the OP is an experience woodworker with the proper tools I certainly think a kit would work. Or if the OP wants to do it for fun. The Loki is a kit that TLS uses for his main setup. If the OP is interested in a more advanced build there is a thread where TLS talks about his use of the driver I linked.

A

armed

Audioholic Intern
yes i do have some experience/tools to build stuff...i started with car audio, and just recently i got the HT bug... i just want to be able to say i built it and sounded good..:eek:..
my only concern with fullrange speakers.. for me, they dont sound good off axis..maybe get 3 fullrange speakers spread out? 1 to the front and 2 kinda pointing a little to the side (just a bit)

and with 2 way, i think theres gaps between freqs,..i figure fullrange speakers would cover these gaps..unless i go 3way,,,and i kinda dont want to spend a lot of money for a good 3way center speakers..

150 i guess is my budget(speakers) ...not that much.. i got everything i need to build it

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There are no gaps if the speaker is properly designed, which is why a kit is recommended, so you don't have to figure out the crossover and driver selection. A full range driver will certainly work though.

What is your budget? You don't have to spend a LOT of money to get a decent center.

A

armed

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the suggestions...
150 i guess is my budget if im going to build it

the cheap ones i could afford doesnt come with any crossovers..
1 capacitor for the tweeter thats it...

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
thanks for the suggestions...
200 i guess is my budget if im going to build it

the cheap ones i could afford doesnt come with any crossovers..
1 capacitor for the tweeter thats it...
The Loki kit is all you need for a center channel.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Center channel is one of the hardest speakers to DIY, because it has to be a three-way (with the tweeter and midrange vertically oriented) if it's going to sound any good and have good horizontal off-axis response. If it doesn't look like this, don't bother:
If the OP is going to be the primary listener and in front of the MTM then it will work just fine. Get too far off axis you have a problem in that scenario.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My mains are MTMs and they perform very well off axis. With three speakers up front, properly positioned, off axis is really not much of an issue unless you have weird seating.

R

ridikas

Banned
My mains are MTMs and they perform very well off axis. With three speakers up front, properly positioned, off axis is really not much of an issue unless you have weird seating.
That is a very false statement. We are talking about center channels here, not the front speakers in general. Of course MTMs as the front left and right sound good and measure good off-axis. That's because they are positioned vertically. An MTM center speaker, which is positioned horizontally is where the problems start. Of course it will sound good if you're sitting in the center, but that shouldn't be an excuse for a poorly designed center channel.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is a very false statement. We are talking about center channels here, not the front speakers in general. Of course MTMs as the front left and right sound good and measure good off-axis. That's because they are positioned vertically. An MTM center speaker, which is positioned horizontally is where the problems start. Of course it will sound good if you're sitting in the center, but that shouldn't be an excuse for a poorly designed center channel.
You make the 100% incorrect assumption that all MTMs are not properly designed :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis