Ceiling mount ideas?

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
I have no choice but to mount my projector on the ceiling which creates a small problem, or a large one depending on your point of view.

The rooms cold air return is in the middle of the ceiling and the projector would need to be one side or the other from it. This means dust of course !
For throw calculations, either way works.

I just got my Epson 8700 yesterday, and have not yet checked whether the air flow is front to rear or rear to front, but my feeling is to mount the output side to the register so i'm not drawing dust laden air through the projector.
I don't know if i have any other option !

Its way too late to move the cold air duct, and i'm kicking myself for not having done so when i rebuilt the room, but its done now, and i have green glued double drywall and blown insulation up there now.

What do you think ?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
My PJ is pretty close to the cold air vent, behind it. I thought it was actually a lucky thing to keep it cool. :)

I clean out the dust filter only every once in a while. When it used to be upright on a bookshelf, it seemed almost never got dirty at all. Now as upside down with mount, I prolly only clean it every few months, if even that much. It's not that bad, to be frank.

However, if you have a 3LCD PJ, I would definitely be more worried about dust blobs. Mine is 3LCOS and therefore uses sealed light paths.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i would have no problem mounting my pj right "on" my hvac return. if you think you have a dust problem, perhaps you should look into the dust problem. and not the pj mounting issue. ymmv

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
Well thanks for that creative piece of constructive insight. As dust is mainly dead skin cells from my lovely family, what do you suggest I do with them ?

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

i didn't mean to sound harsh, please excuse.

vacuum, dust, "good" filter on the machine*. perhaps a better filter on the furnace ?
did you figure out the airflow on the machine yet ?

how about this. when the furnace is on, take a strong light and hold it "just so". so that you can see how much dust is up there.

*my pj came with a really crappy filter. i put a MUCH better filter in it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well thanks for that creative piece of constructive insight. As dust is mainly dead skin cells from my lovely family, what do you suggest I do with them ?
You let your family into your theater space? This needs to be stopped immediately.

If you insist upon this ludicrous path, then may I suggest something like this to ensure that the dust issues are kept to a minimum:

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
Sorry, I wasn't implying you were being harsh, that was my attempt at a humorous response !

Seriously though, the airflow through the Epson is rear to front, and my throw configuration would be best with the air return in front of the lens anyway, so thats what i'll do. At worst I guess it will probably just need cleaned out more often than it otherwise would.

Love the hazmat suit :D. I guess if that was a requirement, i would definitely get the theater to myself, wouldn't I !

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Sorry, I wasn't implying you were being harsh, that was my attempt at a humorous response !

Seriously though, the airflow through the Epson is rear to front, and my throw configuration would be best with the air return in front of the lens anyway, so thats what i'll do. At worst I guess it will probably just need cleaned out more often than it otherwise would.
its all good man. what i do, when trying to be a joker, is put one of these = :D at the end of the implied joke.

yeah, thats what i would do. and while the pj and furnace/ac is on, you will be able to see just how much dust is moving around up there.

umr

umr

Enthusiast
Another thing to consider is the image can be disrupted by air turbulence. Be sure the air movement is not turbulent in front of the projector lens.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis