CD Transport replacement

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
I have an older CD player, a DBX DX 5. I decided to put it up against the Rotel RCC-1055 I picked up a couple of days ago. The Rotel plays a little better, by that I mean that I can hear slight difference in the music. Some things sound a little clearer, guitars seems to stand out a little more (from the CDs I have listened to so far). All in all, the DBX is, in my mind, not ready to put out to pasture. Sure, I never had the remote but all the functions are on the front panel. All the other disc players I had have not sounded as good as this one. I lucked out and got it when a department store found it in their stock room and had no paperwork on it so they sold it as is. Why am I so intent on keeping it? It sounds good for a unit that is at least 12yrs old and the Rotel is not that much of a difference from what I can hear. Maybe with a whole new system the difference might show more but, I could use it when I don't want folks messing with my good stuff.

Now, if I am asking the impossible here let me know however, I was wondering if there is a way to replace the transport in the older unit. Nothing to do with the sound really, it has been skipping a bit lately and nothing I have done makes it goes away. It seems as the player gets warmer, this happens. Now I don't know enough about this but I am hoping that someone may be able to point me to a shop that would be willing to help with this. Hopefully it won't be expensive to do, if that is the case I would just have to seek out another option. Thanks for any help you can provide.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
waynerm002 said:
I have an older CD player, a DBX DX 5. I decided to put it up against the Rotel RCC-1055 I picked up a couple of days ago. The Rotel plays a little better, by that I mean that I can hear slight difference in the music. Some things sound a little clearer, guitars seems to stand out a little more (from the CDs I have listened to so far). All in all, the DBX is, in my mind, not ready to put out to pasture. Sure, I never had the remote but all the functions are on the front panel. All the other disc players I had have not sounded as good as this one. I lucked out and got it when a department store found it in their stock room and had no paperwork on it so they sold it as is. Why am I so intent on keeping it? It sounds good for a unit that is at least 12yrs old and the Rotel is not that much of a difference from what I can hear. Maybe with a whole new system the difference might show more but, I could use it when I don't want folks messing with my good stuff.

Now, if I am asking the impossible here let me know however, I was wondering if there is a way to replace the transport in the older unit. Nothing to do with the sound really, it has been skipping a bit lately and nothing I have done makes it goes away. It seems as the player gets warmer, this happens. Now I don't know enough about this but I am hoping that someone may be able to point me to a shop that would be willing to help with this. Hopefully it won't be expensive to do, if that is the case I would just have to seek out another option. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Just imagine how different it would sound under bias controlled protocols and level matched :D

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
Cool functions

Actually this player has three additional controls on the panel; DAIR (Digital Audio Impact Recovery), Ambience and Compress (Variable Over Easy Compression). With these controls, you can add a whole new realm to the music. Which is the main reason I am so fond of this unit. The skipping has been so bad that I was annoyed and want to replace it. Now after having picked up a player of good quality, I feel that if I could get this thing repaired, I won't need a newer player.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am in the DC Metro area. If there is a good shop locally I would take it in for them to look at it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis