CD player which doesn't cut off start

T

timbat

Enthusiast
I have had trouble with CD players which cut off the first fraction of a second of tracks. I am now looking at YAMAHA CDS 300. Is this player free of this fault? If not can you recommend a player which doesn't cut off the start of tracks? I don't want a mobile player but a mains powered one which stands on the shelf.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Are these ripped CDs? of RedBook? sounds like a TAO rip

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Does it happen with every CD..?

It may not be the CD player that "cuts off the sound", but your receiver instead...

When a receiver "receives" a digital signal, it needs to "decode" that signal... (decide what codec to use)

That "decoding" may take a moment... hence the "cutting off of sound" of the CD track...

Hope that makes sense...

T

timbat

Enthusiast
This happens with all CDs, My own recorded CDs and commercial CDs. My old player (before it packed up) didn't have this fault.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

How is the CD player hooked up to your receiver... is it a digital or analog connection..?

T

timbat

Enthusiast
This is just a normal CD player which gives an analogue audio output which goes into an ordinary audio amplifier.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is just a normal CD player which gives an analogue audio output which goes into an ordinary audio amplifier.
I'm wondering if this just happens on recent CD, or on CD's that you have acquired recently. I say this as I have come across CDs of late that have sloppy mastering and the lead in is shorter than spec. On these discs you can overcome the problem by starting the disc and then stopping it. Then start it again and unless the disc is totally rogue, it will then start correctly. Have you tried this?

I see now that this is happening on every track. Your player is faulty and not reading the disc properly.

I think any CD player in proper operating condition will not have this problem.

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
The culprit may be the autoplay feature if you have that enabled. That's something I have learned to disable because of the start getting cut off.

Jim

T

timbat

Enthusiast
I don't know if I have an autoplay feature. This CD player has no remote control, and the buttons on the front are REPEAT RANDOM PREV NEXT PLAY/PAUSE STOP OPEN/CLOSE

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don't know if I have an autoplay feature. This CD player has no remote control, and the buttons on the front are REPEAT RANDOM PREV NEXT PLAY/PAUSE STOP OPEN/CLOSE
What is this player and how old is it? My guess is it is very old and that's your problem.

I would think any new player will be free of the problem you are complaining about.

T

timbat

Enthusiast
It's not very old, I bought it this year. It is TIBO TI 410

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It's not very old, I bought it this year. It is TIBO TI 410
So you bought this unmitigated load of junk for 600 Quid and are now here asking for advice because the junk does not work properly.

This is the answer to your question and we have to give the same answer again and again.

Do not buy junk, it is the most expensive purchase you can make.

I note there are tons of owners trying to offload this junk on eBay and Gumtree.

Now you have to join them and go off and buy some decent gear, and join the others doing the same.

T

timbat

Enthusiast
I only bought the CD player not the rest of it, and how was I to know it was junk? Can you recommend a good player which doesn't cut off the start?

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Where are you located and what are willing to spend for a new CD player...?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I only bought the CD player not the rest of it, and how was I to know it was junk? Can you recommend a good player which doesn't cut off the start?
He is in the UK, so no use recommending US 120 volt players.

Your first clue it was junk should have been the price.

Most people stream now and the demand for CD players is in decline. In addition there is a lot consumers into AV and DVD and BD players all will play CDs. There is no longer economy of scale in manufacturing decent stand alone CD players.

I have been on Watt-HiFi, and you have to give a little money now for something any good.

I recommend this one.

T

timbat

Enthusiast
I am in London England. I paid about £100 for it. The reason I don't want a Blu-ray/DVD/CD player is I don't want to have to use a menu on a video screen to operate it. I don't need a remote either. I just want play, back, forward and open/close buttons on the player.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am in London England. I paid about £100 for it. The reason I don't want a Blu-ray/DVD/CD player is I don't want to have to use a menu on a video screen to operate it. I don't need a remote either. I just want play, back, forward and open/close buttons on the player.
I know where you are coming from about DVD/BD players needing a screen for set up.

However because of lack of demand stand alone CD player prices are on the rise.

I really could not see a player on a quick glance that is worth having that is less then the one I recommended.

I thought I might find a decent one for around 100 GBP but I could not. They seemed to have significant shortcomings.

Marantz have always made pretty decent players.

I have not heard of a recent player not having a remote. If it does not have one it is likely in the junk category. You don't have to use the remote if you don't have to.

One other thing you have to remember is that the UK has a lot bigger junk market then the US, because your VAT and other issues inflate your prices so much.

If that nasty fascist Comrade Corbyn and his vile henchmen ever get the reigns of power, which Heaven forbid they ever do, then everyone will be in abject poverty.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would be looking for a Parasound ZCD at about the $200 price range (whatever that translates to Euros).

The black model seems to be able to handle the UK power, but the silver doesn't (just looking at the rear panel), you should double check that it will work in your country.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I would be looking for a Parasound ZCD at about the $200 price range (whatever that translates to Euros).

The black model seems to be able to handle the UK power, but the silver doesn't (just looking at the rear panel), you should double check that it will work in your country.

First of all the UK does not use Euros! It is in the EEC for now, but likely will leave. It has never been part of that disaster called the Eurozone.

The UK uses Pounds Sterling issues by the Bank of England.

1 US dollar converts to 0.67 Pounds Sterling today.

The next issue is that the Parasound will be subject to import VAT. In addition all EU countries have Value Added Tax, that makes everything much more expensive than here. The taxes are hidden as published prices include VAT.

Since the US is not an EU country the item will be subject to import VAT of 20% and then another 20% on top of that at retail. So with freight and incidentals it would end up a little over 200 GBP most likely, or around $300 in US terms.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis