Calibration/BM help needed: Denon 3803/2200 + D-12 sub !

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
Hi folks – forgive the newbie here,

I know there are many calibration/BM threads and I read through many, but when I look into my setup options, it only adds to the confusion.
Below I'll post some questions and would like some of you to comment on them in simple language (although I am a techie).

I just bought the Carver/Dominator D-12 sub and want to add it to my Denon AVR-3803, Denon DVD-2200, Paradigm Monitor 9, Paradigm Minis setup. So, it’s an ideal time for calibration and Bass Management procedures and I am ready: bought RS SPL (digital) meter, tripoid and have Realtraps’ tone test CD (http://www.realtraps.com/ptest-cd.htm) as well as the one from www.testaudio.com
Aha, I also purchased an old 10-band stereo equalizer BSR EQ3000 and am all ready to optimize it all together (this weekend, hopefully – with your help?)

I know basics of calibration and Bass Management processes, problem is that with my system you can do it independently in its components, which complicates the situation even more.

1) First I will try to find the perfect spot for my sub (“Crawling for bass.." article etc.). I will set my X-over in sub control to “Bypass” as suggested by Mr.Carver.

2) My universal DVD-2200 is connected with 3803 in 3-ways: by Dig.coax, 2 RCA Analog stereo and 6 RCA Analog 5.1 for EXT.IN input
Should I use any of 2200’s internal calibration procedures first (for analog audio outputs), before using the internal ones from receiver, before using the test CDs ?
*reasoning: that’s how the sound will be processed for the analog connection, which I am using most of the time, esp. for SACD/DVD-A applications
3)If Yes, then should I use the available +10db gain for subwoofer in that DVDs “Channel Setup” - before making measurements?
4)Should I set the Bass Enhancer (2 channels, analog) option to ON before the measurements?
*reasoning: I’d like the SW output with 2 channel stereo.
5)How does any of the above and the Bass Management setup in DVD (speakers and fixed X-ver 80hz ) affect the similar procedures in the receiver, which I still have to do ?
*in other words:does the BM done in 2200 “accumulate” with BM in 3803 ? ( like the SW gains) - again, I am talking here only about ANALOG connections
6)Moving to 3803: again, should I use its internal calibration before using the test CDs ?
7)If Yes, then should I use the available 0-15db gain for subwoofer in receiver’s “Channel Setup” - before making measurements?

8)After it's all done and possibly I'll find some problems with bass section (nulls, peaks) – can it be somehow corrected with applying that simple BSR EQ3000, which has only 31.5HZ, 63Hz and 125Hz controls in the “bass range” ?

Sorry for the long post and lots of questions, but I see that many folks here have similar equipment and (hopefully) much more experience than me.
Much obliged for any input :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis