j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the reply. My only real concern is that the back of the Rythmik LV-12R will have to be 3" from the wall, and I wonder how that would effect the sound. I called and spoke with someone at Rythmik, and while nice enough, seemed to want to up sell me immediately to their more expensive 15" sub. However he did recommend at least 6" of space between the rear of the sub and wall, but mainly because "the amp gets so hot".......Any thoughts?
That's likely true about most subs these days amp wise (a few inches for air flow), and you kind of don't really want any sub right up against the wall if you can avoid it. I have my Empire within a 6" inches of the wall, but at a slight angle so there's a pretty good gap behind the amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
My wife isn't crazy about the "fuzzy trashcan" living in our living room, and the other option SVS said would work great, although just a little different, was the SB12-NSD which my wife likes, a lot. I understand the sealed sub won't dig as deep as the cylinder, but SVS said they had no doubt it would dig deeper than the CSX-12, "and by a long shot". At this point I'm leaning towards the sealed SB12-NSD in gloss black. I have decided 100% on SVS and have researched, but ruled out for one reason or another the likes of Rythmik, Outlaw, ect...

So based on my only logical choice of the sealed SB12 in my 23x16 room, do you guys have any strong opinions on whether or not I'm actually upgrading over the CSX-12, or is it more of a lateral move?

EDIT: The Rythmik F12 also fits my requirements, but is on the upper end (actually a bit over, but doable) of my budget. What say you guys in regards to the SB12?
Here is a review:

SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

Here is a relevant part:

LSVSSB12NSDCEA2010CHART.PNG

SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer Review Measurements and Analysis | Audioholics

though you should compare with these numbers for the Cadence:

Keep in mind, S&V reports CEA 2010 burst output @ 1m, peak, so you'd have to subtract 9dB to normalize to Josh's 2m, RMS figures. As such, the 2m RMS numbers are:

20Hz: 82.3dB
25Hz: 96.4dB
32Hz: 104.1dB
40Hz: 108.2dB
50Hz: 112.9dB
63Hz: 116.6dB
As you can see, small and sealed costs you in output.

But, it is still a much flatter frequency response than the Cadence:

SVS claims a frequency response of 23-270Hz +/-3dB in the same type of measurement environment. This measurement actually betters the claimed response by fitting into a 6dB total window size from 21-300Hz.

SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer Review Measurements and Analysis | Audioholics

It is a much better subwoofer than the Cadence, but it isn't going to give you more output (overall; it will at the lowest frequencies, but will actually be less at the highest frequencies, assuming that S&V kept their numbers with the same levels of distortion as Audioholics did for the SVS).

Can you hide a cylinder subwoofer in a corner of the room?

D Bone

D Bone

Audioholic Intern
Wow Pyrrho, thanks for your effort! I am about to throw you, and in truth myself, a curve ball......Actually a knuckle ball. I stumbled across Power Source Audio's XS15 sealed sub that absolutely fits all of my requirements, so I called and spoke to Tom and he patiently answered all of my questions, and long story short, I am now a PSA customer. I have to admit, I knew nothing about PSA until last night, so I crammed as much researching into their company and sub as I could today and came away impressed. Tom did recommend the XV15 for a room my size in a perfect world, but had zero doubts assuring me that the XS15 would out perform the Cadence CSX-12 II by a large degree in the lower bass region, when I told him that the bigger XV15 would not fit my WAF requirements. That's how quick it can happen..........Tons of research on my part was great, but a 7 minute phone call sealed the deal.

Thanks to everyone who took time out of their day to help me, it is very much appreciated.

Darryl

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There's plenty of stuff about PSA on here too and yes, Tom is a great guy and you made a great choice there. Kind of a leap from starting with the Cadence, but no doubt you will be pleased.

D Bone

D Bone

Audioholic Intern
I just pulled the trigger on a PB-1000 to replace my Cadence CSX-12 II. I researched SVS, Rythmik, Outlaw and Power Sound Audio and in the end, the PB-1000 hit all of the important check boxes in our criteria for a replacement sub. Jman's review was very helpful, as was S&V's test of both the PB-1000 and the PB12-NSD. I was surprised at just how close the PB-1000 tested compared to its bigger, and more expensive brother according to S&V. Here are the numbers from S&V along with my CSX-12 for comparison sake:

PB-1000 Results:
Frequency response
18 Hz to 177 Hz, ±3 dB
Bass output (CEA-2010A standard)
• Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 113.0 dB
20 Hz 110.6 dB
25 Hz 113.0 dB
31.5 Hz 114.9 dB
• Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 121.6 dB
40 Hz 119.8 dB
50 Hz 122.2 dB
63 Hz 122.5 dB

PB12-NSD Results:
Frequency response
19 to 272 Hz ±3 dB
• Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 111.0 dB
20 Hz 110.2 dB
25 Hz 110.8 dB
31.5 Hz 112.1 dB
• Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 118.1 dB
40 Hz 119.0 dB
50 Hz 120.3 dB
63 Hz 115.1 dB

Cadence CSX-12 II Results:
Frequency response
34 to 154 Hz: ±3 dB
• Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 103.2 dB
20 Hz 91.3 dB
25 Hz 105.4 dB
31.5 Hz 113.1 dB
• Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 121.6 dB
40 Hz 117.2 dB
50 Hz 121.9 dB
63 Hz 125.6 dB

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PB1000 is a much newer design than the PB-12, so I'd say that tells a story of a very good new driver in the PB1000 coupled with that amp yields great results.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I still think S+V has some screwed up test procedure. There's no reason for the PB-1000 to have better results than the PB12-NSD (also, compare their results of the PB12-NSD to those of audioholics/ricci).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I still think S+V has some screwed up test procedure. There's no reason for the PB-1000 to have better results than the PB12-NSD (also, compare their results of the PB12-NSD to those of audioholics/ricci).
I don't trust S&Vs numbers ever, but it doesn't surprise me that the PB1000 does well; though I would be surprised if those numbers are true because I don't see it actually beating the PB12.

Last edited:
D Bone

D Bone

Audioholic Intern
I spoke to someone at SVS and he seemed to agree with S&V's results, as we talked about the data in depth and he knew exactly what I was talking about and didn't find fault with the results. He said the 12 would provide more headroom at the loudest SPLs, but once I told him how we watch movies (-10 to -15 MV) in our 5.1 living room based system, he said the PB-1000 would be the perfect fit and did not try to up sell me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis