P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
I Just bought a iKon speaker system and it looks pretty sweet, its just that i havnt heard of a company called iKon before nor can i fin the on the net

anyways, the two front speakers have 2 8'' woofers 1 8'' mid ranger speaker
a tweeter, 2 built in 10'' subs and a built in 500w amp - thats on the two front speakers.

now, that to me that sounds sweet
but since ive never heard of these guys before, im not too sure of there quality.

what are ur thoughts?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Where did you buy it? Net? Ebay? I tried looking it up on google and found something on some German guy who mfg. them in the 50's. I'm sure it's a different speaker. Post the link that you bought it from or local store.

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
the store i bought it was in Square one shopping mall in ontario
its not a big box store, its called world sound and vision but they dont have a website. Anyways i tried looking up the speakers myself and could only find out that there based out of quebec.

the rep said they are a subsidery of harmon. but i looked all over and could not find nothing.
on the back of the manual and it says '2004 Jam industries'
so i looked up jam industries and they are in relation to jbl and what not, im calling the store today to find out more

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I'm getting somewhere.

Jam Industries is some type of distributor.

www.jamindustries.com/e/about_us.html

The audio section of the company operates under Erikson Consumer:

www.eriksonconsumer.com/

They are the distributors for Harman Kardon, Infinity, and JBL which makes mid to high end audio equipment. If your speakers are one of those three, then that's a positive. Infinity has the best home speakers, JBL offers the best cinema type commercial threater speakers, and Harman Kardon offers the best receivers of the three.

Last edited:
P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
Found It!

ok im at work, i went on break and one of the mags had a full page advert on the ikon line uop
and i found it!

www.ikon-audio.com

like wth!!! i type in in google and i get nothing
ah well
now i just ave to figure out if there good quality :confused:

C

cuse4284

Enthusiast
just curious as to how much you spent on those. they look they pretty sweet speakers. how's the sound out of them?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
The store he bought them from is real enough. I am not a fan of them. They used to be a much bigger chain than they are now. They are famous for super high intense, don't take no for an answer, how about if I knock $8000 off of that $10000 purchase sales pitches. I posted a link to their webpage and in their flyer they show only the Ikon speakers and a HTIB by a brand named Cody that also sells at Wallmart. Oh yeah, and in the ads they have the IKONS hooked up to a HK335, and then they pawned off a pioneer 515 on this poor guy. This store also sold Nuance speakers, a brand that is famous for not allowing their products to be reviewed by anyone under any circumstance. Nuance is also a brand that has been repeatedly sued for less than honest business practices.

I think that Placebo is lucky if he likes his speakers, I would not suggest anyone else follow his lead until the products are reviewed. As for the store it is called "World Sound & Vision. I found this little blurb by researching Ikon speakers on google.
What about that chain that I believe was based in Western Canada who opened stores in some non-prime Ontario shopping malls? They sold "Nuance" speakers with a phenomenally high pressure sales style. The salespeople knew nothing about audio, but plenty about high pressure sales tactics. They would make claims like Nuance were the best selling speakers in the country, etc.
They used Q-Sound enhanced demo's and cranked the volume through the roof to sell the average Joe on the speakers. I couldn't believe that these things actually sold. They sounded like utter ****e! I'm not sure if the company is out of business, but I certainly hope so. They were basically running a white-van style operation within reputable shopping malls like Promenade and the Oshawa Centre. I'm pretty sure that the landlords caught on eventually. Does anyone know what happened to these wastes of space?
This was posted on Canuckaudiomart.com under the fraud warnings section. Sorry if I'm violating any copyright laws, but I'm sure the author would appreciate the info being out there. It is a story similar to what I am telling. I live in Oshawa, the city he mentions, and they were indeed kicked out by the mall.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Notice how there is no phone number on the site? How about literature or dealers?

Placebo will be financing those for 5 years thanks to high pressure sales tactics and a 3 day return policy. He'll be 26 before they are paid for.

He would have done better with the cheaper Fluance (~$500) or Canyon Audio speakers ($527). I am almost certain they are probably similar quality.
With what he's spent on those speakers, he should be spending $2500 on a receiver, not Pioneer's bargain basement excuse for a clock radio. He said his brother knows the manager of the store. His brother should kick the manager upside the head for what he's done and how he's ripped off a family member.

www.fluance.com/centerspeakers.html

www.canyonaudio.com/310-tsc_features.htm

W

wowow

Audiophyte
that is so weird yesterday i went into the same store and they tried the same thing from me , i was confused ...then i did a search and found this thread ... i too am trying to find a 5.1 speaker system and i also stumbled on this ""The truth about Nuance Speakers

A salesman said they are the #1 selling speaker in Canada. Is this true?

Probably not but a lot of people do buy them. Nuance audio is a Canadian speaker company based in Markham Ontario that is sold throughout the country in various shopping malls and stores. In any given store that sells these you may be looking for a specific product (like a DVD player) but the salesperson will want to show you these "amazing new speakers". So off you go to the demo room."" ( im not sure if im allowed to post a thread from another forum ...sorry) can anyone elaborate and tell me if this is the same company or thing ?? i also heard the wood chopping from ikon they called it the "breakthrough "" lol

3 other speaker systems i was looking at are
A)Fluance™ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System SX-HTB 5
B)streem HT-200 system
)streem HT-808

can anyone tell me if these companys are the same kind of thing ???
i want to stay under the $500can mark if possible

any advise would greatly be appreciated ..and i apologise if i have posted incorrectly

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
All those speaker systems are the same as Ikon, but the last three are ebay specials, and much cheaper. You won't get raked over the coals with the last two. For $500, Fluance is fine. If you don't need floorstanders, check out www.bicamerica.com. They are a big step up and are very affordable speakers. Athena Audition series are also very good and Best Buy is running a clearance on them as we speak.

W

wowow

Audiophyte
thanx so ur saying i should be ok with pretty much anyof them ??? ( sorry if i misunderstood )
i see future shop had a deal on some athenas (it was posted on the site )
the reason i like the ht 200 is because it comes with bi polars
ive never heard of bicamerica ...are they that good?

and thank you for the response ..im trying to get any kind of help as i am starting from scratch ...

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Go for the Athena setup if you can get one from a local Futureshop. The whole setup is $300 plus tax, but it has an MSRP of over $750 Cad and comes with dipoles that retail at $175 each. Seriously, this is a better deal than the other systems you are looking at and is only around for one week. The only reason you would get such a deal in this case is that they are clearing out this line of Athenas right now. The Fluance system would be my second choice out of your listings.

I don't think Ikon and Nuance are the same company, but they seem to have used the same immoral retail chain to push their overpriced product. That tells you something right there. If a sales guy can give you a discount of 10%-15% that's a good deal. If they can knock $4000 off of a $7000 sale then something is wrong. Even demo equipment usually won't be marked down this much.

chfphil

Audiophyte
I own a pair of IKON CM6500 with 2 built-in 10 inches subwoofer, and they sound incredibly good for that type of speaker. They aren't available everywhere, as certain speciality chains have exclusive deals with the distributor (erikson). I bought mine at Centre Hi-Fi in Quebec. And concerning your system, try Mirage...they sound better that most of what I've heard.

K

kilo1068

Audiophyte
Placebo005 said:
I Just bought a iKon speaker system and it looks pretty sweet, its just that i havnt heard of a company called iKon before nor can i fin the on the net

anyways, the two front speakers have 2 8'' woofers 1 8'' mid ranger speaker
a tweeter, 2 built in 10'' subs and a built in 500w amp - thats on the two front speakers.

now, that to me that sounds sweet
but since ive never heard of these guys before, im not too sure of there quality.

what are ur thoughts?
How much did you pay for IKON Power speaker CM6200 ?

K

kilo1068

Audiophyte
Ikon

How much did you pay for IKON power speaker CM6200 ?

P

parkerbender

Audioholic
while we're kindof on the white van subject...

a buddy of mine got white vanned the other day, and bought a 5.1setup, just the speakers, it's almost identical to the 6040 system on this site: http://www.genesismedialabs.com/homeaudio.htm#51 but without a reciever or amp, and a non-powered sub which has two 12" drivers.

i, naturally made fun of him for hours, but, he got these six speakers for $80... the mdf has to be worth that, not? was that almost a fair price? opinions or experience with this brand would be great... he bought them in LA, but is a truck driver, so he won't be home with them for a week, to try them out, so, i'm just curious what they'll end up sounding like... think they'll beat my yami's?

gracias for any input,

-Parker

P

pianoman

Audiophyte
Ikon home theatre setup

Hi there - I am an avid listener to mid-high end classical/jazz, and a piano teacher for 20 years now. I listen for a living. I have a neighbour that just spent a few $$$$ on a complete Ikon HT system - it really looks impressive! Huge cabinets with big drivers, piano black finish on the front, they say 800 watts self powered (not likely, but there are a few unlikely claims these speakers have). I have a pair of PSB stratus gold i's powered by a luxman 2 channel amp/preamp combo (180 watts/channel CLEAN), with a Denon DVD 2910 as my digital source for audio. I have a few complaints about what my system lacks (the PSBs need more power, and have a very slightly unclear midrange) but overall I auditioned many speakers to arrive at what was then (2002) the top of the PSB food chain. My speakers (and stereo - not even HT!) look mundane and simple by comparison, but the sound quality of the Ikon is not anywhere close - depth of stage, harsh overly present highs, and a fairly colored midrange is what I experienced. The louder you crank 'em, the thinner they sound. I have never heard of Ikon before, and decided to do a bit of research also, and this forum is about as far as it gets besides Ikon's own website. As with others here, I would place Ikon a little lower than Nuance, which is a Canadian company that really detracts from the overall quality of products that we have here in Canada. I turned the rear channels and the center channel over, and there is no indication as to where Ikon is made or manufactured. I am suspicious, but I can't claim anything because I don't know. I didn't see the boxes they came in. Stick to PSB, Totem, older Paradigm, Energy - companies that have spent time, money and energy at the Canadian National Research Council anechoic chamber trying to perfect their speakers. As with many things, there is a law of diminishing returns, but you ultimately get what you pay for.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis