Building $5k stereo around B&W 804s

D

denissawyer

Enthusiast
Why not spend some of that budget that you will save at Blue Jean Cable to buy yourself a nice quality display. Now a days you dont need to spend to a small fortune to get yourself a quality TV. With 5k to spend you could probably if you want upgrade your current setup quite a bit just my 2 cents ...

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
If you'd spend that kind of money on cables and interconnects, then there's probably not much that advice here can do to help you :eek:

At most, cables and interconnects together should cost you less than $300.
Depending on room size, it could well be a lot less. Blue Jeans' most expensive speaker cable is only $1.05/ft, and their interconnects run about $20/pr. Spending more than that would gain you nothing at all.
With the money saved, you could upgrade to the 803s.

sticknstones

sticknstones

Enthusiast
I have Nautilus 804s, some Polk outdoor patio speakers on a zone 2, a Harmon Kardon DVD/CD/SACD player, Charter digital cable (not HD), a VCR, IPOD/dock and 30-inch standard tube TV. My 75 Watt, 7.1 channel Harmon Kardon AV 635 receiver will be removed from service due to a processor malfunction. Listening room is about 12x20 feet with speakers along the wide wall facing a 9-foot leather couch and 6-foot leather coffee table, on a wood laminate/concrete slab floor mostly covered by large area rug, with 12 feet of filled book shelves along one short end of the room. I want a major upgrade in high-fidelity stereo sound for music and for movies. Musical taste includes bluegrass, jazz, classical and rock. I have $5,000 to spend.

My favorite shop recommends:

Rotel RB 1080 stereo amp (200 watts, 2 channels) ($999);
Rotel RC-1082 stereo preamp ($1199);
Rotel RCD 1072 HDCD player ($699);
Transparency MusicLink Plus interconnects pr. 1 mtr. ($360);
Transparency MusicWave Plus speaker cables par. 12' ($1010); and
Audio Authority 4x1 component video autoselector 1154A ($239).

Shops says above maximizes hi-fidelity music sound. They analog stereo simplicity of the above set-up will sound significantly better for music than anything at $5k cost involving multi-channel with video switching. I like the promise of a spine tingling musical sound improvement over the old HK set-up but do not like the need for separate video switching device and lack of am/fm tuner.

I wonder if a surround sound receiver (like Rotel RSX 1067) or pre/pro (like Rotel RSP 1069) would not sound equally good for stereo music while simplifying video switching for the above components, giving me am/fm and allowing a simpler future addition of HD TV and surround speakers. If the stereo sound from the recommended Rotel components were sufficiently sweet, my interest in a potential future surround speaker set-up might wane. Even if I never go to surround speakers, I might in the future add a subwoofer to improve deep bass for music and movie effects.

If separate stereo amplifier and stereo preamp would deliver clearly better musical sound than the surround receiver or pre/pro approach, what do people think about the Rotel components my shop recommends versus similar components from Anthem (MCA20 applifier [225 w/2ch]) and TLP1 pre/pro/tuner or AVM30 pre/pro/tuner). Any other recipe for a $5K system to run B&W 804s for music?

Does $1000 for the Transparancy 12-foot speaker cables and another $360 for the Transparancy interconnects make sense? I am willing to believe that cable choice at these prices can make a difference.

Would dropping the $699 Rotel CD player and just continuing to use my Harmon Kardon DVD 47 player degrade the sound audibly? If not, I could throw the $699 at another part of this system.

My long-distance reference is my father's late 1990s all-Mcintosh 150 w/ch ss receiver and CD system driving some giant Italian floor standers. I like the idea of McIntosh but don't think I can afford anything like that to run my 804s.

Your thoughts much appreciated.
Hi Ausfart,
I also own the B&W N804S and they have been driven by a Denon 3803 for audio plus I have a ISCAN DVDO VP20 by Anchor bay for video processing.

My Denon is rated 110W as 7.1 or 140W as stereo which is achieved by having the single power supply.

I can turn my amp up all the way where it is loud but not deafening and these speakers could use more power. I too am looking to swap out the amp but not to play louder just that I do not think the sound stage at moderate volume is all that great.

I have read all of the forums for months including NADt785, Denon 3,4 and 5 series, Onyko 906, Integra 9.9, Rotel, Outlaw, Marantz, Yamaha z7, Sherwood R972 (not out yet but interesting) and I have finally reached my own choice for pairing the 804

Emotiva XPA 5-2 - Toroidal transformer and 200W per channel, 5 yr transferable warranty, 30 day return for $699 and all the reviews, blogs are highly positive plus Made in the USA. I have not seen a 5 year transferable warranty and I think the company is putting product quality on the line.

Later I can add the XPA 2 at 250W with separate pwr supply, transformer to run LR if I go 7.1

OPPO Universal Blu-Ray, I will wait for review and product release in early 09 at $499. Oppo also USA and takes best components in industry to make all in 1 universal player for SACD, DVD-S and Blu-Ray. Cambridge Audio has the second most interesting CD player that upconverts the audio and most interesting read on their approach but pricey $1500.

EMOTIVA UMC-1 Video/audio processor $699 also not released but will be the successor to the MMC-1. Teaser Specs are on the Emotiva website.

Given the date on your post you may have already bit your bullet but if not I really think the Emotiva has got the quality and value concept in solid position. With the AMP and Processor your are getting 100 Pounds of Audio/Video and it really needs serious consideration. It is direct market sold and serviced only, so the price lifts are minimized.

These picks are going to put your cash outlay at $1900 without sacrificing quality, functionality, and power. You can pocket the rest except for the cables. I would read the Audioholics review of cables and it is beyond my expertise to get into that kind of scrap so I will defer on the cables. I am assuming you have a sub for your system.

Check it out!:)

Last edited:
S

slothy420

Enthusiast
Hi Ausfart,
I also own the B&W N804S and they have been driven by a Denon 3803 for audio plus I have a ISCAN DVDO VP20 by Anchor bay for video processing.

My Denon is rated 110W as 7.1 or 140W as stereo which is achieved by having the single power supply.

I can turn my amp up all the way where it is loud but not deafening and these speakers could use more power. I too am looking to swap out the amp but not to play louder just that I do not think the sound stage at moderate volume is all that great.

I have read all of the forums for months including NADt785, Denon 3,4 and 5 series, Onyko 906, Integra 9.9, Rotel, Outlaw, Marantz, Yamaha z7, Sherwood R972 (not out yet but interesting) and I have finally reached my own choice for pairing the 804

Emotiva XPA 5-2 - Toroidal transformer and 200W per channel, 5 yr transferable warranty, 30 day return for $699 and all the reviews, blogs are highly positive plus Made in the USA. I have not seen a 5 year transferable warranty and I think the company is putting product quality on the line.

Later I can add the XPA 2 at 250W with separate pwr supply, transformer to run LR if I go 7.1

OPPO Universal Blu-Ray, I will wait for review and product release in early 09 at $499. Oppo also USA and takes best components in industry to make all in 1 universal player for SACD, DVD-S and Blu-Ray. Cambridge Audio has the second most interesting CD player that upconverts the audio and most interesting read on their approach but pricey $1500.

EMOTIVA UMC-1 Video/audio processor $699 also not released but will be the successor to the MMC-1. Teaser Specs are on the Emotiva website.

Given the date on your post you may have already bit your bullet but if not I really think the Emotiva has got the quality and value concept in solid position. With the AMP and Processor your are getting 100 Pounds of Audio/Video and it really needs serious consideration. It is direct market sold and serviced only, so the price lifts are minimized.

These picks are going to put your cash outlay at $1900 without sacrificing quality, functionality, and power. You can pocket the rest except for the cables. I would read the Audioholics review of cables and it is beyond my expertise to get into that kind of scrap so I will defer on the cables. I am assuming you have a sub for your system.

Check it out!:)
I was wondering if you ever paired your 804's with the emotiva amp? I just received my UPA-7 and have a Marantz sr5003 on it's way (I couldn't wait for the UMC-1). So now, of course, I want to upgrade my speakers and have been eyeballin the B&W 683. I have heard a lot about synergy between the B&W speakers and the Rotel amps and was questioning if I should return the Emotiva and buy a Rotel (probably used) instead?

sticknstones

sticknstones

Enthusiast
I was wondering if you ever paired your 804's with the emotiva amp? I just received my UPA-7 and have a Marantz sr5003 on it's way (I couldn't wait for the UMC-1). So now, of course, I want to upgrade my speakers and have been eyeballin the B&W 683. I have heard a lot about synergy between the B&W speakers and the Rotel amps and was questioning if I should return the Emotiva and buy a Rotel (probably used) instead?
Yes, I bought the XPA-3 as it was on sale for $499 and has 200wpc for my L/C/R. It is such a nice amp. I purchased the 5 channel audio interconnect cables from BlueJean which has the lowest capacitance spec I could find for a very reasonable price $88 for a 4 foot run.

I like you am now tracing to my next weakest link which is clearly my $80 cd player about 10 years old from Technics with a 1bit MASH DAC. It is next!

My monikor at the AVS forum is Sticknstones and I have many posts on the review of the XPA 3. That is a great forum called Emotiva Emotions. I am very happy with my Emotiva purchase and looking forward to rebuilding my very aged system except the B&W's which have many more years to go!

If you did return the EMO then I would change it for the XPA 5 as the B&W's can handle and show their appreciation for the extra power. With regard to the Rotel comment. Yes, I had heard this as well but I am not sure whether it is a marriage of convenience as they are near each other geographically. Ultimately, we all have to establish our own criteria. I think the Emotiva brand is making Higher End Audio available to more folks like me that would otherwise not go there as I have competing demands on other family needs. I can justify the investments with Oppo and Emo and feel very good about my decisions.

Congrats on your purchase!:)

Last edited:
S

sn7

Audioholic Intern
Thanks - this thread has been very helpful. I presently have kef 3005Se with Onkyo TX-SR605 and monoprice cables. But I am now planning to gradually set up something in lines with B&W 804s + 805s + center. Looking around - how to go about doing it while maintaining best value for money (OK - that i subjective). Seems like Emotiva is a serious contender. Some people find Energy v2.3i very close to B&W 804s - so will look into them as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis