M

Mountainear

Audioholic Intern
Looking to get a 60" in a month or so, once I sell some cornets. All here have given good advice in the past, thanks! I'm looking for best px in the $750.00-$850.00 range. I do have some sliding glass doors covered by shades in the room, but I'd say most of our viewing is afternoon/evening. Even though Wal-mart employees tell me plasma's lifespan isn't good and that the gases leak out and cause fading.. I'm more inclined believe CNET's plasma just as good lifespan advice. I'd seen an LG 60PN6500 on Amazon for $750.00, now its $800.00. I don't have to have plasma, just keep seeing that they've the better pq. Thanks all for any input!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
M

Mountainear

Audioholic Intern
Thanks BSA. I noticed the Panasonic TC-P60S60 you mentioned on the camel watch site. I would definitely consider it, however, some of the recent amaz reviews say is very reflective and that is has an unhelpful automatic brightness control that sounds possibly problematic in a room with much light.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
a) which is I recommended really the ST series and b) I am sure this feature could be disabled if needed.

M

Mountainear

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, after more looking ST 50 series at Amazon warehouse deals is looking the best, thanks again BSA!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Do NOT Get LG TV!
Unless you preparing to throw it away in 5-6 years
WHAT, now you tell me.... I never spend a lot on a TV, I don't know why, I just don't care for the picture difference, I think they all look the same for some reason, it could be because I hardly watch tv under normal circumstances, and I can see everything going on just as well on my 55" LG than the $4800 sony.... I bought the TV in my living room which is a 55" lg, open box a couple years ago for $679 lol, then I have a 42" LCD in my guest parlor that is like 8 years old, I have no idea what I paid for that probably around $700, I have 12 tv's in my house and Ill bet you all 12 didnt cost me $5000 total through out the years, all lcd or led, I dont like plasma for some reason, it makes my head hurt...

Anyway people do say wonderful things about the panny plasma... not sure what they cost or how big they get..

Thanks bored now Im worried about my tv breaking...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
LG TVs can be very inexpensive, but I would definitely consider it throw-away money with LG. I know, personally, a half dozen LG owners who have had their TVs fail. Basically no Panasonic or Sony owners I know have had this issue. I did have one of my Samsung's fail on me, but it is LG that I see over and over again, and it really just scares me.

Panasonic is such a reliable brand, and so well built, that I strongly recommend their TVs.

On the other hand, a good deal on any TV that looks decent can be hard to pass up. My Olevia 32" LCD is still running strong.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
ImcLoud, your luck may be different. After my lg had failed i did plenty of research and was disappointed with how common lg TVs fail. Disclaimer : at about same time as I purchased my previous Tv - 42" lg plasma, i had also bought 20" lg lcd monitor for the pc which is still running as good as new

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
ImcLoud, your luck may be different. After my lg had failed i did plenty of research and was disappointed with how common lg TVs fail. Disclaimer : at about same time as I purchased my previous Tv - 42" lg plasma, i had also bought 20" lg lcd monitor for the pc which is still running as good as new
Well I guess if I get a chance to get rid of it or move it to a spot in the house that doesn't get as much use, I will. That tv gets a lot of use, knock on wood its hasn't been any problems as of yet, hopefully I got a good one. I would like to at least get 6-8 years out of it, or have it last until something newer is out... I hate to have something fail and buy the same style as I had...

M

Mountainear

Audioholic Intern
Okay, after too much time and energy put into getting the best tv for money considering pq and around $1200 or less... I've ordered a panny tc-L55et60. Not a plasma, although I was pretty sure the ST60 was my choice up until recently. After seeing them in store, appearing considerably dimmer than others, and I do have some sunlight, though mostly not direct, in my viewing room, I decided to go with the lcd/led panny. Cnet's reviews of the e60 series sounded nice for pq, nice black level, made me wonder why they ranked the vizio m551d-a2r two spots higher than the panny. At any rate, I ordered an et60 from Amzon warehouse used, but like new. I will try to follow up with impressions once it arrives.

M

Mountainear

Audioholic Intern
Okay, actually got the Panasonic TC-L50E60 50 inch led. Shipped from Amazon warehouse by Fedex on it's side, even though box said not too. Fedex guy said he had no way of making sure it didn't fall over. It appears to be in fine working condition. I haven't calibrated it yet, have never done that. Using standard setting with the backlight turned up a bit for Dish hopper viewing, Home theater setting for Sony dvd viewing. I like the pq so far. My biggest complaint is the letterboxing. I was able to eliminate it with sony 5100 settings for a dvd that was in smaller format than 1.73, but not for larger like 2.31:1. I'm very sorry if this question has been hammered into the ground, but is there a way to eliminate all the black bars with the sony 5100 bluray player settings? I don't like the picture after zooming/justing it with my panny tv's settings. Will an Oppo 103 eliminate all blackbars/letterboxing?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis