Budget budget budget....

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Not a PITA at all! We are sharing our passion and entry level is one of the best places. Most of us started with heavy budget constraints. My first system was a Juliette Stereo Cassette system bought with paper route money. If you've never heard of Juliette, there is a reason, but for $67 back in 1973, it wasn't that bad (after I stuffed the speaker boxes full of rags,lol)! Unfortunately, there were no internet or forums to get advice. Most of us fondly remember finding the first components and systems that "wowed" us and enjoy helping others find that!

However, you can expect us to:
1) Attempt to stretch your budget if we know of exceptional products that are just beyond your stated budget.
2) Disagree on your best option. However, you can generally be assured that if (for example) I and IMcLoud argue over what your best option is (which we are not...yet;)), you are being given two good options. I know he has listened to a good array of gear and I consider his advice sound.
haha...thanks. I understand and while my budget isn't set in stone...I really need to stay very close. But if there is something that's just outside the limit but is HIGHLY recommended...I'd do what I can to stretch even further. I mean Ramen noodles aren't that bad, right?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Are you going to be listening to this system primarily at the computer or from across the room?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, there's a couple music shops I can check.
Great! The smaller shops are in many ways better. Make sure the monitors have a compatible input with your PC. They may let you even take their demonstration pair home (you may have to buy as a deposit, if so, get a discount since they are demonstration/open box). Wait to do this until you have the Fluance to compare to. Can you temporarily borrow an receiver for the Fluances from a buddy?
Testing the gear in your own environment at your leisure is definitely the best way to really be certain.
If you like the monitors, ask about how you would hook a sub into the system.

Where I am coming from on this is I think you are more likely to get better sound out of ~$300 pro-audio monitor speakers than ~$130 speakers plus ~$170 amp/receiver. This is partly where Wayne was coming from in his post near the top of your thread.

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Are you going to be listening to this system primarily at the computer or from across the room?
At the computer or kicked back a few feet away. Not trying to fill a room so much as I am just having my own tiny little listening space.

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Great! The smaller shops are in many ways better. Make sure the monitors have a compatible input with your PC. They may let you even take their demonstration pair home (you may have to buy as a deposit, if so, get a discount since they are demonstration/open box). Wait to do this until you have the Fluance to compare to. Can you temporarily borrow an receiver for the Fluances from a buddy?
Testing the gear in your own environment at your leisure is definitely the best way to really be certain.
If you like the monitors, ask about how you would hook a sub into the system.

Where I am coming from on this is I think you are more likely to get better sound out of ~$300 pro-audio monitor speakers than ~$130 speakers plus ~$170 amp/receiver. This is partly where Wayne was coming from in his post near the top of your thread.
I'll check around and see what I can find. My headphone guy sells home audio as well but mostly stuff way out of my price range. I do need to give him a ring and see if he's got or can get anything budget minded. He does stuff like Omega Speakers, LSA, Hoyt-Bedford, DECWARE amps, Grado headphones which I do own a couple of...the SR325 and RS1. I can't say how great that other stuff stuff is...but I know it's expensive. But just now popping onto his website I see he's also a dealer for audioengine...so I will give him a call and see what he might have to demo. While I might not be able to bring anything home to listen to, he has a really nice listening room at his house/store that I can take all the time I want and bring my own music ect.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
At the computer or kicked back a few feet away. Not trying to fill a room so much as I am just having my own tiny little listening space.
That really says AudioEngine A2+ (amazon sells) to me. These are superb near-field speakers. I was about to say forget the A2's on the basis that you would want to crank them beyond their capabilities to have a room party, etc.
I have heard the A2 (before the "+") and they are impressively transparent speakers for the price. By every account the "+" are indeed better.
If your CC can float having both the A2+ and Fluances, you might order both from Amazon. Bum a decent receiver (ideally equivalent to what you could afford) for the trial. The A2's won't compete for bass, but a SUB-1000 will do a great job there.
Again the A2s has RCA output to accomodate a sub. I don't know how difficult it would be to adapt normal pro audio monitors to use a sub.
This will also give you a clean desktop (without amp/receiver).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd say check out craigslist, but you live in the boonies from the sound of it. There are deals to be had out there in my area.

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I've been looking on CL but not much on there besides over priced junk and highend stuff I can't afford. I thought I was in business...I remembered I had an old Sony receiver from way back when I was around 18...so it's 20 years old. Hooked it up and there's no right channel :mad: Not sure where the problem is...I'm guessing the RCA input from the source because right doesn't work regardless of the speaker jack, headphone out, device...nothing. Maybe I'll pop the top and see if it's a wire disconnected or something obvious. It would be awesome to get it working...might not be the best piece of gear but it would get me started and for no additional cost other than what I paid for it 20 years ago from Sears.

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Well...opened it up and nothing obvious. Guess I should have know there wasn't any wiring, all soldered to the board. No burnt marks or anything loose. I have no idea what's up with it. Too bad. I'll keep it to power one speaker just to get a little taste and in the mean time decide on a power source that will work. Might swing into town tomorrow and check the Goodwill/thrift shop, pawn shop and see if there's anything ok looking.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Well...opened it up and nothing obvious. Guess I should have know there wasn't any wiring, all soldered to the board. No burnt marks or anything loose. I have no idea what's up with it. Too bad. I'll keep it to power one speaker just to get a little taste and in the mean time decide on a power source that will work. Might swing into town tomorrow and check the Goodwill/thrift shop, pawn shop and see if there's anything ok looking.
Did you try swapping the rca's to make sure its not a source or cable issue? I would drop it off at a local electronics repair shop, sometimes they will just charge you $5-15 for a cheap repair..

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Cable and source work fine. It's the DAC and RCA from my headphone setup. I will see if there's any sort of a repair shop in the area and contact them just to see.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Aw hell!
PM me your address.
I have an old Kenwood VR-205 I'll ship to you. Nothing nice. It is old in age, but new in use, never really hooked it up. I moved before I got that far.
It puts out 50 watts per channel minimum RMS into two channels from 40Hz to 20kHz at 0.7%THD. Has subwoofer output (no bass management) and remote. This is actually an AV 5.1 receiver from the early stages of HT.
Based on Fluances published specs of 92dB sensitivity and 8Ohm impedance and your intended use, I feel comfortable that this will work well for you.
I am a pack rat, but I know I'll never use it!

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/287046/Kenwood-Krf-V5010.html?page=23#manual

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kew you rock as always. Looks nice too:

That is it and it looks just like that (as in brand new).
The 6 channel threw me, but I counted speaker connections and there are five. I assume that was before they settled on the 5.1 convention.

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Aw hell!
PM me your address.
I have an old Kenwood VR-205 I'll ship to you. Nothing nice. It is old in age, but new in use, never really hooked it up. I moved before I got that far.
It puts out 50 watts per channel minimum RMS into two channels from 40Hz to 20kHz at 0.7%THD. Has subwoofer output (no bass management) and remote. This is actually an AV 5.1 receiver from the early stages of HT.
Based on Fluances published specs of 92dB sensitivity and 8Ohm impedance and your intended use, I feel comfortable that this will work well for you.
I am a pack rat, but I know I'll never use it!

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/287046/Kenwood-Krf-V5010.html?page=23#manual
Holy crap...that's incredible of you. Thanks so much.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis