Budget budget budget....

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
I hate that word. You probably hate seeing it in a thread title. Gotta ask it anyways. I'm new to home audio. Not so new to car or headphone audio. But home stuff...I'm a complete newb. While I understand some of the lingo, I don't know brands and what's ok and what's junk. And being basically poor doesn't help...lol...you know, flame mignon on a hamburger budget....anyways, here's what I'm trying to do on the cheap.

Desktop computer system. 2.1. Purely for music. No gaming and very little movie watching. I have a DAC, computer is my source. Speakers are Fluance SX6 (told you I was poor). Looking for suggestions for a receiver first of all to run the speakers and eventually a sub, which I'd also appreciate some suggestions for. For the receiver...all I'd like is 50+ watts for the speakers and a pre-amp for the sub. I'd love to stay as close to $100 as I can with a $200 max. Sub suggestions, same budget range. Is there any hope for me?

Thanks for any help you can give.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
welcome to ah, Not completely hopeless, lol..
First for the receiver...
This is at the top of your budget but has a sub output all in one...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs300bl/yamaha-r-s300-natural-sound-stereo-receiver/1.html

Another option is and what I would personally do is...
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-120-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00HFG3FYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419857879&sr=8-1&keywords=dayton amplifier
for splitting the sub you have a couple options..
1 is to cross and split with fmods and cables... http://www.amazon.com/FMOD-Crossover-Pair-High-Pass/dp/B0006N41KG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1419858011&sr=8-8&keywords=fmod
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Series-Y-Adapter-Inches/dp/B005DL2OVE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1419858052&sr=8-7&keywords=rca splitter

the high pass fmods will go to the amplifier inputs and the splitter will be split to the subwoofer...

Another option is a mini dsp http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

Next for the subwoofer, $200 is a tight budget for a musical subwoofer...

I would either go with this http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES150PBK-300-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00166VDLC/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419858319&sr=1-15&keywords=subwoofer or the 12" version http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES250PBK-High-Performance-12-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B00166ZFSO/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419858319&sr=1-19&keywords=subwoofer

For a pc system I would personally do the muse dac {not sure what one you have} with the dayton amp {or a topping there are a couple choices out there}, the mini dsp for crossing, and the 12" subwoofer which would be over your budget. While the yamaha receiver with the 10" subwoofer wouldn't be bad at all and almost half the cost...

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

First, welcome to the Forum!

A receiver and a good pair of speakers for $100-200? That’s unrealistically optimistic, even talking used equipment.

I’d suggest ditching the receiver. It’s not needed for a computer system and has all kinds of things that you don’t have a use for that are just money wasted, such as an AM/FM tuner, pre-amplifier, capability for multiple inputs, and if it’s an AVR, then video and Dolby Digital processing, etc. If you're broke then you sure don't want to be wasting money on stuff you don't need anyway. All you really need from it is the amplifier to power the speakers.

Since all you really need is an amplifier and speakers, here’s a thought: Yust get a pair of active (powered) speakers. You can get decent active speakers under $200, such as the Audioengine A2, especially if you look for used, Others will probably chime in with recommendations.

As far as a sub, I’d suggest Craigslisting a something at least 10” from a name brand like Paradigm or Velodyne. It should be no problem finding something under $200.

If you’re worried how to connect both a sub and active speakers to the computer, all you need to do is split the audio output.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Pair of wave crest hvl1 and used amp or avr. Basically anything functioning will do fine

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think he has the speakers already, at least thats how I understood it, fluance 6's...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Even though you already have speakers, with the goal of highest sound quality, I think you would be best off buying the AudioEngine A2+ at $250 and Dayton Audio SUB-1000 (or 1200) at $95 (or $109).
For the receiver amp, we can help you avoid a piece of crap (which are easily found in your price range), but the speaker is the item that really determines the quality of your sound.
If you can sell the Fluances to offset the cost of the above, I believe this is a better route to getting quality sound.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
the fluance speakers aren't terrible, the 6's actually sound great for what they cost...

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the help...lots to think about.

Yes, I do have the speakers. Well, not in hand, they were ordered. But those are not part of my budget considerations. I did lots of research and they seemed to be the best at the price point. Even beating the Pioneer BS22's which I guess are supposed to be God's gift to low budget stereo systems. I'll give them a listen when they arrive and decide if they do what I want. If not, I'll send them back.

And duly noted on the receiver being unnecessary. I'll look into pure amp options instead.

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
I know that budget systems are a real PITA and I'm sure a topic that comes up daily. I appreciate the help. This is more of a I want/need a system now, perhaps this will lead to much better later. I know the importance of quality components considering I have a pair of $600 headphones....lol

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
One thing you might do is go to your local Guitar Center and ask them to let you listen to their best powered monitors for around $200 (or whatever your budget allows). Generally, at this price point and for near-field use with computer, the pro audio industry has more consistent performance and powered speakers fit well with a PC since the PC offers source, volume, and tone controls as well as ensuring the amp and speaker are suitable for one another. The AudioEngines cost just a bit more, but offer better looks and easy connectivity and RCA outputs which would readily accommodate a sub.

If the Fluances equal or better the Pioneers, then you are doing well. I have not heard them, but I haven't seen anything to suggest they are special. What was your reference for selecting them over the Pioneers?
The Pioneers got a lot of buzz because they offered budget level SQ that was not available when they were released (at least not among mainstream products). Now Sony appears to have stepped up to the plate with their Core series.
They certainly look nicer (based on Amazon photos), the gold spacers at the bottom is a nice touch, and unless the wood grain looks like plastic in person, I would be reluctant to use the grills.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the help...lots to think about.

Yes, I do have the speakers. Well, not in hand, they were ordered. But those are not part of my budget considerations. I did lots of research and they seemed to be the best at the price point. Even beating the Pioneer BS22's which I guess are supposed to be God's gift to low budget stereo systems. I'll give them a listen when they arrive and decide if they do what I want. If not, I'll send them back.

And duly noted on the receiver being unnecessary. I'll look into pure amp options instead.
Like I said the speakers are fine, you should be happy with them, I have heard them and they sound on par with the pioneers but where I think the pioneers fall short is in volume. They just dont seem to project well, while the fluance speakers do, they are balanced, and on the warm side of what I would expect from them...

I would cross them around 100hz and get a sub that performs OK into that region...

Now if you were looking to spend more sure there are other speakers out there for a bit more that are a better, but you didn't do "bad" by any means..

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
My "local" guitar center is probably 3 hours away...lol

There isn't much around here...Best Buy is about the best place for audio equipment if that tells you anything. There is one shop that is highend audio gear but I'm pretty sure you have to provide an earnings statement and pass a credit check before you can walk in the door...lol

The Fluances...I got the reviews from youtube. They all seemed to be really good and a couple raved about them and compared them to the Pioneers which I was set on getting prior to seeing the Fluances. Coming from Amazon if they don't have what I'm looking for I can send them back pretty easy.

I didn't check the Sony's at all. Maybe I should have :confused:

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Like I said the speakers are fine, you should be happy with them, I have heard them and they sound on par with the pioneers but where I think the pioneers fall short is in volume. They just dont seem to project well, while the fluance speakers do, they are balanced, and on the warm side of what I would expect from them...

I would cross them around 100hz and get a sub that performs OK into that region...

Now if you were looking to spend more sure there are other speakers out there for a bit more that are a better, but you didn't do "bad" by any means..
Thanks...appreciate that.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know that budget systems are a real PITA and I'm sure a topic that comes up daily. I appreciate the help. This is more of a I want/need a system now, perhaps this will lead to much better later. I know the importance of quality components considering I have a pair of $600 headphones....lol
Not a PITA at all! We are sharing our passion and entry level is one of the best places. Most of us started with heavy budget constraints. My first system was a Juliette Stereo Cassette system bought with paper route money. If you've never heard of Juliette, there is a reason, but for $67 back in 1973, it wasn't that bad (after I stuffed the speaker boxes full of rags,lol)! Unfortunately, there were no internet or forums to get advice. Most of us fondly remember finding the first components and systems that "wowed" us and enjoy helping others find that!

However, you can expect us to:
1) Attempt to stretch your budget if we know of exceptional products that are just beyond your stated budget.
2) Disagree on your best option. However, you can generally be assured that if (for example) I and IMcLoud argue over what your best option is (which we are not...yet;)), you are being given two good options. I know he has listened to a good array of gear and I consider his advice sound.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
There must be a music store that sells Guitars, keyboards, drums etc in your area. Even the "mom and pop" shops typically choose one or two inexpensive monitors for use in an amature home recording PC/studio.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't check the Sony's at all. Maybe I should have :confused:
They are good - and on par with some more expensive speakers.

The best way to test the Sony is in your home - and they can get loud.
They are an ear-opener budget wise for me.

=============================================

Now these are real nice/good sounding speakers - the Philharmonic Audio
[Pioneer modded] speakers - they are a clear step above the regular Pio,
and are $165 a pair
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
There must be a music store that sells Guitars, keyboards, drums etc in your area. Even the "mom and pop" shops typically choose one or two inexpensive monitors for use in an amature home recording PC/studio.
Yeah, there's a couple music shops I can check.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis