Bryston Model T Floorstanding Speakers

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sure... Sony may have a nice set of high end speakers but I still think that their reputation is over hyped and are know for dipping their hands into all sorts of equipment. Probably around 15 years ago, I bought my first t.v. and it was a 36 inch flat screen WEGA for something around $2200. You know... the ones that came out after the curved tech was heading out. Beautiful picture! After the year warranty was up, the t.v. started making a high pitch noise and would not go away. The t.v.s tube ended up breaking and it costed something around $1500 to replace the tube itself. I was in college, saved up my money from odd jobs and bought this thing. Next thing you know, it breaks. A $2200 dollar t.v. should break after a year. I fought and fought with Sony and they ended up giving me a $1200 credit. My experience with them from a customer service stand point was not good. A big company like Sony should have no problem replacing such a lemon as the one I got. Since then, I've always bought the extended warranty and refuse to deal or buy Sony ever again.
Funny you mentioned a 36" Wega. If you had the same that I had, my first 1080i 36XBR400 that weighed 240 lbs, it was a fantastic TV of its time, probably the best in its class. It costed me close to 4K tax in, the C$ must be really low back then, or you had a great price. It ran without any trouble until I traded it in for my first flat LCD panel, got about $300 for it if I remember right. I have never lost more money on a trade in for a 3 year old product LOL.., but the thing was so heavy that no one wanted to take it away except the dealer I traded in with. I have no idea how long that heavy weight would have lasted but I do know my friends/relatives have had their Sony TVs forever, still in working condition even when they finally made their way to the unfinished basements/garages/shacks etc.

Thanks for more detailes, so now I see that you, like others, have had bad luck with Sony. I say luck because of all the people I know, and I mean all, their Sony products worked without issues. I am sure they eventually would have died and i have not been keep tracking of how long they did last, but I heard no complaints/issues about them ever. I have had many Sony products myself in my house in the past, still have 3 BD players, 2 in active use, none have any issues and I never have to claim warranty on any of their products. I hope if I ever do I wouldn't have to fight with them. For AVRs, I owned two Sonys before but not any more mainly because of the look of their recent models and the fact that they choose to stick with their own proprietary gadgets whereas I prefer 3 rd parties such as, Airplay, Audyssey etc.:D Back to topic, as I said before, I agree with what you are saying and sorry for picking on your example.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
lol no worries. Mine wasn't the XBR so that's why it was $2200 or so. Yea the XBR had awesome picture.

X

xijowxw

Audiophyte
If Bryston does use the exact same drivers and crossovers then I would guess chances are higher, that they would bear some similarity in sound qualtiy, though not necessarily as good or bad...

R

rascal

Audiophyte
With a couple more weeks of listening under my belt these speakers continue to amaze. Hope some folks have had a chance to hear them by now.
They are so great that it is now on sale on audiogon :eek:. Typical 'zissou' tactic where he praises a product and then sells it :rolleyes:

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
He said so much great things about them, why would he sell them? Kind of bizarre to sell such a great superduper awesome speaker :rolleyes:

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
They are so great that it is now on sale on audiogon :eek:. Typical 'zissou' tactic where he praises a product and then sells it :rolleyes:
Are you sure this is the same guy? The ad says the seller has two pairs, and is only selling one of them.

R

rascal

Audiophyte
Same guy. Formerly 'zissou' on avsforum- his positive gushing review is followed by the sale of product.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So what are we still talking about here? :D That they probably sound good, but who the hell wants to pay $10K for them? :D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
New tweeter...same crossover...I'd guess the change is more cosmetic than anything else...I wish the new Axiom launch good luck.:)

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
What was wrong with the old one? I thought the Axiom guys just loved that tweeter. I remember suggesting over the years Axiom needed to upgrade their drivers and was shouted down by the Axiom fans at every turn. Now it looks like they are embracing these new drivers.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know but they are in Bryston speakers.

Bryston Model T Floorstanding Speaker Preview | Audioholics
"The tweeters are the very same 1" titanium domes found on most Axiom speakers"

Axiom speakers now have better tweeters than $$$$ Brystons?
Ian stated that if you use a simple AVR you'll likely not benefit or hear any sonic improvements over the latter but if you're into big power amps and like it loud the upgrade could be worthwhile. I would also check with Bryston before you switch effecting the warranty issues.

Imo the largest difference between the two will be the face-plate....this concern was raised by a member on another forum expressing his dismay because his new Axiom surrounds didn't match his other speakers...IIRC and why Ian addressed this.

Last edited:
E

Energeezer

Audiophyte
I have owned a base level pair of Model Ts now for about a year. I got them second hand at about half retail. They replaced a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 60 V3. The Ts are fed by a Bluesound Streamer/Tidal, Bryston 4BSST Amp and Classe CP50 preamp. I also run two Paradigm Servo 15 subs. I listen primarily to rock and pop. Have never heard Axiom so I can't compare with them. I value dynamics and the systems ability to reproduce live concert type sound over pure refinement so keep that in mind as you read.
Physically the Ts are absolute beasts. Very large and 107 pounds each. Finish is good but nothing special. They are a good looking set of speakers over all.
The Ts are immediately superior to my dimes in all categories. They will recreate live concert sound levels in my room for extended periods with no issues or being overly fatiguing. The dimes could come close but they would strain and compress as the dbs increased. Detail is good. I don't detect any distortion or areas that they really lack in the frequency range but like anything with smaller (<12 inch) drivers bass needs supplementation for some pop music. Despite three 8 inch woofers they still need subs for the real deep stuff. Imaging is good. In order to get the right performance a significant amount of time on speaker placement was required. At 107 pounds each this was work lol. Some room treatment/ absorption was also required. I believe this is largely due to the volume levels I like.
They do everything I wanted but I can't say I was blown away by the overall sound.
If you are a listener that has similar requirements to mine you would be happy. If, on the other hand, you want to sip fine wine and listen to soft music believing you are getting top level "audiophile" sound you could be disappointed imo. Of course if my music tastes were different I may still be happy with these after extensive setup but obviously, I am not qualified to say.
If you like loud, dynamic, effortless rock and pop these are great. If your tastes are otherwise I can't recommend or advise against.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis