Bose Acoustimass 10 IV(No HIs, No Los, I No! Please help)

S

soldat88

Audiophyte
Hey all, Happy Holidays!
I am new to the forum and would really appreciate some help!

I just bought a Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV from a Bose factory store yesterday for $490 and am in need of some guidance! (Will be used for music & movies in my living room)

1. I know Bose gets a ton of bad rap (bose, no highs, no lows) for its general value, but I think for my small 1 bedroom NYC apartment, at this price, this is a good deal..I have 30 days to return, so if you have differing opinions please fire away! (the small speaker size is important to my gf..)

2. If this is indeed a good deal, really need some advice on which receiver to buy.
Based on some reading, I have looked at the following, but I really have no idea (would prefer not to spend a ton, but want good value and would prefer some kind of streaming capability):
  • Yamaha-RX-V675 -$330
  • Yamaha-RX-V377 (refurb) $199.95 + bluetooth receiver $49.95
  • AVR-X2100W (refurb) $349.99
Thanks in advance for any help!!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Play the Bose system and hear for yourself

After spending $500 on speakers, I would not spend over
$250 for a receiver.

Enjoy the audio camp adventure.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To get good answer you need to start with good question and question should not be which AVR you should get for your new Bose system, but how quickly you can return it.
You see - you post have several things wrong starting with title: No Highs and No Lows (If I read it correctly) - the thing is - you're dead wrong - Bose have both.
What vast majority of Bose systems don't have is a Mids. You see - 1" speakers are not capable of playing it and "sub" tried to compensate for lack of mids in rest of speakers and fails miserably.

Value wise, even at 1/2 of MSRP I honestly don't think that you got great deal.
As for living in 1 bedroom NYC apartment - I know the subject matter very well

Your GF is not your wife - she doesn't get to vote on your audio system just yet

This is what I would buy for about - $850:
AVR:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1100w/denon-avr-x1100w-7.2-4k-receiver-with-wi-fi-bluetooth-airplay/1.html
One pair of AA bookshelves :
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
or alternatively pair of these:
http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair

and sub:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It doesn't really matter which receiver you buy. The speakers will be the limiting factor in your system. Any one will bring out the best those speakers can offer.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Asking about Bose in Audioholics is a risky move. I salute your courage but I have to agree with with BoardSysAdmin :). Main point is how fast can you return the Bose.
You can't go wrong with any of the receiver you mentioned. It's your speakers which spell trouble for now.

S

soldat88

Audiophyte
Appreciate the help guys! So I ordered the Denon AVR-X1100W that BoredSysAdmin recommended, and compromised with my better half to return the Bose if I can accomplish the following:
  • Budget: $500
  • Preferred Setup: 5.1
  • A compact subwoofer (I do like the STF-2, but it probably eats up too much of my budget, and would love to go even more compact if possible)
  • Speakers as small as we can go without ending up at Bose again..

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Start with 2.1 any decent 5.1 and especially tiny speakers system is unrealistic on $500 budget . Maybe you could find something used.
Good luck

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Appreciate the help guys! So I ordered the Denon AVR-X1100W that BoredSysAdmin recommended, and compromised with my better half to return the Bose if I can accomplish the following:
  • Budget: $500
  • Preferred Setup: 5.1
  • A compact subwoofer (I do like the STF-2, but it probably eats up too much of my budget, and would love to go even more compact if possible)
  • Speakers as small as we can go without ending up at Bose again..
I would still do the HSU and a pair of bookshelf speakers

However, I would for sure take this Focal system over the Bose
Focal Sib and Cub 3
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focalsib51-p/focal-sib-cub3-home-theater-speaker-system/1.html

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Five of these NHT SuperZero closeouts + the NXG NX-BAS-500 would put you just slightly over budget (not including mount brackets and cables, though), and would be astoundingly better than your Bose setup. And if your budget is set in stone, you could do 3.1 now and add the surrounds later.

If you insist on a smaller sub, the Hsu STF-2 would still do well, although it's more expensive. You'd more likely have to save the rear surrounds for later with this. Or I believe afterlife2 has a Dayton Sub-1000 that he likes a lot, but its cabinet may be an inch or so more imposing on floor real estate than the Hsu.

Or the Martin Logan Dynamo 300 looks fairly respectable on a slim budget. It won't have nearly the output of the Hsu, but it could be OK in a smaller room. Edit: Jim Wilson changed my mind about ML subs.

If you'd like performance similar to the Hsu in a little smaller form factor, the Outlaw M8 would be worth a serious look. But again, like the Hsu, the Outlaw's price tag would probably limit you to three of the SuperZeros to start.

Damn, this isn't easy. I'm starting to think it might be easier for you to get a new girlfriend. Just buy this one and let it kick her to the curb for you. :)

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Rojo those Superzero 5x is a great price/choice and if it's a small area??? then a Dayton 1200 sub could also keep your budget(I like mine): http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629
If you can save a little more that NXG 500 is highly regarded.
Hey, I know I get more excitement listening to music when my GF is around, so it is a factor worth considering!

Seriously, the NHT is your best solution, IMHO.

If those speakers are too big, the Focal Sib and Cub 3 is a great choice. But the sub may be overworked in a larger room. The Sib is about the same size in major dimensions as the NHT, but because of teh shape, it is smaller in appearance.

If you find out at the last minute you are having to pay taxes instead of getting a refund, or if you have to stick with truly small speakers, I would suggest the Energy Take Classic system as still easily beating out the Bose for only $300. Size is about 7" by 4" by 4"
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/energy-take-classic-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

Here is some information on the Bose Acoustimass 15:

http://nyet.org/bose/

You can see how there is a hole in the Bose sound between the sub and the other speakers. The plot above for the Energy system is not perfect, but you can see how the sub (blue) interacts with the satellites (purple) to provide even signal through the crossover.

See if you can talk your girl into the NHT's at 9" by 5" by 5.5". They are definitely the best option for sound quality! Add a SUB-1200 (or SUB-1000 if size is an issue) and you will have great sound! If you have to go small on the sub, I can vouch for the Energy ESW-C8 as being a decent compact option. Understand that these smaller subs (Focal and Energy) are more acting as a woofer for the satellites than as real subwoofers and will reach their limits quickly in a larger room. I have a SUB-1200 and it does well in a larger room.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If I didn't already have my NXG 4.1 I would have gone for those NHT myself. Too bad they were discontinued they sound great for small speakers and would have been my recommendation. Yep I'm in a tiny apt myself. The Dayton sub has surprised me in everyway for such a cheap sub. Now watch KEW get excited. :)

S

soldat88

Audiophyte
Thanks all for the feedback! Got a good laugh out of some of the posts, but definitely not getting rid of my girlfriend for now! My reciever came today so i hooked up the Bose just to try it out..not impressed at all + thought my logitech thx 2.1 computer speaker system sounded better..also couldn't stand their proprietary cables..will return this weekend and order the NHT super Zeros; never heard of them, but they look great (hope the enclosure isn't too damaged!)

Quick question though, should i get 5 and use one as a center (flip one horizontally?), or 4 and get a true center speaker(any suggestions if the latter?).

Also, still deciding on the sub (can stretch the budget a bit), but think i'm between the following..I really like the Outlaw dimensions, but would like to hear how you all think it compares to the HSU.
Outlaw M8 14.5" H x 10.88" W x 14.135 D " $ 338.97 shipped
HSU STF-2 19.0" H x 14.00" W x 17 3⁄4 D " $ 375.00 shipped
Additionally, how does the Klipsch-SW-450 for $199 on amazon compare to the above ? 17x14x19.5

Thanks Again!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Quick question though, should i get 5 and use one as a center (flip one horizontally?), or 4 and get a true center speaker(any suggestions if the latter?).
Well, just remember that your center channel is for dialog. The male voice commonly dips down to 100Hz, or sometimes lower. James Earl Jones, basso profondo, hangs out around 85Hz. Remember that when choosing your center channel.

Those SuperZeros, while excellent for the price and size, are bound by the laws of physics, and appear to fall off around -6dB at 100Hz, -10dB around 80. You might ought to shop for a center that'll dig a little deeper while still complementing the timbre of your mains. That way you don't miss out on any James Earl Jones. :) How about a used, like-new NHT SuperCenter for $165 shipped?

Also, still deciding on the sub (can stretch the budget a bit), but think i'm between the following..I really like the Outlaw dimensions, but would like to hear how you all think it compares to the HSU.
Outlaw M8 14.5" H x 10.88" W x 14.135 D " $ 338.97 shipped
HSU STF-2 19.0" H x 14.00" W x 17 3⁄4 D " $ 375.00 shipped
The Hsu with its 10" driver will move more air than the Outlaw with its 8". Up to you whether a small footprint or more SPL is higher on your list of priorities.

Additionally, how does the Klipsch-SW-450 for $199 on amazon compare to the above ? 17x14x19.5

Thanks Again!
Klipsch makes subs as an afterthought for the purpose of completing a 5.1 package. They aren't really a subwoofer company. Go for the Hsu or Outlaw, or maybe the Dayton SUB-1000 if the unexpected upgrade of the center channel broke your budget. Or you could try to snag a bargain on fleabay with a lucky bid -- this Paradigm PS1000, for example. (The afterthought thing doesn't apply to Paradigm. They make nice subs, albeit pretty expensive retail.)

Edit: Hey, have a look at this CL ad. I think you should contact that seller and see if he'd be willing to let you have a listen. That looks like a nice deal on a Paradigm combo. Edit 2: Never mind. Those are bookshelfs, not satellites. Low GAF. Edit 3: More emphatic never mind. According to zieg, they aren't very. Stick with the NHT's.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Edit: Hey, have a look at this CL ad. I think you should contact that seller and see if he'd be willing to let you have a listen. That looks like a nice deal on a Paradigm combo.
If you can deal with the boomy nature of the speakers - and the
somewhat thin, nasal and congested sound of that center - then
that could be a decent deal. However, offer a little less first.

NHT will be somewhat more clean/clear, open and detailed.

OP, it is your call

Last edited:
S

soldat88

Audiophyte
so i've given it some more thought and looked around on ebay and have the following options to consider.. please share your thoughts!

Option 1: $725
4x nht super zero 2.0 BLEMISHED
superzero center 2.1
Outlaw m8

Option 2: Bundle on Ebay for $799 (New, can prob get best offer for a bit cheaper)
4x nht super zero 2.1 NEW Bundle
superzero center 2.1
NHT Super 8

Also wondering how do the focal sib cubs compare to the NHT Superzeros? because i could also do:
Option 3
Focal Sib & Cub3 Home theater system for $499 on accessories4less and swap the sub for an outlaw m8 if its not strong enough

Thanks!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I favor Option 1 - Option 2 will not be bad, and it is new
So, not an easy choice - maybe offer EBAY $725

Focal is nice - however, their sub is weak

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I have to vote option 1 as well. The Outlaw sub's -3dB point is @29Hz. The Super 8 is 37Hz. Outlaw also has slightly more power, although not enough to be significant, truth be told.

Or add option 4, which is option 1 with the Hsu sub if your budget allows the extra $75 or so for it.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Option 1. I had the Outlaw 8 and it's a great sub in a small space. Sadly it drowned. If you wanna save get the Dayton SUB-1000. Would it not be cheaper to get them from NHT?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis