Bose Acoustimass 10 IV(No HIs, No Los, I No! Please help)

S

soldat88

Audiophyte
Will the Outlaw M8 do well in a 17.5 x 12 room? The price for option 1 is 4 blemished + new center directly from NHT and the sub directly from outlaw:

4x nht super zero 2.0 BLEMISHED $196 shipped
superzero center 2.1 $199 shipped
outlaw m8 $330 shipped

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Will the Outlaw M8 do well in a 17.5 x 12 room? The price for option 1 is 4 blemished + new center directly from NHT and the sub directly from outlaw:

4x nht super zero 2.0 BLEMISHED $196 shipped
superzero center 2.1 $199 shipped
outlaw m8 $330 shipped
For just a little more, see if you can squeeze out the HSU STF-2 sub.
It will be better for your room - that would come to around $775 for
your projected system.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would talk to nht when you order to make sure you are comfortable with the look. Laminate defects can be anything from invisible to obvious.
Usually, B stock defects are described more thoroughly.
If they can't assure y.ou, the eba y option is not bad.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Here I thought ebay. I just looked at the page, although I bet they look good and not as bad as the description says.

Dory

Dory

Audiophyte
+1 on the NHT's.

If for some reason you're not happy with the "blemish", you can always run a 3.1 system instead. I previously had a 3.1 system with 2x SuperZero 2.1, a SuperCenter 2.1, and an SVS SB1000, and I can tell you it sounds better than any Bose 5.1 system I have listened to (yes, I'm a previous Bose owner).

For movies (and to a certain extend, music too), to me the order of importance goes like this:
Center > L/R (because they have to match center) > Sub > Surround.
So if budget/size is a problem I would sacrifice surround channels first. Don't skimp on the sub.

Note, though: the SuperCenter is around the same size as an average receiver, albeit not as deep. Keep that in mind when doing placement.

S

soldat88

Audiophyte
So I recieved the 4 superzeros and they are practically flawless! Any defects they may have are not visible at all. I just hooked them up yesterday and they sound amazing and get really loud!- FANTASTIC deal, thanks so much for that recommendation Rojo!

Still need to order the supercenter speaker, was hoping to find it less than $199 (cost of the center= what i paid for the 4 satellites), but no luck, so will just have to buy straight from NHT for that price.

Now for the subwoofer..still undecided so would love some more advice, but its pretty much between the 3 listed below (unless I missed a good option?). Remember this is for a 17.5 x 12 living room in a 1 bedroom NYC apartment, my starting $500 budget for the entire system is already way out the window so please just base answers on the desire for quality sound, size factor, and good value..Thanks!

Outlaw M8 14.5" H x 10.88" W x 14.135 D " $ 338.97 shipped
HSU STF-2 19.0" H x 14.00" W x 17 3⁄4 D " $ 375.00 shipped
SVS SB-1000 13.5" H x 13.00" W X 14.00 D" $499.00 shipped

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Have you checked fleabay for the NHT super center? I see a couple there -- $200 for brand new, or $145 for used with minor wear. Or Amazon still has the like-new condition Super Center for $165 shipped.

For the sub, the Hsu will be larger but will dig deeper and move more air than the Outlaw. I can't get behind SVS, as their price - performance ratio has declined since they started retailing in Best Buy. Still not a bad sub though, if you find one on Craigslist or similar. (The PB would be better than the SB, fwiw.) Since space is a major consideration, I'd probably give the Outlaw an audition first and see what happens.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Booo Hooo, New baby on the block doesn't like my post above - http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/bose-acoustimass-10-iv-no-his-no-los-i-no-please-help.94241/#post-1078503
I couldn't give a flying rat if you like it or not, but I stand on my point - at $500 budget getting any 5.1 will result in terrible sounding system. If you lucky you MAYBE able to get 5.0 used speakers which are not horrible, but a far as sub - even cheapest somewhat decent Dayton 1200 is over $130
Receiver used - another $100 to $200
Add everything together and you'll be closer to $1000 - which is where bare bones minimum, OK 5.1 starts

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis