Bluray Display Trouble

mercbravo1

mercbravo1

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I made some changes to my HT set up and am now having problems displaying my bluray source to the tv. I have a 70 inch sharp 4K tv, an Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver, a Sony BDP-S7200 bluray, and a Motorola cable box supplied by Verizon. The new members of the group are the onkyo receiver and the Sony bluray. I replaced my sony es receiver (HDMI board died) and decided to try the Onkyo, and replaced a Samsung BD-H6500 with the Sony hoping it would solve the problem below.

After hooking everything via HDMI, the cable box displays no problem. My original Samsung bluray did not. It will only display when the receiver is off. After calling onkyo, they had me change some settings, but no luck. They concluded there must be a handshake or connectivity issue between the Samsung and onkyo. So, I just went out and bought the Sony bluray. This time when I power everything on I see the Sony and bluray logo display (more than I got with the Samsung) but then the screen goes black. Again, if I turn the receiver off it displays just fine.

I suspect there must be some ARC or handshake issues happening somewhere. I've tried changing settings of anything that has HDMI control, but nothing has worked. I'm not sure where to turn at this point so hoping maybe the forum will give me some suggestions.

Thanks very much!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Try to plug the BRP directly to the TV and via HDMI and see if it works.

At this point, we don't really have enough info to point you in the right direction yet. If it's a handshake issue, good luck cuz you are probably not gonna get it to work.

But, I suspect it is still some setting or config issue. Is there any vid processing going on in your chain? It could possibly be a bad cable, but doesn't seem too likely.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm unclear as to how you have the BD player connected. Is it connected to the receiver and the receiver to TV all via HDMI? Or is the BD player connected to the TV and you are getting the audio back to the receiver by HDMI ARC or optical?

I'm noticing an uptick lately related to problems connecting to 4K televisions, probably because of EDID (Electronic Display Identification Dada). I suspect this is related to different HDMI versions when there are multiple interconnections.

If your BD is connected to your TV and you are trying to get sound back from the TV this is probably EDID.

By far the best connections are from devices to receiver and receiver to TV, only ever using the on/off button on the TV.

If you are connecting BD to receiver then make sure the output resolution of BD Player, and TV are identical. I assume your BD player is 1080P. Make sure CEC is turned off.

If this is all correct then that Onkyo is not HDCP compliant and you do have a handshake issue you will have to take up with Onkyo.

mercbravo1

mercbravo1

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that everything is running through the receiver. Cable box and bluray through the onkyo, then one HDMI from the onkyo to the tv. The HDMI into the receiver are going into hdcp 2.2 ports, and the connection to the tv is also in an hdcp port.

Onkyo suggested I try running the bluray through a non hdcp port, but that did not work either.

Resolutions are set to auto on both the bluray and the receiver. Receiver, bluray and tv are all 4K, and the onkyo says it is hdcp compliant.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that everything is running through the receiver. Cable box and bluray through the onkyo, then one HDMI from the onkyo to the tv. The HDMI into the receiver are going into hdcp 2.2 ports, and the connection to the tv is also in an hdcp port.

Onkyo suggested I try running the bluray through a non hdcp port, but that did not work either.

Resolutions are set to auto on both the bluray and the receiver. Receiver, bluray and tv are all 4K, and the onkyo says it is hdcp compliant.
What are your discs? I'm not aware of any 4K discs. Try setting the BD player to 2K which I suspect is the resolution of the discs.

This is a repeater handshake issue. This is clear as you see a picture on pass though with the receiver off, where only an initial handshake is required.

Since you have had trouble with 2 BD players I think this is Onkyo's problem. They are not an outfit that inspires confidence in me to be honest and they would not be on my list.

mercbravo1

mercbravo1

Audiophyte
I can't even get the bluray player menu to display on the TV, so playing any disk isn't possible with the receiver on. I briefly see the Sony logo flash, then nothing. As soon as I power off the receiver I see the full bluray menu. From there I did play a disc and can watch Netflix, but if I power the onkyo on at any time I lose picture.

I'm thinking I should try another receiver brand and see if I have better luck.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
What # hdmi input are you using for the bluray?

mercbravo1

mercbravo1

Audiophyte
Onkyo has them pre-labeled, so I'm using the first input which is bluray 2.2 hdcp. When I called the onkyo help line they had me move my bluray to another non-hdcp input, but that didn't work either.

Connecting the bluray directly to the TV works just fine.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
but if I power the onkyo on at any time I lose picture.

I'm thinking I should try another receiver brand and see if I have better luck.
Do you lose audio too? Or just video?

mercbravo1

mercbravo1

Audiophyte
When I had the Samsung bluray hooked up I was able to get sound but never video. With the Sony I have neither. I suspect there is a setting I could change. I was only able to get sound on the Samsung after an Onkyo rep had me change some settings.
After doing a lot of research on this problem one common sugggestion is to unplug everything and then power it all back on, which I tried last night. No luck there either.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Connect the Blu-ray player to your TV, and use whatever audio out your TV has and go into your AVR. That is how I have mine hooked up, and it sounds quite good. My Sony TV has optical audio out, so I can still get a good digital audio signal that way. If conventional wisdom (connecting everything to the AVR first) does not work, it is time to try plan B. Peace and goodwill.

mercbravo1

mercbravo1

Audiophyte
Onkyo suggested I do the same as well. I'm quite sure that would work, but it irks me that it would be needed. I tried Onkyo one more time today, letting them know I'd return their receiver if we couldn't get this working. Sadly no progress. I went to Best Buy in search of a replacement and told them what was going on. They indicated Onkyo has this issue much more frequently than other brands. Since I bought the Onkyo from them they are letting me return it even though I am past my 45 day return limit. I'm going to try a Denon AVR-X2300W and see how that goes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis