Blu-ray player prices going up

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
I think you're the only one getting "scared." It's just information doby. Read it, and take from it what you can, but this emotional roller coaster ride of yours is making me woozy. :p;)
Wow, you're hilarious.

I've read it, but to suggest that I should just take from it what I can and not question anything, well that sounds a lot like Scientology to me and you're starting to act a lot like a Scientologist.

Don't question anything, or we'll start to question you.

"What are your crimes"

That's what your "you're emotional", "you're scared", "you're bent", "it's only facts" tactics are starting to come across as.

Excuse me if I like to think for myself and question that which I see as being a completely skewed article with an agenda.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, you're hilarious.

I've read it, but to suggest that I should just take from it what I can and not question anything, well that sounds a lot like Scientology to me and you're starting to act a lot like a Scientologist.

Don't question anything, or we'll start to question you.

"What are your crimes"

That's what your "you're emotional", "you're scared", "you're bent", "it's only facts" tactics are starting to come across as.

Excuse me if I like to think for myself and question that which I see as being a completely skewed article with an agenda.
LOL. :p;)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Again, you present no information yourself other than "it's facts", so this conversation has become tiresome.

I've presented enough information that the normal thinkers on this board will be able to see through the "facts" for what they are, fearmongering.

Looking back through your posts in this thread, they present no information at all, they are merely critical of anyone providing an assesment of the article in the OP without stating reasons why.

That's not exactly a debate, it's misdirection. When you want to actually start addressing some of the points I'm making, I'll continue my conversation with you. Until then, say hi to Xenu for me.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Doby. The written word speaks for itself. Mr. Waratuke announced the sources of his info right in the report.
See what I mean? You still can't address any of MY points.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Again, you present no information yourself other than "it's facts", so this conversation has become tiresome.

I've presented enough information that the normal thinkers on this board will be able to see through the "facts" for what they are, fearmongering.

Looking back through your posts in this thread, they present no information at all, they are merely critical of anyone providing an assesment of the article in the OP without stating reasons why.

That's not exactly a debate, it's misdirection. When you want to actually start addressing some of the points I'm making, I'll continue my conversation with you. Until then, say hi to Xenu for me.
No. Mr. Waratuke's report speaks for itself, and is backed by credible data. Why do I need to inject my own information to his report?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
See what I mean? You still can't address any of MY points.
??? :confused:

Can't? Don't be so...judgmental.

If I can't, it's because you have not made them plain, or I don't consider it worthwhile. To what would you like me to respond?

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
??? :confused:

Can't? Don't be so...judgmental.

If I can't, it's because you have not made them plain, or I don't consider it worthwhile. To what would you like me to respond?
1) To how every other technology experiences similar price fluctuations at this time of year after the Christmas shopping and two/three week period thereafter has concluded.

It happens every year!

2) To how Denon is chastised for having no cheap BD player on the market....one month after they released their VERY FIRST model of transport and standalone player.

3) To how most of the manufacturers have new models coming out over the next few months with lower MSRP's than any of their current models, which is conveniently ignored despite these models all coming to the end of their lifespan.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
4) How come there is no mention AT ALL of the fact that the MSRP has not changed on any of these players.

5) Why, despite ignoring this, the BDA is blamed (called a Cartel) for the pricing fluctuations and not the retailers that set their own pricing.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
1) To how every other technology experiences similar price fluctuations at this time of year after the Christmas shopping and two/three week period thereafter has concluded.

It happens every year!

2) To how Denon is chastised for having no cheap BD player on the market....one month after they released their VERY FIRST model of transport and standalone player.

3) To how most of the manufacturers have new models coming out over the next few months with lower MSRP's than any of their current models, which is conveniently ignored despite these models all coming to the end of their lifespan.
1) Perhaps.
2) Chastised? I don't know anything about that...and I'm not holding my breath for Denon's new cheap BD player. I'm currently set. :p
3) Certainly "most" of last year's models decrease in price when the new models become available. At least as I perceive it, that's usually the case.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
2) Because you're familiar with Denon and don't pretend not to be, unlike this editorial.
3) When they're released, we'll watch and see then.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
2) Because you're familiar with Denon and don't pretend not to be, unlike this editorial.
3) When they're released, we'll watch and see then.
I am familar with Denon. I'm quite happy with my 5803, my 2900, and my old 5000 and 1600. But I'm not about to sit on my haunches and wait for a $400 Denon BD player, when I have bought two flagship HD players, and amassed 70 HD discs for twice that amount. Denon puts out some great products, but I'm really not in the game anymore for the proximate future.

I'm not unlike this editorial? Well, I'm not a piece of paper, nor a report, nor a blog, so you must mean I have the attributes of a well-written report. Thank you. I'm plain-spoken, I speak the facts, and I back up my words with credible sources. I take that as a compliment. Thanks Doby.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Points 4) and 5) are on the last page!

As for speaking the facts, I wouldn't get too carried away. You've called my truthfulness into question numerous times stating that the pricing I'm suggesting has been available to those watching Blu-ray prices is not true, going as far as calling for receipts to be scanned. You've even questioned that the Price Grabber ad I scanned was not real.

You've also just stated that for $800 you got two flagship players (although I'd argue that the only flagship player released was the XA2) and 70 discs. Without any hardware at all, that puts all 70 of your discs at $11.42. If your flagship players were even $99 each, that puts all 70 of your titles at $8.57/each. Is this more of the plain-spoken facts?

You got an HD-A35 for well under Toshiba's cost, which you choose to ignore anytime you mention how "cheap" it was for you to get into HD.

Let's not ignore the fact that Toshiba's hardware pricing amongst other things is the reason why they're facing a loss of over 1 Billion on HD DVD. I don't hold it against the BD CE's for not wanting to follow this business model.

You're unlike this editorial in the sense that you're now acknowledging that it's foolish to think Denon is going to have a sub-$400 Blu-ray model available on the market as their first offering, whereas the editorial seems to feel that it's an injustice that this hasn't happened.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't understand why the Blu-ray camp has it in their head that now that HD DVD is dead they can justify raising their prices. Blu-ray's biggest competitor is so much cheaper than Blu-ray that anyone with a head on their shoulders and/or a light wallet is going to keep on buying the competing format. You aren't going to get most consumers to care about Blu-ray by jacking up prices, are they trying to go the way of Laserdisc? It seems they are making an effort to ruin themselves. If HD DVD had won the HD format war the market would be flooded with low priced HD DVD players and movies. Stupid studios, stupid Blu-ray, stupid, stupid, stupid. I am starting to think about supporting HD-DL, even though I hate the idea.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Whoooa. I'm not going to let you get away with this.

As for speaking the facts, I wouldn't get too carried away. You've called my truthfulness into question numerous times stating that the pricing I'm suggesting has been available to those watching Blu-ray prices is not true, going as far as calling for receipts to be scanned. You've even questioned that the Price Grabber ad I scanned was not real.
Never happened. The scan of the photo you initally showed was not linked, nor did it provide the condition of the player (new or refurb), nor did it provide the retailer. Only when I called you on these issues did you then relay the information. Don't twist it into something it's not.

You've also just stated that for $800 you got two flagship players (although I'd argue that the only flagship player released was the XA2) and 70 discs. Without any hardware at all, that puts all 70 of your discs at $11.42. If your flagship players were even $99 each, that puts all 70 of your titles at $8.57/each. Is this more of the plain-spoken facts?
First, you are again incorrect. Toshiba has put out more flagship HD players than the XA2, though, some arguably claim that the XA2 is the best HD flagship player by Toshiba. Let me help you with the math professor. ;) Allow me to first state that this is incredibly ironic as you just accused Mr. Waratuke of intentionally ommitting the BD freebies out of his calculus (in his report). Ironic indeed. Or incredibly self serving, and misleading. The math is as follows (including my initial A3 purchase):

2 A35's $169 per w/ 18 movies
1 A3 for $200 w/ 10 movies and $100 giftcard, which has bought me another 9 movies
Assorted purchases (20-25 titles..and counting :p:D) from BB and DDD @ $8- $12 per title
PE (4 discs) for $29
HP and UM @ Amazon (splurge :p...10 movies...14 discs) for $121

These deals, btw, are (and have been) all over the internet. It's not like I'm making them up.

You got an HD-A35 for well under Toshiba's cost, which you choose to ignore anytime you mention how "cheap" it was for you to get into HD.
Yes, and that makes me smile. :p:D Why does it make you so angry? :mad:

Let's not ignore the fact that Toshiba's hardware pricing amongst other things is the reason why they're facing a loss of over 1 Billion on HD DVD. I don't hold it against the BD CE's for not wanting to follow this business model.
Well, I'm not in this game to make Toshiba prosper, am I? :p Are you?

You're unlike this editorial in the sense that you're now acknowledging that it's foolish to think Denon is going to have a sub-$400 Blu-ray model available on the market as their first offering, whereas the editorial seems to feel that it's an injustice that this hasn't happened.
Injustice? That's injustice? I like my reason better of why I'm like a well-written editorial. :p

Last edited:
dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Whoooa. I'm not going to let you get away with this.
Never happened. The scan of the photo you initally showed was not linked, nor did it provide the condition of the player (new or refurb), nor did it provide the retailer. Only when I called you on these issues did you then relay the information. Don't twist it into something it's not.
Actually I will, because it is something it is!!
(huh?)

What you said was....

Btw: where do you propose we find a BDP1400 for $229 (now, as your ad suggests)? Refurbs are more than that.
You said "refurbs are more that that" - it's right there. Obviously refurbs are not more than that.
Plus the topic was price grabber and I stated:

"Oddly enough the current lowest prices on Price Grabber are:

Samsung BD-P1400 - $352
Sharp BD-HP20U - $350
Sony BDP-S300 - $357
Panasonic DMP-BD30 - $414

..and the first thing you see on the site is:"

So if you're seriously suggesting that
The scan of the photo you initally showed was not linked, nor did it provide the condition of the player (new or refurb), nor did it provide the retailer.
..then I believe you're not paying the slightest bit of attention or are just flat out lying to try and make a point, which you're failing miserably in doing...as usual.

Allow me to first state that this is incredibly ironic as you just accused Mr. Waratuke of intentionally ommitting the BD freebies out of his calculus (in his report). Ironic indeed.
What are you talking about? First you use the incredibly immature insult that I must be 15, not the first time you've done this, but then you start making stuff up? PLease go ahead and show me where I stated that Waratuke intentionally ommitted the BD freebies out of his report! I did no such thing, nor insinuated, or even commented on, in any way shape or form. What I stated was that Waratuke mentioned the 5-free disc offer ended because HD DVD went away, without mentioning that the 5-free disc offer ended when it had been scheduled several months earlier to end.

The math is as follows
PE (4 discs) for $29
Silly me, you're now including every single disc in your calculations. Nice job. It's a wonder you're not counting Combo discs twice as they contain two copies of the movie.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Well, you failed to initially state that the item was a refurb, nor did you provide a link for the retailer...until I called you on it. Refurb...no thanks. That just goes to show the problems BD has had.

And I never stated that you "must be 15." I asked if you were. It's an open ended question. Like: "Are you 15 minutes from home", or "Are you 15 pounds overweight?

And of course I'm including "every disc in my calculus." Should I not? Did I ever state that I would only include old titles, new titles or multiple discs?

You're not so foolish as to believe that I didn't buy them, are you? Pssssst. They're not really "free" you know. The simple fact of the matter is I have outlayed about $800 for two flagship HD players, and 70 titles...and that's a fact. :)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
nor did you provide a link for the retailer...until I called you on it.
Erm...what? What part of "the current lowest prices on Price Grabber" do you conclude is me not providing the retailer? The fact that I didn't manually type out w-w-w-.-p-r-i-c-e-g-r-a-b-b-e-r-.-c-o-m?

You're not new to Price Grabber are you?

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Sorry to go off topic here for a second John, but do you have the original Servo 15 or the v2 model...and is it your current main HT sub?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis