Blu-ray player prices going up

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
EVERYTHING is going to go up thanks to oil/fuel prices...
Yes, and that Ethanol savior is part of the blame for the skyrocketing corn prices. Oh well, 200+ years is about it.:eek:

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Is this the Mark Raby article? Can't you trace the doom and gloom regarding Blu-ray in all his articles?

Wow, the list price has gone up $40 since a few weeks after Christmas. That's a first in consumer electronics isn't it?

What a conspiracy theory you guys have uncovered.

Newsflash, the MSRP on the players he's mentioning hasn't budged at all recently, he's just comparing the average prices on Price Grabber.

Tsk, tsk.

"Pursuing the Truth in Audio & Video"

Yah, right.
Huh.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/format-war-blu-ray-up-hd-dvd-down

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Perhaps Blu Ray will only be a niche market like DVd-Audio.
Don't the vast majority of people (you know, real people, not us here on this site!) still have 40 inch and smaller screens for their main TV?

Until that changes, standard DVD really is plenty good enough for 'the masses'.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Don't the vast majority of people (you know, real people, not us here on this site!) still have 40 inch and smaller screens for their main TV?

Until that changes, standard DVD really is plenty good enough for 'the masses'.
That, and the fact that the masses generally don't appreciate higher resolution (on any size screen), and aren't willing to pay extra for it.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Huh nothing.

The BD price increase also does not include another cost factor: none of the players has included the five free movies since the end of January. This deal went away with HD DVD, further decreasing the value proposition of the players to the consumer.
Oh, you mean the deal that ended in January that was announced in September to be ending on 01.31.08?

Wow, so it ended when they said it would and now that's somehow being spun into ending because HD DVD ended? (Toshiba's announcement didn't come until 02.19.08)

Thanks for helping me illustrate the absolute rubbish being posted by former would be a/v enthusiasts.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Huh nothing.

Thanks for helping me illustrate the absolute rubbish being posted by former would be a/v enthusiasts.
Nothing? Can you contradict any of Mr. Waratuke's facts? His report is rubbish? It seems to be backed with a lot of factual data. Ahhh, the clouds must be nice... ;):p

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Nothing? Can you contradict any of Mr. Waratuke's facts? His report is rubbish? It seems to be backed with a lot of factual data. Ahhh, the clouds must be nice... ;):p
What he's doing is taking a fact, that the 5 free movies offer ended on 01.31.08, and insinuating that this happened because HD DVD was going away.

This completely ignores that fact that the January deadline for the deal was put in place back in September, but you go ahead and consider that to be an honest assesment of the "facts" if you wish. I can see bias when I read it and the ability to mention one "fact" without revealing all the additional "facts" behind it, makes this report pretty much drivel in my eyes, and bible in yours, as you have made clear numerous times that $150 is your price point. One wonders what on earth you're doing on this website.

He chastises Denon for not offering a $400 player.....Denon!!!
Hello, they have a $3,800 DVD player.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
What he's doing is taking a fact, that the 5 free movies offer ended on 01.31.08, and insinuating that this happened because HD DVD was going away.
No. You inferred that all on your own.

I can see bias when I read it and the ability to mention one "fact" without revealing all the additional "facts" behind it, makes this report pretty much drivel in my eyes, and bible in yours, as you have made clear numerous times that $150 is your price point. One wonders what on earth you're doing on this website.
Hah! Well, for one, I'm trying to help people like you. :p;) And for the record, he did state that there could numerous reasons for this development, on which he cared not to extrapolate (or guess). Critical reading. Hmmm. And I considered this an easy read...and a good read. :p;)

He chastises Denon for not offering a $400 player.....Denon!!!
Hello, they have a $3,800 DVD player.
It is nice to have several price points...no?

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Currently the lowest price on Amazon is basically 400$ [just searched and sorted by price low-to-high]. IIRC this price is higher than it was a month or two ago ....
Wow, during the Christmas and beyond shopping season?!? You don't say!

The BD-P1400 is available for $329 NEW on Amazon.

(Although this player is pretty friggin' slow, even for CD playback)

Sharp, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and Philips all have new players coming out within the next few months. These players sold what they could over Christmas, I don't expect them to move much in price between now and the new units coming out.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
It is nice to have several price points...no?
And Denon's cheapest DVD player is $169. How long after their first DVD player was released did it take them to get to this price point?

Denon has just released their first Blu-ray player. DW expects them to suddenly have a budget player out?

Please. It's like all the people who normally write articles have forgotten everything they've ever seen throughout the last 30 years of technology, except for people like Enderle who never learnt anything to begin with.

All of a sudden March is supposed to be the time of year when prices should drastically fall? Again, this analysis of Price Grabber is nothing more than sensationalistic rubbish from an HD DVD supporter/sore loser.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
EVERYTHING is going to go up thanks to oil/fuel prices...
And that's largely due to the dollar in free fall. We might actually have to learn to make products in the west again. What a novel idea! Trouble is all our good firms are now owned by foreigners. In case you had not noticed, America is for sale, and now it's a fire sale. Welcome to the worlds newest third world nation.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
And Denon's cheapest DVD player is $169. How long after their first DVD player was released did it take them to get to this price point?

Denon has just released their first Blu-ray player. DW expects them to suddenly have a budget player out?

Please. It's like all the people who normally write articles have forgotten everything they've ever seen throughout the last 30 years of technology, except for people like Enderle who never learnt anything to begin with.

All of a sudden March is supposed to be the time of year when prices should drastically fall? Again, this analysis of Price Grabber is nothing more than sensationalistic rubbish from an HD DVD supporter/sore loser.

Can we stick to the subject at hand? The demise of HD (which I have happily...almost greedily ;) cashed in on :p), and current BD pricing trends? Thank you.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Hey look, the Panasonic TH-50PZ700U was $2,099 at Christmas and now it's $2,299.

Holy ****, I can't believe it's gone up. I mean, I know there are new models coming out within the next few months, but did LCD give up? Did DLP give up? Well, why else would those prices have gone up?

It couldn't be because the CHRISTMAS SHOPPING SEASON IS OVER could it?

Who'd of thunk it?

Are you the thread police now Johnd? Only you decide what relevant to the topic at hand? Seems a little Orwellian to me.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Post #32 is perfectly relevant to debunking the current assesment of BD-player pricing and the conclusion that HD DVD's demise is going to start sending prices of players soaring.

It's just sad really to watch these people writing such opinionated scare-tactic pieces.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Hey look, the Panasonic TH-50PZ700U was $2,099 at Christmas and now it's $2,299.

Holy ****, I can't believe it's gone up. I mean, I know there are new models coming out within the next few months, but did LCD give up? Did DLP give up? Well, why else would those prices have gone up?

It couldn't be because the CHRISTMAS SHOPPING SEASON IS OVER could it?

Who'd of thunk it?

Are you the thread police now Johnd? Only you decide what relevant to the topic at hand? Seems a little Orwellian to me.
LOL. I didn't realize you were so...emotional doby. ;)

Thread police? Me? Nah.

How is BD pricing not relevant to this forum, and why are you so bent about the reporting of such facts?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Post #32 is perfectly relevant to debunking the current assesment of BD-player pricing and the conclusion that HD DVD's demise is going to start sending prices of players soaring.

It's just sad really to watch these people writing such opinionated scare-tactic pieces.
I think you're the only one getting "scared." It's just information doby. Read it, and take from it what you can, but this emotional roller coaster ride of yours is making me woozy. :p;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis