Bigtime RX-V2500 problem !!!! Help

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
Hey guys and gals,

Man I am bummed, bummed, bummed. I have had an RX-V2500 for about 7 and a half months (adult driven the whole time). Bought a set of four Mirage Omnisats, a Mirage Omni CC, and a Velodyne DLS-3750R all at the same time :) . I have been very happy, until now. The other night I was in the bedroom and heard what I thought was a pop in the sound coming from the living room where my equipment is. Thats odd I say to myself and immediately go to check it out. The wife said it happened when she was adjusting the volume with the remote. Hmmm I thought, went to adjust the volume dial mechanically with the knob, and was blown out of my skin by the sound that went out of the Center channel. It was as if the total output of the receiver went straight to the Center Channel. It will freak you out. I have checked and re-tightened all of the speaker connections etc. no problems there. And the sound only seems to come out of the center channel. It has done it a couple of times and sent such high current to the speaker it has shut the receiver down. I can not get another one (replacement) because they only do that for 3 months. It is under warranty but it will be 7-10 working days to get it back once I take it. I know this is an electrical piece of equipment and failures can happen but man this sucks to say the least.

I have not noticed any problems with the center channel, I hope it has not been damaged. I am sure the problem is within the receiver as it happens anytime the volume is adjusted, with the dial, or the remote.

Has anyone else had the same issue, or know of anyone who has, I am just disappointed, especially because I intentionally take such care of my equipment. :(

Any moral support would be appreciated, in my time of need!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
Man I am sorry, that really sucks. I have never heard of this happening to anyone else before. How long have you had the center channel for? becuase if it is under warranty still, you wont have to worry. Do not fret too much, I have heard that Yamaha's customer service is very good. Post again when it is fixed and tell us what it was if you can find out.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
wafflebird said:
Hey guys and gals,

Man I am bummed, bummed, bummed. I have had an RX-V2500 for about 7 and a half months (adult driven the whole time). Bought a set of four Mirage Omnisats, a Mirage Omni CC, and a Velodyne DLS-3750R all at the same time :) . I have been very happy, until now. The other night I was in the bedroom and heard what I thought was a pop in the sound coming from the living room where my equipment is. Thats odd I say to myself and immediately go to check it out. The wife said it happened when she was adjusting the volume with the remote. Hmmm I thought, went to adjust the volume dial mechanically with the knob, and was blown out of my skin by the sound that went out of the Center channel. It was as if the total output of the receiver went straight to the Center Channel. It will freak you out. I have checked and re-tightened all of the speaker connections etc. no problems there. And the sound only seems to come out of the center channel. It has done it a couple of times and sent such high current to the speaker it has shut the receiver down. I can not get another one (replacement) because they only do that for 3 months. It is under warranty but it will be 7-10 working days to get it back once I take it. I know this is an electrical piece of equipment and failures can happen but man this sucks to say the least.

I have not noticed any problems with the center channel, I hope it has not been damaged. I am sure the problem is within the receiver as it happens anytime the volume is adjusted, with the dial, or the remote.

Has anyone else had the same issue, or know of anyone who has, I am just disappointed, especially because I intentionally take such care of my equipment. :(

Any moral support would be appreciated, in my time of need!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Yep, very unusual indeed. I presume when you adjusted it manually, you were in the level range you usually listen?

I would check all the setup menue to see if by chance a remote button was not hit and messed it up? You also want to check the trim pots for levels where you had them to level match all the channels? You did do that when you set it up initially, right? ;)
All else fails, you need to send it in.

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
I have checked it all

Yes I checked the menu etc. It is a wattage output supply fluctuation in the severe order. Nothing changed in the menu and set-up. Sometimes when adjusting the volume the signal to the center channel is nill (It will stop making any sound), then AAHHHHGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Intense volume to the center channel, again sometimes enough to shut the receiver down, regardless of the current volume level setting.

I guess I will have to take it in as you need to be able to adjust the volume from time to time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just really dissapointed, and do not think I am knocking Yamaha, I know these things happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Being in South Florida with you, lately we have the tropical storms, and I myself have seen one really strange power surge. It actually shut down my power back-up. I to thought wow, this has never happened before.

Did this happen during that time, do you have equipment on a power surge protector.

If you do, then maybe the power surge protector comes with a certain amount of lifetime equipment protection. And it might be a case where to file a claim.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
On a unrelated note. By chance my brother or myself may know you. He paints yachts and I used to. Seeing your in marine engine sales. He also I beleive was born the same year as you 68'. However he is a July 4th boy.

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
South Florida

I work for an a large engine and equipment manufacturer dealer (Cat) in South Florida in the marine market.

As far as the surge goes I have not had any problem with any other thing in my house. Except my Xbox Live servie is not working right now. I will work on that today. Seems to be a DNS problem. I have thought of the same thing as far as electrical surge, but it is only a guess. Naturally I have everything going through a surge-protector. The receiver is still under warranty, just sucks to have to take it out and have it repaired you know, but hey, you have to do what you have to do.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
The main Cat dealer that I know of is about a quarter mile from Ft. Laud. Airport. Of course then come to think about it, that might be Detroit Diesel. Humm can't recall.

Sorry to hear the problems, really sucks.

But funny thing here is that surge I got, did not seem to affect anything else. Just my computer "Tripp-Lite" battery back-up.

Hopefully all will work out well with Yamaha.
My friend just sent (not just sent) in his DPX-1 projector for repairs, its taken them 2 weeks just to get around to looking at it. They said "they think" its a bad color wheel, and they'll try that first. Sent to main branch in California.
Surely it won't be the same tech guys working on receivers.

Sorry, to put a small fright on you there. However his DPX-1 is out of warranty, and was sent in for repairs.

Surely you'll have to send it in to warranty repairs. Hopefully they will get it back to you soon.

Just rambling on, no coffee this morning......

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
brian32672 said:
If you do, then maybe the power surge protector comes with a certain amount of lifetime equipment protection. And it might be a case where to file a claim.

I think the fine print says that they pay after home owners insurance. Not sure what kind of proof they also need ;)

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
Update on problem!!!!!!!!!

OK,

I finally bit the bullet moved the TV and disconnected, all my components, (HDTV cable, Xbox, DVD player, VCR, and all the speakers) then hooked everything back up to the TV on it’s own. I had determined earlier that if I kept the receiver on 2 Channel I had no problems and could adjust the volume no problem. I know this is stating the obvious but TV speakers alone SUCK!!!! Took the receiver to the repair facility here is South Florida. I got a little shot of hope as the guy there said they would try to check it out and fix on the spot if they could. No dice. One of the techs had gone home early. Called the next day to check the status, and found out that the volume control circuit had to be replaced. No big deal right? Well it is a big deal as the part will not be in until the 2nd of August. I find that to be outrageous as far as delivery time for the component. I would have suspected a much better timeframe, especially on this unit as I have only had it for 6 months. From the 18th of July to the 2nd of August just to get the part. Not that I have any real say in it but this is unacceptable to me. In this day and age of overnight, next day, 2nd day, express mail, shipping I am very unhappy with this. I am going to call the Sound Advice I bought this receiver from and see if they will not help me out with this. Anyway just wanted to give you an update, and to vent. Sorry for the long post.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
The delay in getting the part(s) for the volume control circuit sounds a little long, but if it is something that rarely fails, then they probably send essentially all production of the part to the receiver manufacturing facility (or facilities) and don't allocate many (if at all) to repair centers.

It is my belief that the volume control on Yamaha receivers is done via a Yamaha proprietary DSP chip. The lesser Yammie receivers use a simpler-version DSP chip for the volume control function, and a moe complex DSP chip for the various sound-field modes, etc. The higher-end receivers use the same more complex chip for both. I THINK (without knowing for sure) that this is because the volume control and YPAO parametric equalization are done by the same chip in the better receivers, whereas the cheaper receivers don't have the parametric equalization function.

All of the above is my own semi-educated guesswork, based on reading various things on Yamaha's web-site. I'd have to go back and hunt things down to re-confirm the chip names, details, etc.

The larger point is that with the volume control being done in the digital domain, an internal chip failure could have all sorts of seemingly weird/random symptoms, that you wouldn't see with old-fashioned analog gain controls, potentiometers, or resistor-ladder networks. I would also buy agree with Yamaha that this is probably a pretty rare failure mode (if that is what they are telling you).

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
just to clarify something I said in my previous post (above):

The more expensive Yammie receivers use TWO of the same type of more-complex DSP chips, for both the sound-field processing, and the volume/parametric equalization functions. (As opposed to one complex DSP plus one simpler DSP in the cheaper receivers.)

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
Makes since I suppose

If the YPAO is in with the volume control I guess that may make since. I did call Sound Advice and leave a message for the manager to call me, he was supposed to be in @ 1 today. It occurred to me @ about 5 that I had not heard from him so I called and asked. He had left for the day but the other manager did tell me that they had called and the part was going to be rushed (he sounded sincere enough) and hopefully I could have the receiver back by next week. Still sucks to wait but at least my little bit of prodding has seemed to help out some, if it is indeed repaired by next week.

I love the receiver, and I love my Mirage Omnisats and the Velodyne sub. I am made all the more aware of how much I love them by not having them. I watched Blackhawk Down the other day with my 16 year old daughter, the movie is great, but without surround sound it is no where near (Not even close) as enjoyable just through the TV, uuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to get it back and will just shrug this off as one of those things that happens. Hopefully I can have many more years of enjoyment out of the receiver without any more problems. Thanks for all of your inputs. I will post again once I get it back just to update.

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
It's Back, It's Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday was a wonderful day indeed. They called me from the repair center letting me know that it was ready for pick-up. I had a brain storm and talked the guy into letting me bring my Omni CC (Center channel) speaker in to test it. It had received the brunt of the punishment from the receiver and I wanted to make sure it did not get damaged during several of the receivers loss of volume control (To the point of shutting itself down) issues. He said no problem (with a little prodding) bring it down when you pick up your receiver.

Picked it up and they tested my CC, it was fine. :)

Came home and proceeded to hook it all up. I did it PROFESSIONALLY this time with the proper routing of power cords, AV cables, etc. I am ashamed to admit it but it was a rat’s nest (kinda) before. It looks good now.

As far as the sound I am quite convinced that there was an issue all along (it still sounded awesome) as I am hearing dialog much better than before. I have put in a few of my favorite movies with all the settings just the way they were before, it is now much easier to hear voices etc, as well as a lot more noticeable surround info going to the satellites. I am aware of the fact that I have been without it for 3-4 weeks but it is not that I forgot about how good it sounds, there is indeed a difference.

One post before stated that the volume control having the DSP in with it. And if you put all of these things together I think it makes since about the improvement in sound.

Anyway it is back and I am a happy camper to say the least. :cool:

Thanks to all for your input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis