S

snobgoblin

Enthusiast
I dont know why i thought he was talking about the 12" Bic h100.

I wouldn't even consider an 8" sub, no matter who made it. Unless your just playing music and no movies.

T

tonymontana1984

Audioholic Intern
the athena looks good on paper but where can i get it with free shipping?
my room is about 10 feet high,25 feet wide and 25 deep
i can't get a bigger sub i ran out of room this is by no means my definite for the rest of my life sub just for now(space restrains) i use my system mostly for video games,music,movies

S

snobgoblin

Enthusiast
That 8" sub will do nothing for that big of a room. Its your money, so do what you want. Just a tib bit of info, My room is 12x25x8 and i'm using a 20-39pc plus. My last sub was a bic h100. Your room is way bigger than mine.

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
forget the Athena, get the smaller X-sub from av123.com when it comes back in stock, this would probably blow the athena away with output and extension.

J

johsti

Audioholic
Tony,

You have a large room. Save up and get something worth while. Don't waste your money. There is no way in hell that an 8" sub could do any justice for your room.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
seen many places where the Athena sub is underpowered... I'd pass on it. the rest of the Athena series is very nice... I love it!

T

tonymontana1984

Audioholic Intern
i measured my room is actually 10x15x15 but my listening area is much smaller
i like the dayton sub but where can i get it?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Underpowered?

Just out of curiosity, Ducker, where have you seen that the Athena sub is underpowered?

As I noted in an earlier post here, unless your expectations were unrealistic for a sub less than $350 or your placing it in a mid-large to large room, I'm pretty confident the ASP4000 would compete fairly well for both music and HT usage, particularly under the $200 price point... -TD

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
tonymontana1984 said:
it's been discontinued
No it hasn't. Model number 300-633 and 300-635. Are you going to the Parts Express website in Dayton, Ohio?

The Dayton Audio SUB-120 is the perfect subwoofer for medium to elarge home theaters or listening rooms. A 150 watt amp, long-throw front firing 12" driver, and dual rear ports produce impressively deep and powerful bass. Since the ports are rear-mounted and feature a flared design, air turbulence at high listening levels is minimized for the cleanest sound. The amplifier features high and low level inputs, filtered high and low level outputs, phase switch, volume control, auto on/off (activated by an input signal) and a variable 12dB/octave electronic low pass filter. This subwoofer reproduces serious low-frequency bass that will rival the performance of much more expensive subwoofers.

Specifications: *12" long throw woofer *150 watt amp *Low pass filter: 40 - 180Hz 12dB/octave *Frequency response: 25 - 180Hz *Exterior dimensions: 14-3/4" W x 17-3/4" H x 18" D.

* House shaking power
* Front firing long throw woofer
* Unobtrusive "Black Ash" finish

The Dayton Audio SUB-100 is the perfect subwoofer for small to medium sized home theaters or listening rooms. A 125 watt amp, long-throw front firing 10" driver, and dual rear ports produce impressively deep and clean bass. Since the ports are rear-mounted and feature a flared design, air turbulence at high listening lvels is minimized for the cleanest sound. The amplifier features high and low level inputs, filtered high and low level outputs, phase switch, volume control, auto on/off (activated by an input signal) and a variable 12dB/octave electronic low pass filter. Despite its small size, this subwoofer plays serious low-frequency bass that will rival the performance of much more expensive subwoofers.

Specifications: *10" long throw woofer *125 watt amp *Low pass filter: 40 - 180Hz 12dB/octave *Frequency response: 30 - 180Hz *Exterior dimensions: 14-3/4" W x 16-1/2" H x 15-3/4" D.

S

simpleHT

Audioholic Intern
tomd51 said:
Athena from OneCall or Audio Advisor would likely run you about $170 w/shipping. Considering the specs, though, I don't see the BIC performing as
Make it $150 + shipping from OneCall

T

tonymontana1984

Audioholic Intern
Buckeyefan 1 said:
No it hasn't. Model number 300-633 and 300-635. Are you going to the Parts Express website in Dayton, Ohio?

The Dayton Audio SUB-120 is the perfect subwoofer for medium to elarge home theaters or listening rooms. A 150 watt amp, long-throw front firing 12" driver, and dual rear ports produce impressively deep and powerful bass. Since the ports are rear-mounted and feature a flared design, air turbulence at high listening levels is minimized for the cleanest sound. The amplifier features high and low level inputs, filtered high and low level outputs, phase switch, volume control, auto on/off (activated by an input signal) and a variable 12dB/octave electronic low pass filter. This subwoofer reproduces serious low-frequency bass that will rival the performance of much more expensive subwoofers.

Specifications: *12" long throw woofer *150 watt amp *Low pass filter: 40 - 180Hz 12dB/octave *Frequency response: 25 - 180Hz *Exterior dimensions: 14-3/4" W x 17-3/4" H x 18" D.

* House shaking power
* Front firing long throw woofer
* Unobtrusive "Black Ash" finish

The Dayton Audio SUB-100 is the perfect subwoofer for small to medium sized home theaters or listening rooms. A 125 watt amp, long-throw front firing 10" driver, and dual rear ports produce impressively deep and clean bass. Since the ports are rear-mounted and feature a flared design, air turbulence at high listening lvels is minimized for the cleanest sound. The amplifier features high and low level inputs, filtered high and low level outputs, phase switch, volume control, auto on/off (activated by an input signal) and a variable 12dB/octave electronic low pass filter. Despite its small size, this subwoofer plays serious low-frequency bass that will rival the performance of much more expensive subwoofers.

Specifications: *10" long throw woofer *125 watt amp *Low pass filter: 40 - 180Hz 12dB/octave *Frequency response: 30 - 180Hz *Exterior dimensions: 14-3/4" W x 16-1/2" H x 15-3/4" D.

i can't get it then because it's front firing
i like the athena now that i think about it but amazon doesn't have them now.
man i need it for 150 free shipping.

T

tonymontana1984

Audioholic Intern
AzN_plyR said:
why can't you get it because it's front firing...? :confused:
because of limited space, placing the speaker facing me is impossible
so it has to be downfiring so that location is not important

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
tonymontana1984 said:
because of limited space, placing the speaker facing me is impossible
so it has to be downfiring so that location is not important
Are you referring to localization? :confused:

SheepStar

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Tony may be referring to directional placement as a front firing sub is more likely subject to location placement (e.g., walls, furniture, etc.) than a downward firing sub... -TD

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
tomd51 said:
Tony may be referring to directional placement as a front firing sub is more likely subject to location placement (e.g., walls, furniture, etc.) than a downward firing sub... -TD
I don't know. I have found that the less the subwoofer interacts with walls, the better (front firing, front ported) as far as placement goes.

SheepStar

T

tonymontana1984

Audioholic Intern
my new sub is on its way!!!

i decided to buy the athena sub, i think it's a better value,got it for $149
free shipping from Amazon.com.
while some of the suggestions were good in the end i went for a sure thing
i think i will post my review when i get it
till then!!!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
tonymontana1984 said:
i decided to buy the athena sub, i think it's a better value,got it for $149
free shipping from Amazon.com.
while some of the suggestions were good in the end i went for a sure thing
i think i will post my review when i get it
till then!!!
Congrats. Post some pics while your at it.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis