T

tonymontana1984

Audioholic Intern
i can't decide between the bic v815 and the athena p s4000 subwoofers
any help would be appreciated and no i can't spend more money on a better sub.

S

snobgoblin

Enthusiast
bic h100 $250. I had the 4000 and it wasnt good for movies. Just music.

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
av123.com X-SUB when it comes back in stock. $199?

Acoustech H100 @ any one of Bic's authorized dealer ( to get full warranty ) for 250 bucks.

These are probably the most popular in this pricerange right now. Also, the rocket sub at av123.com in the b-stock section that cost under 200 bucks too. hat thing looks nice and should perform pretty good.

mytzen

mytzen

Audioholic
If possible try to go out and listen to them. You can call BIC to find a local retailer and Athena's are sold at BB but you can get better prices for them at audioadvisor.

V815 P4000
Woofer 8” 10”
RMS 150W 100W
Peak 325W 400W
Frequency 37-120Hz 23-120Hz

The warranty on the driver of the V815 is 2 years longer than the P4000.

Hopefully this helps.

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
man, the freq on the bic is horrible, but the feq on the athena is horribly OFF.... no way that thing goes down to the 23hz with decent output!

mytzen

mytzen

Audioholic
I'm not sure if it has a decent output but those are the specs from Athena's website.

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
yah I know it is from thier web..... but there were already numbers measured on the bigger p6000 and it dropped off very fast after 30hz....

S

simpleHT

Audioholic Intern
I owned the P6000, and it went pretty low. It's very good for HT, too boomy for music.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I got my AS-P400 to 27Hz. 25 had almost nothing.

SheepStar

D

Duffman-OOHYEAH

Junior Audioholic
A few people (myself included) have witnessed the x-sub's capability of plunging down to 20hz with fairly strong output. If you have a small/med sized room it is hard to beat for the $$ and is quite articulate with music. I have 2 in my 19x14x8 livingroom which they pressurize & shake much better then the e250p (12" 550watt) they replace.

JR

M

Maximo

Enthusiast
Hsu STF-1 is only $299 and will be much better than the Athena from what I've read. I used an Athena sub for a while, and I wasn't impressed at all.

T

tonymontana1984

Audioholic Intern
thanks guys but like i said i can't spend more money
besides i have spece restrains can't be more than 11' wide
i think i like the bic because of the warranty and it has more watts rms but many online stores don't have it why?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Hi Tony;
I recently picked up an Athena ASP4000 from OneCall for just over $180.00. Some of the criteria I chose it with is similar to yours. In researching for a smaller form factor sub (width wise) in another thread (see this link), for the price, I think the ASP4000 is tough to beat. I've been using for a little less than a month and I'd have to say that in the room I've chosen to use it, it provides good depth and response for both music and movies.

If your choices are limited to $200.00 or less, consider picking one of these up from OneCall or Audio Advisor, properly calibrate it with the rest of your system and see if it suits the bill. If not, both companies have decent return policies, however unless you were completely horrified by its performance, which I would be terribly surprised, or your expectations were unrealistic for a sub less than $350, you'll be pretty pleased with it.

Don't make your judgement on just wattage, I've made that mistake in the past. 100w RMS is relatively powerful and considering that most bass passages in movies are dynamic and not constant, the RMS may not hold as much weight as the peak value.

Lastly, if you can pick up the ASP4000 at a Best Buy and give it a couple days trial, you might have your answer right then and there on which you'd prefer. If you didn't like it, it's only a drive back to the store.

Good luck w/your choice, evaluate them if you have the opportunity... -TD

T

tonymontana1984

Audioholic Intern
thanks but i'm still leaning towards the bic because of price i can get it for 150
at great brands shopping.com besides the warranty is longer.if anyone has a bic sub can you tell me if they're reliable.

2upFZ1

Enthusiast
I had the 4000 on my "short list". Then found a Def Tech 100TL on eBay for $275 (to my door). For the output/size, you can't beat DT.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
NP, sounds like you have your mind already made up, though. One last suggestion, make sure you can get a warranty through whomever you decide... -TD

T

tonymontana1984

Audioholic Intern
it's not that i made up my mind but i already spent a lot of money upgrading my system and unfortunately the sub was left for last i don't want to spend more
and like i said i have limited room for it. but what do you mean by getting the warranty don't you get it from the factory ?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
tonymontana1984 said:
it's not that i made up my mind but i already spent a lot of money upgrading my system and unfortunately the sub was left for last i don't want to spend more
and like i said i have limited room for it. but what do you mean by getting the warranty don't you get it from the factory ?
If you can get the BIC for $150 w/shipping included and it performs just as well as the Athena, that would be your best bet, as the Athena from OneCall or Audio Advisor would likely run you about $170 w/shipping. Considering the specs, though, I don't see the BIC performing as well as the Athena, at the very least when it comes to HT usage and some deeper LFE passages. It would be smaller and and easier fit, but I assumed since you mentioned the Athena as one of your possible choices, that it would fit in your application.

My suggestion was to try the Athena, possibly from Best Buy even if its a few dollars more, then if you are satisfied w/it, you could bring it back for a full refund and order the cheaper one online.

I also wanted to point out whether it's online or in-store, make sure that it comes with a warranty (typically at least one year w/subs). Some online retailers (and even some local stores for that matter) don't always offer a warranty. It looks like Great Brands Shopping does offer the full mfgrs warranty, but just wanted to make sure you checked, as I'd never heard of them prior to your mention... -TD

J

johsti

Audioholic
Tony,

I highly recommend that you reconsider your purchase. I think you will outgrow the BIC sub in no time, and quite frankly I don't think there is much of a resale market for a used 8" BIC sub (not knocking BIC, look at my sig). For $150 I would look at the dayton 10" or 12", or go for the Athena sub. Either of those would be easy to sell if and when you're ready to upgrade. Also look at the av123 x-sub for $199 if you need a small footprint. The x-sub looks like a bargain. Or, build your own sub if you need to stay within a budget.

Can you stretch your budget a little bit more? Spending another $100 or so will put you into a much better sub. The Cadence and the BIC acoustech sub get great reviews in the $250 range.

A good subwoofer makes a HUGE difference in a home theater unless you only watch documentaries and drama. I would rather put more money into a sub than a receiver for HT applications. Don't make the mistake that I did, and waste your money on 2 or 3 different cheap subs before finally stepping up to the plate to get a real entry level sub. The difference is much more drastic than you might think, and I'm not just talking about the obvious. Of course there is much more bass and output, but the overall sound quality of my setup improved drastically with a good sub. Much more than I ever anticipated.

Do what you want to do, but someday I think you will agree with what I'm trying to say.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Some good advice here. For your budget, the Dayton 12" would be best, but it may not fit your space. A smaller driver is not going to give you much usable output under 30Hz, and may not even do so above 30Hz in a large space. You want to get something that will fill your room. I may have missed it, but how large is the listening area?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis