Best male singing voice ever...who has it?!

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Some of my favs are:

Frank Sinatra
Chris Rea
Billy Joel
Michael Franks
Neil Diamond

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
For range, power, and authority, its a coin toss between Robert Plant and Steve Tyler. Those two rule without peers..Sorry Mr Daltry, you didn't make the cut.

For sheer musicality, Freddy Mercury of Queen..dam the whole group. Who would have thought that acappella with rock instruments would sound so dam good.

P

pandabighead

Audiophyte
new here so just to through in a couple of leftfielders as it were that haven't been mentioned, paul jones from the orginal mannfred man or steven paige from bare naked ladies?
pbh

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
new here so just to through in a couple of leftfielders as it were that haven't been mentioned, paul jones from the orginal mannfred man or steven paige from bare naked ladies?
pbh
Please learn how to use the "shift" key. Thanks.:)

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I actually grew up on southern gospel music (dad and grandpa traveled in quartets) and there are some AMAZING male vocalists in this category. I dont really listen to it much anymore but one guy stands out. David Phelps has to be the most dynamic male vocalist i've ever heard in any genre. His range, breathing and dynamics are matched by no one i've ever heard. Check out "just as i am" by him... (its not the traditional invitation song) His christmas album (one wintry night) is pretty solid as well...

Last edited:
L

Lageer0

Audiophyte
Hey I´ve been reading many of the replies, and I can say I really know most of the singers mentioned here.
Definitely my vote goes to Jason Kay (Jamiroquai) of the nineties era.

For his melodic, unique and stylish voice and some of the fantastic jazzy solos he has on live performances.

About the "so mentioned voice range" i am TOTALLY SURE he beats the crap on freddie mercury. If you don´t believe me just go to youtube listen to jamiroquai 90´s live concerts (eg live taratata; live london 95 ...) I´m positive there is no singer that can reach so easily that super high tones that he used to reach quite often.

It´s a shame nowadays he tottaly losted it, Jamiroquai now is pop crap and his voice it´s pretty raspy.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Some great singers mentioned. If you younger guys remember him I would like to suggest Steve Miller as well.

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
I think my two favorite male singers can be considered rock by some stretch of the definition:

• Bob Dylan
  • Tom Waits

These are, at times, two of the most emotionally moving voices of the last century IMHO. They certainly personify the content of their songs with a unique mastery.

H

hogfan

Audioholic Intern
Elvis, you know who
  1. Elvis, you know who
  2. James Taylor, he can sing the intructions to a cake recipe and sound great
  3. Jimi Jamison, He's with Survivor, I remember him better from a Memphis band TARGET. Just a great raunchy, blues voice.
  4. George Mickaels, I just love his voice.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Rob Thomas.

Everytime I see him or Matchbox Twenty in concert, I'm flat out blown away at his vocals. nevermind the talent he has writing lyrics... that mother can sing!

T

TVJon

Audioholic
James Taylor in my generation. Jason Mraz in the Millenium generation. His vocal dexterity is amazing. Or as Randy Jackson would say on Idol... "You can definitely blow, dog."

TVJon

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
frank sinatra, ray charles, stevie wonder, freddie mercury, eddie vedder, scott weiland, todd park mohr, jason mraz, martin sexton.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
the best voice in rock is, without a doubt, Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues (four words..."Nights in White Satin")

second best is Freddy Mercury.

best in R&B is still Johnny Mathis, after all these years, but Aaron Neville is extremely talented as well.
I think Nights in "White Satin is sensational".....
But when it comes to voice, Freddie Mercury !!!!
A close second to David Bowie... How about Scary Monsters !

He singlehandedly transformed Live Aid to a success with his performance of "Radio Ga Ga at Wembley" stadium..... But seriously, listen to the guy and what he did :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, but it is the dead guys that I remember the most, and besides, I am sure they are singing somewhere (or at least I hope they are singing somewhere).
Steven

Your signature is awesome :D:D:D:D:D:D

"I see said the blind man as the deaf mute hammered the nail into his thumb."

L

Lageer0

Audiophyte
hummm.. James Taylor, very good, got all his albums.
Eddie Vedder, Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, also..
But I insist, Jay Kay has it. Nobody can beat it.
Just listen (for example)

youtube.com/watch?v=vGNbvDTg9g4

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis