Best Buy pulls HD DVD inventory

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Interesting that Amazon is selling at 11-16 dollars each while Best Buy and Circuit City never approached that price. Circuit City was, I believe buy 3 get two free for about 18 dollars each. I wonder how Amazon manages it. Doesn't seem that Amazon could negotiate better prices than the mammoths. I just purchased King Kong, Superman Returns, and Batman Begins for about $40 from Amazon.

20Glove

Audioholic
Best Buy Sucks in this poster's opinion

Best Buy, what a foul company. I will continue to USE Best Buy and Magnolia for price matching purposes only!! I will have them go through a whole bunch of hoops and then tell them... not interested!!

I just purchased my HD DVD player mid November from Best Buy. I was right outside the 90 day return policy that they had run, so I figured I would get in on the fire sale of HD DVD movies once Best Buy dipped those movies around $10 to $12.

Then I went to the store to get Terminator 2 and they said all the HD DVD's were moved to the warehouse and would be sold on Best Buy online... now I see that was a LIE!

I just purchased that player in November... when in my opinion Best Buy had already decided or been in talks to discontinue HD DVD support.

My thing is... I am stuck with my HD DVD player that Best Buy sold me... why does the store get to send these movies back for a REFUND!!! This SUCKS!! I do not get to send my HD DVD player back for a REFUND!! Best Buy is a bunch of cheats and scammers... ohhhhh they will pay me off later this month with $50.... Freakin Cheats and Scammers!!!

I know it was my decision to buy an HD DVD player... but at the time I bought everyone kept saying the format war would go on for at least a year. Plus who is bailing me out... Why does Best Buy get bailed out... they should be taking returns on all HD DVD players... I would not be so upset if they had not taken those movies out of their stores... this sucks... and where is the federal government on this one!!! Yes... businesses are out to make money... but at the expense of the consumer... again my question is... Why do all the HD DVD owners get screwed when the damn company that sold us this crap does not get screwed... you gotta be kidding me!

I mean c'mon... the federal government is going to bail out home owners that bit off more than they could chew and we are worrying about baseball and steriods... what about all these businesses in bed together screwing the consumer. Oh wait... most politicians are rich and made there money from screwing the consumer too... I love this country but wow... politicians sniff around where they should not... (Baseball and Steriods and NFL and Cheating)... but who cares about a business selling crap... then unloading the crap that they sold and not allowing the consumer to unload the crap. Pretty cool!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The two weeks or so prior to the announcement all HD DVD discs were $9.99 at BB. The discs were all pulled on the 23rd.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wal-Mart just extended their return policy on HD DVD players a few days ago. Maybe Best Buy will do the same.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Try talking in person to the store manager. Sometimes they will offer you a store credit just to keep a happy customer.

Jack

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Our Sears cares about contented customers but definitely not our local CC. I hope they do in other parts. Our CC is the worst store imaginable fit only for buying cd or dvd on sale.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
This is why I'm buying online more than ever, I find it less of a strain returning something than at my local B&Ms.:eek:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I know it was my decision to buy an HD DVD player...
The number one inviolable law of CE is........early adopters get scorched. The same sentiment was said by Betamax, LD, MiniDisc and 8 track player owners. Caveat Emptor.

G

Gatsby191

Audioholic
Have both an HD player and a BD player too!

I know alot of people are feeling pretty foolish about their investment into the world of HD instead of Blu-Ray. Not me. Yes I was lucky enough to have received a Panasonic DMP BD30 from good old "Popason" as a Christmas gift, that was actually meant to be his contribution to the HT that I finished after 2 years of saving and starving. Besides, I did this for everyone in my house, and never asked for any help what so ever.(with the money part anyway). Well, since I had originally wanted to get a dual format player (Samsungs HD/BD player), and my father had already purchased the Panny BD player, my sister and my cousin(who always comes for Movie night) decided that they wanted to make a contribution too. So they gave me a Toshiba HD A-35. I know, I am a very fortunate guy, and my family really came through on this one! Anyway, After having both machines now since DEcember, I have to say that the real reason that I am upset about HD going belly up, is not solely because of the fact that there won't be anything new released ever again, but it's realistically because I like my HD player better. The picture is a bit "Tighter" , and I like using the HD player, rather than the BD player, when I play regular DVD movies. IMHO, the upscaling on the HD player seems to be "more true". But like I just stated, this is IMHO.
Well that's my 3 cents. Joe B.
BTW; I have purchased 5 new HD movies on Ebay's "Half.com", and the average price I have paid with delivery included is about $16.50. I can handle that without feelings of regret. Also,The Like new HD I purchased (U-571) may as well have been brand new, based upon the way it looked and played when I received it. ($13.50 delivered) I love this movie! :D
Lastly: BB can kiss my BUTT! Half.com has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with, no matter who I've bought from on there, and they have any title I want, whenever I want.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Here in Ontario Canada Walmart HD DVD fire sale (except for a few titles that are still >$30) is finally on but the shelves are approaching empty quickly.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The number one inviolable law of CE is........early adopters get scorched. The same sentiment was said by Betamax, LD, MiniDisc and 8 track player owners. Caveat Emptor.
Agree, and I think early adopters include those who picked the right format but paid high prices for products that are not yet trouble free.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Try talking in person to the store manager. Sometimes they will offer you a store credit just to keep a happy customer.

Jack
I read somewhere they were offering store credits towards exchanges.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, I am still waiting for EVERYTHING to settle down:D My boomboxes are just fine:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Here in Ontario Canada Walmart HD DVD fire sale (except for a few titles that are still >$30) is finally on but the shelves are approaching empty quickly.
I was wrong, my local store is doing it but another one 20 km away is not.

20Glove

Audioholic
It was only a matter of time before they eliminated the valuable shelf space taken by HD-DUD. Considering the current state of the format, I'm surprised BB didn't do it sooner. .......the stockholder comes first, and wasting space on a DUD isn't good business.
Stockholders!!!! Whatever.... they took the chance on what you call HD DUD.... and they got to send back units and movies for refunds... why not the consumer!!?

Stockholders have to worry about repeat customers... and with the way the economy is right now... STOCKHOLDERS and BEST BUY need every REPEAT customer they can get... there will be no NEW customers for a while during what I guess we are calling a recession...

BEST BUY and their "Stockholders" need to support what they sell to their customer!!! Not back out and SCREW the customer!!

(Why did Toshiba and the movie companies allow a BIG business(es) back out but not allow the consumer to back out???) CAN Anyone answer this!?!?!?!?! Toshiba still sells TV's, Computers, and DVD players.... Toshiba even said in their press release that they would NOT do refunds or gift cards, cause it still can act as a very good upconvert DVD player. What the hell... they need to change that press release and say that the CONSUMER can not return the product but the Billion Dollar Companies can return the product... seems pretty fair!?!?!

If they would have had a FIRE SALE... the shelves would have been cleared long b4 3/26!!! C'mon lets not kids ourselves!!! Best Buy's $50 gift card... what a nice thing to do... they will still make a profit!! A lot of PROFIT!!

How is it that Circuit City is still selling HD DVD players at $69 A3, $99 A30, and $129 A35. When Best Buy got to send there stock bakc for a REFUND??? And lets ask ourselves why did Best Buy keep selling HD DVD players even after they announced they were not supporting it any longer....
CC is still selling movies too... 50% off today... since 3/26 BB has not sold any at the store!! Who is supporting the consumer?

All I say is... since we as consumers got BURNED why does the retailer not get BURNED! And when the retailer that sold me the product gets off scott free and the consumer gets SCREWED that is DIRTY!!! LOW!!! and PLAIN BAD business!!! Both by Toshiba and Best Buy.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
20Glove,
I could understand your utter contempt if the format stopped working after they announced that it would no longer continue to be produced, but this isn't the case. Any existing players and media will continue to work fine, more than likely for years to come. It's not like a subscription to a website that is going out of business or something like that. What you currently have will continue to work, I think you are more angry that you made a decision and it happened to be the losing one, but did you really lose? It is still a very good media source. You more than likely got it at a great price. Media is still readily available, and in many cases the HD DVD version of the movies are cheaper than the SD version. So what I don't understand is why the level of anger over this? Enjoy the fire sales, stock up on movies at a great discount and enjoy them for many years to come. By then BD players may be much more affordable, or heaven forbid, a new format available to check out. ;)

Mike

P

Penny

Banned
Best Buy, what a foul company. I will continue to USE Best Buy and Magnolia for price matching purposes only!! I will have them go through a whole bunch of hoops and then tell them... not interested!!

I just purchased my HD DVD player mid November from Best Buy. I was right outside the 90 day return policy that they had run, so I figured I would get in on the fire sale of HD DVD movies once Best Buy dipped those movies around $10 to $12.

Then I went to the store to get Terminator 2 and they said all the HD DVD's were moved to the warehouse and would be sold on Best Buy online... now I see that was a LIE!

I just purchased that player in November... when in my opinion Best Buy had already decided or been in talks to discontinue HD DVD support.

My thing is... I am stuck with my HD DVD player that Best Buy sold me... why does the store get to send these movies back for a REFUND!!! This SUCKS!! I do not get to send my HD DVD player back for a REFUND!! Best Buy is a bunch of cheats and scammers... ohhhhh they will pay me off later this month with $50.... Freakin Cheats and Scammers!!!

I know it was my decision to buy an HD DVD player... but at the time I bought everyone kept saying the format war would go on for at least a year. Plus who is bailing me out... Why does Best Buy get bailed out... they should be taking returns on all HD DVD players... I would not be so upset if they had not taken those movies out of their stores... this sucks... and where is the federal government on this one!!! Yes... businesses are out to make money... but at the expense of the consumer... again my question is... Why do all the HD DVD owners get screwed when the damn company that sold us this crap does not get screwed... you gotta be kidding me!

I mean c'mon... the federal government is going to bail out home owners that bit off more than they could chew and we are worrying about baseball and steriods... what about all these businesses in bed together screwing the consumer. Oh wait... most politicians are rich and made there money from screwing the consumer too... I love this country but wow... politicians sniff around where they should not... (Baseball and Steriods and NFL and Cheating)... but who cares about a business selling crap... then unloading the crap that they sold and not allowing the consumer to unload the crap. Pretty cool!

Lithium, ever heard of it?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Could this be why??

Perhaps sales on HD DVD media had fallen off so greatly BB decided to pull off the shelf to make room for other products.. I seriously doubt that the move was planned several months out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis