best budget floorstanding speakers?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
It would be interesting to see what you would fine - they still
look like tall bookshelf speakers to me.
I ordered a pair, mostly to see how low it will really go. The spec says 45 hz, but that has to be bogus. Still, this is a ported desgin (vs sealed for the bookshelf), so maybe it can make it into the 50's. Or not.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
Infinity Primus P363, a 3-way with a pair of 6.5" LF drivers and a real crossover, is often sale priced $99 inc s/h from Amazon (Prime). I have five of them in a 5.1 HT - and a Polk 12" sub that seldom gets turned on. My wife has a pair of them in her office connected to her stereo components. They are sensitive and full bodied.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
They are sensitive and full bodied.
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from your comment about them being sensitive.
They are known to need decent amplification. Here is the analysis of impedance/phase measurement from AH review:
Although Harman rates the Infinity Primus P363 as 8-ohm speakers, what I measured tells a much different story. These are clearly 4-ohm speakers. They appear to be tuned just below 50Hz, but the saddle points are quite asymmetric. This indicates a system tuning too low for the available box size needed to produce a more optimal response. The 4 ohm dip between 100Hz to 200Hz is a bit concerning for those wanting to use these speakers with budget A/V receivers. Even if bass managed, these speakers can present a rather strenuous load if the amplifiers in the A/V receiver don’t take kindly to 4-ohm loads. I found that Infinity employed a 4-ohm tweeter as evident by the impedance dip above 10kHz. I believe they did this in attempt to increase speaker sensitivity.
Link to review:
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/primus-p363/primus-p363-measurements

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Dennis are you still modding the Dayton Towers? I can't find the thread where you kind of liked them.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I haven't modded the towers yet. I'm spending every waking minute trying to fill orders for the Pioneer mods. I didn't really like the towers--I just thought they were decent for the price and could be improved fairly easily, since the basic problem is the lack of a woofer low pass filter.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis