Best Bookshelf speakers under $300/pair

V

vinisol

Audioholic Intern
I'm gointo to Miami.

Anyone could describe KEF iQ10 or Ascend CBM-170SE?

Thanks everybody.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Just for anyone who might be interested in the NHT Absolute Zero...

There is an authorized dealer selling them for $149 each (or best offer) on ebay...
Also, heads up - Go to Ebay and do a search under consumer electronics.
Type in Destination Audio - look at the F300R bookshelf speakers for $60
a pair, with free shipping. This is the old EF30 speakers from Emptek/RBH
company. Destination Audio, is the RBH installation company.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Also, heads up - Go to Ebay and do a search under consumer electronics.
Type in Destination Audio - look at the F300R bookshelf speakers for $60
a pair, with free shipping. This is the old EF30 speakers from Emptek/RBH
company. Destination Audio, is the RBH installation company.
Have you heard the F300R (or EF30)?

Looks like a nice deal for $60...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Have you heard the F300R (or EF30)?

Looks like a nice deal for $60...
No - however, I just ordered it. This will complete the speakers for
my summer, Blast from the Past shootout. People with a real tight
budget, should consider this - only 4 pairs left.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm gointo to Miami.

Anyone could describe KEF iQ10 or Ascend CBM-170SE?

Thanks everybody.
I haven't heard the KEF but a friend has the Ascends and I have their bigger brothers (CMT-340SE and Sierra-1) and the best description of the 170SE is homely to look at but very neutral to the ear. The older ones picked up a few awards but what I have not seen anywhere is a test report on the newer SE version. I'd love to see Audioholics put them toe to toe in a shootout with the Usher S-520 and Axiom M3 just to see how they do.

V

vinisol

Audioholic Intern
I was very inclinable to buy Cambridge S30 or NHT Absolute Zero system.

But I've just read some articles and reviews about Ascend CBM1-70 SE and I'm in doubt again.

The system with Cambridge S30 would be: 4 x S30, S50 and sub S90. Is that right?

If I choose NHT Absolute Zero would be: 4 x Absolute Zero, Absolute Center and B-10d?

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General

But I've just read some articles and reviews about Ascend CBM1-70 SE and I'm in doubt again.

The system with Cambridge S30 would be: 4 x S30, S50 and sub S90. Is that right?

If I choose NHT Absolute Zero would be: 4 x Absolute Zero, Absolute Center and B-10d?
In either case, you don't need to buy a sub from the same brand. I'd recommend an Emotiva Ultra Sub 10 over the S90 for performance reasons, and over the B-10d to save money.
http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=118 (if you don't mind black ash b-stock)
http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=106 (if you want the satin black)

Better yet, if you're willing to pay the cost of the B-10d, then get this instead:
http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=105

As far as centers... for either the Cambridge or NHT systems... another option, if you have the space to place the speaker vertically, is to use another S30 or Absolute Zero as a center. This gives a perfect match up front.

If not, then yes, the S50 for the Cambridge... I have to be honest... I'm not overly confident in this speaker. Having heard the S30, it's clear Cambridge can design a very good speaker for the money. However, the S50 uses a typical MTM layout with fairly wide driver spacing and a 2nd order xover... which worries me about off-axis performance. Closer driver placement and a steeper xover would make me feel more confident in it's ability to avoid off axis lobing issues. I haven't heard the S50 - so this is just speculation... but speculation based on what I've learned regarding this type of speaker (horizontal MTM).

If it were me... I'd opt for a 3rd, vertical S30 over the S50. Cost wise you'd only be spending $20 more, and you'd have a spare speaker that you can sell or keep around for "just in case"...

For the NHT, the Absolute Center or the Two C... Neither of these is a perfect driver match to the Absolute Zero... but NHT has tried to voice the entire classic line to timbre match... so while the Two C is very different in driver compliment, and won't match the Absolute Zero perfectly... it is a better center than the Absolute Center...

That said.... if you don't need the wider dispersion of the 3-way design (ie. you sit close to on-axis)... and if you have a smallish space... the Absolute Center would be fine.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

I would not buy the Cambridge sub - I would look for a stronger and
more powerful sub, to go with that system.
Due to budget, you could look at Emotiva
http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub10.shtm

The more you read reviews - the more complex it can be.
The ball is now in your court.

Last edited:
A

alphaiii

Audioholic General

Regarding the Ascend...

I haven't heard the CBM-170SE... I have owned the HTM-200SE... While it measures neutral... it comes off as a little bright, I'm guessing due to the lack of bass...

The CBM-170SE measures dead neutral... (measurements of the non-SE version here: http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/ascend_cbm170/).... but some still feel it's a little bright or clinical... Others absolutely love it...

I'd take the NHT or S30 over the HTM-200SE... but cannot speak for the CBM-170SE.

It is a more sensitive speaker than the others, so it should play loud with little power...

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them... it's going to be a matter of personal preference and what factors are most important.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
No - however, I just ordered it. This will complete the speakers for
my summer, Blast from the Past shootout. People with a real tight
budget, should consider this - only 4 pairs left.
I bought a pair too... Put in an offer and they accepted...

With the ebay bucks I had... came for $43 and change... I figured it was worth a shot at that price... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I would just get 5 identical speakers + 1 or 2 subwoofers.:D

5 identical speakers should give you perfect "timbre" matching, if you subscribe to that theory.:D

I think if you want speakers that have the best frequency response (most accurate per response per Home Theater Magazine documented in writting), then get 5 of the NHT Absolute Zero speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I bought a pair too... Put in an offer and they accepted...

With the ebay bucks I had... came for $43 and change... I figured it was worth a shot at that price... ;)
Here we go again - however, it should be interesting - I would not
be surprised, if I picked up a certain JBL sound character.

Now down to 3 cs

V

vinisol

Audioholic Intern
I'm getting decided to Absolute Zero speaker including it for center channel too.

For subwoofer I have read that these are very good, but which one have the best match considering NHT speakers:

HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer - http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html
HSU VTF-2 MK3 Subwoofer - http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html
HSU VTF-3 MK3 Subwoofer - http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-mk3.html

ULTRA SUB 10 - http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub10.shtm
ULTRA SUB 12 - http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub12.shtm

SB12-NSD - http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12nsd.cfm

Velodyne - I don't know which model

V

vinisol

Audioholic Intern
Where could I buy these SVS, Epik or Emotiva subs? Is there any seller on ebay or a store in Miami?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why would you guys advise him to buy a speaker that rolls off at that high of a frequency to begin with? Now, for the full range of frequencies, he has to crossover the sub at higher than 90 hz, which localizes it.This speaker is down 6 db at 80 hz. $300 can get you a better speaker than that. If I were to get an NHT speaker, I wouldn't go lower than a Classic Two, which at least has some bass extension.

The Hsu subs will roll off at 90 hz if you rely on it's internal crossover, but they are flat to over 200 hz if it is switched off. If your system is setup correctly you wouldn't be using the sub's crossover anyway.

Also, before you shoot down the Hsu subs, note that the VTF2 and VTF3 will have much better low-frequency extension, greater output, and a flatter frequency response than the sealed subs. They are also much larger and heavier than the other sealed subs, but with the size increase you get much better deep bass performance, and they are the only ones that can actually do deep bass performance from the ones mentioned. They would easily be the best subs, especially for home theater, but if you have to ship them back and forth from Miami to Brazil, that might be too awkward given their size. A sub that can approximate the Hsu's output and deep bass but is easier to haul around would be the SVS PC12-NSD, which only weighs 60 lbs.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Regarding the Ascend...

I haven't heard the CBM-170SE... I have owned the HTM-200SE... While it measures neutral... it comes off as a little bright, I'm guessing due to the lack of bass...

The CBM-170SE measures dead neutral... (measurements of the non-SE version here: http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/ascend_cbm170/).... but some still feel it's a little bright or clinical... Others absolutely love it...

I'd take the NHT or S30 over the HTM-200SE... but cannot speak for the CBM-170SE.

It is a more sensitive speaker than the others, so it should play loud with little power...

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them... it's going to be a matter of personal preference and what factors are most important.
I think Ascend would tell you that the CBM-170SE is a wee bit better speaker than the HTM-200 (which I have not heard - I've only heard that comment). The sealed HTM-200 is a compromise intended for use where a rear ported speakers just won't fit the decor. I have not done a side by side but I seem to remember Curtis (Ascend forum mod) saying that the 170SE actually has a bit better high frequency extension than the standard (non-NrT) Sierra-1 which is a good thing. But I have not spent a ton of time with the 170, they belong to a friend not me.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I think Ascend would tell you that the CBM-170SE is a wee bit better speaker than the HTM-200 (which I have not heard - I've only heard that comment). The sealed HTM-200 is a compromise intended for use where a rear ported speakers just won't fit the decor. I have not done a side by side but I seem to remember Curtis (Ascend forum mod) saying that the 170SE actually has a bit better high frequency extension than the standard (non-NrT) Sierra-1 which is a good thing. But I have not spent a ton of time with the 170, they belong to a friend not me.
I don't doubt the CBM-170SE is better than the HTM-200SE...

I just don't have any experience with it so I could only comment on the 200SE...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis