Best Banana plugs and type for the money? Please read and kindly advise

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Oddly enough, I cannot find any information regarding what type of terminals the Monitor Audio GX series have, and if they will accept the locking bananas and/or spades, and if so, what size? I have been communicating with BJC, and they cannot guarantee that the speakers will accept their locking bananas, and if the surrounds will accept spades or not. BJC mentioned that in order for their spades to fit, the terminals need to be 1/4" diameter or less.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
99.9 percent are the same siz...shouldnt be an issue

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The binding posts in my speakers are the odd ones, the locking plugs are actually too small to stay in correctly so they break when tightened up. Every other speaker I've owned has not had a problem fitting most banana plugs. Spades are a different story, some spades may be too large and others too small. Can't tell from that pic if they will fit, which is why I said you should probably just go bare wire on the surrounds. That should work no matter what.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Garcia, for some reason, I cannot "bear" the thought of going bare wire, even if it makes no difference:) Purely psychological, I know:) Can one of you pro's verify for me with certainty regarding the BJC banana's fitting the Monitor Audio GX line and the spades fitting the surrounds? I imagine there is no issue with the bananas fitting the Emotiva XPA-5. By past experience, if this is not confirmed, I will fall within the .001% category with issues, LOL:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, I understand. I ended up modifying some spades for my dad's speakers (original Energy Take 5) because the binding posts are not standard 5 way and don't accept bananas.

Unfortunately, without having both in hand, it will be impossible to say if those specific spades will or won't fit. Of the two, I'd go with the first ones as they are a little less expensive and they can most likely be bent a little bit if needed to change the angle. You'll need some shrink wrap with those though because it looks like they don't come with sleeves. The other ones are two piece and likely won't bend.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
[/COLOR]Garcia, from what one member posted on another Forum regarding the width of the MA binding posts, I sent a message to BJC regarding their spades (need 2 pairs only, as I will use 16 BJC locking bananas), and this is what BJC said: "Our spades are ¼” max width(which is actually 6.3mm). Your posts are 7.5mm (which is just under 5/16”)…Since your posts are larger than our spades, they will not fit."

The Nakamichi ones that you recommend do not specify the size of posts that it will fit? Do you know, or can you recommend some that you know for a fact will fit? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A

addictaudio

Audioholic
They ARE cheap. They will be behind the speaker close to the wall so you won't see them :) You said ones that I thought would work, and in fact, I think you want something without a large barrel sleeve in this case so they don't stick out too far.

These Sewells say they have a .33" gap (but a bit expensive for what they are, for 2 pr): Amazon.com: Sewell Spade Connector, Full Copper, 45 Degree Angle, 2 Pair: Electronics

I like those:) I think that I will get those spades. So they will work with the afformentioned sizing terminals (7.5mm, which is just under 5/16”) AND wires that I am using? For the remainder, I will get 8 pairs of the BJC locking bananas.

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
5/16 = .3125. 7.5mm = .295. If these have a .33 gap, they will fit for sure.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
5/16 = .3125. 7.5mm = .295. If these have a .33 gap, they will fit for sure.
Thanks for the confirmation. I will order two pairs of those for use only with the surrounds, and then 8 pairs for the center and towers and to connect with the Emotiva XPA-5. Thanks for all of the help. I would love if you could come down here to dial in the system for me after the "installers" complete their "work":) Please let me know if we cannot work something out. How about a famous Brazilian BBQ and drinks?:)

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
So did you ever get the connectors changed? Looking at how you described what was originally on the wires it sounded to me like they put shrink tubing on but forgot to go back and apply heat to shrink it onto the bannana plugs and wires to seal the connection. I'm considering getting those Nakamichi plugs for my speaker wiring. Just currious...
Thanks,
Daren

MrAcoustat

Audiophyte
Hello to all. I am in the process of having an entire HT installed. The installer ran Audioquest Type 2 in wall cables. Each in-wall cable has two negative and two positive cables, so one cable could potentially be used to power two separate speakers. What they are doing in order to increase the thickness (theoretically the gauge of the wire), is interwinding the two negatives together and also the two positives together; in essence to power one speaker. Not sure if this is making sense? My question is that they welded a banana plug from Audioquest to the end of the cable. The banana is bare and then the rubber boot slides over it. It basically looks like crap. As the boot is loose, it keeps sliding back and forth. I want to get different boots, and ones that the actual banana plug and boot are one integral part. Which ones do you all recommend? Also, they soldered the banana plugs to the wires. Is this the best solution, or is it better to get the locking banana plugs or the crimping type? Please advise. Thank you.
http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/products.html

If you are willing to pay the price this is one of the best on the market to date.

WBT - 0600 ( $220.00 SET OF 4 )

Last edited:
A

azim5000

Audiophyte
Tbh i doubt 'the best banana plugs' exists
Just avoid chinese cheap stuff made out of tin
Other than that it's daft spending a fortune..
Soldering ..imo..would be the pro way to do it

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've never seen a benefit to soldering banana connectors.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you discount the gold plating and fancy knurled grip, with the 4/4 split on the blades, these remind me of some Radio Shack plugs I picked up about ten years ago for a heckuva lot less. When they became loose, which they did once a few years go, inserting the blade of a knife in the "X" to separate/expand the four quarters tightened them right up and I again had a nice, solid connection.

WBT-USA

If you are willing to pay the price this is one of the best on the market to date.

WBT - 0600 ( $220.00 SET OF 4 )

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis