Best AMP or AMP/Processor or ALL IN ONE set up for Focal Electra

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Method
I have to agree with Bob. Also add Bryston and Cinepro to your list and you'll never have to look back. You need high quality componets, don't waste your money on nothing less. Don't even think about an AVR.
http://www.cinepro.com/Specsheets/Mk5-SeGoldCellSheet300DPI.pdf
Good one Walter, how could I forget Bryston. I know why; because I was mainly thinking American, instead of looking into my own backyard (Canadian). :)

"Cinepro", Yo baby, 2,000 miles per hour. :D Lot's of trust.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
If going to power amps, I like to recommend quality pro amps.

Yamaha P2500S or P3500S are superb amplifiers. Top notch build and performance. No fan noise to deal with. The great price is hard to ignore for this kind of performance. The P2500S retails for around $400. 250x2 into 8 ohm, 20Hz-20,000Hz, or 310 x 2 into 4 Ohms, 20Hz-20,000 Hz. The PS3500S adds about 100 watts a channel over the P2500S. More powerful versions are available, up to almost 1,000 watts/channel(P7000S). If using unbalanced pre-amp, you should use a converter to up the voltage to suitable level. Samson S-Convert is a low cost in line converter suitable for the job.

-Chris

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Yahooouuu, Yamaha power amps.

^ Now you're talking Chris. Plus it is an exceptional value. So, I'm all in with you on this one. Heck, it cost less money than that Yamaha RX-V2700. :)

That's exactly what the great Isiberian was recommending from his previous post. I'll go right back to that post, and give him a Thanks for that. :)

Now, I'll say that we are ready to face the OP when he'll show back his face. ;)

With your help Chris, and also Walter, and Isiberian too, I think that we make a dynamite team. :)
I feel great, I feel better than James Brown. :D

Bob

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
No need for the name calling in the PM sent to me Lordoftherings. I don't come around much because newbies take too much offense when their opinion is challenged. Not out to give you a bad rep dude. You are doing a good enough job of that yourself. Don't worry about me crashing your little team, I will help myself right back off of here.

To the OP. Please don't let foolish people stick their hands in your wallet. Be patient. You are well on your way to audio bliss.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Method

Just for the record, I use a RX-Z7 as a pre-amp with an Adcom 7605 under a 4ohm load. I have no complaints about my units AB video processing as well.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Now, I'll say that we are ready to face the OP when he'll show back his face. ;)

Bob
How is the OP going to be faced. All that have posted have given sound advice. Ive sold and insatlled this combo of power and speakers without issues. If the op wants more power .I stand by my post of 250w or more based on the 2700 specs. Daves post sums it up:)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
How is the OP going to be faced. All that have posted have given sound advice. Ive sold and insatlled this combo of power and speakers without issues. If the op wants more power .I stand by my post of 250w or more based on the 2700 specs. Daves post sums it up:)
Dave's post #6? Yeah, that's fine by me, that's a great post that says it all, I agree.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Cool...thanks.:cool:

I hate to point out that that's pretty much the same thing WmAx said in his first reply.:p
Sorry, I'm not thinking straight right now, I'm quite sick, infections and flu.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I already know that Method, our OP, is a smart guy, and what he'll have to say may surprised a few of us.

At this point, I'm staying on the sideline, and patiently wait for his return.
I won't commit myself any further, till I got some more feedback from my OP.

Bob

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I already know that Method, our OP, is a smart guy, and what he'll have to say may surprised a few of us.

At this point, I'm staying on the sideline, and patiently wait for his return.
I won't commit myself any further, till I got some more feedback from my OP.

Bob
Im sure you meant "the" op:)

Last edited by a moderator:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I'm not laying claim to any poster, except the monkey....everybody loves a monkey. I'm gonna slow down my post count is getting up there:D

M

Method

Junior Audioholic
Appreciate all the feedback.

I am not even running wth the Electra surrounds (or any, for that matter) right now.

I would likely spend up to ~$5k (but I OBVIOUSLY don't want to spend just to spend) on a processor and/or amp. LOTR, I appreciate the list of companies you threw out there earlier. I am familiar with a number of them, in name only (and not in experience listening to - save for Krell).

Gotta somehow narrow it down, which is tough because I don't have the time nor resources (as far as dealers) around me to sit and go test drive everything.

Figured I would go 3 channel amp as opposed to 2 ch though.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Appreciate all the feedback.

I am not even running wth the Electra surrounds (or any, for that matter) right now.

I would likely spend up to ~$5k (but I OBVIOUSLY don't want to spend just to spend) on a processor and/or amp. LOTR, I appreciate the list of companies you threw out there earlier. I am familiar with a number of them, in name only (and not in experience listening to - save for Krell).

Gotta somehow narrow it down, which is tough because I don't have the time nor resources (as far as dealers) around me to sit and go test drive everything.

Figured I would go 3 channel amp as opposed to 2 ch though.
The Yamaha professional amps, series P**00S (P2500s, P3500S, P500S, P7000S), offer incredible performance for the price and are built superior to most audiophile amps that cost much more. These Yamaha amps will only give you two things: years of reliable performance and flawless/transparent high power amplification.

You can not gain any additional performance over these amplifiers by spending more money; only get 'prettier' cosmetics. And the rack mount wings you see in photos of the amps remove easily from the Yamaha amps for use in regular consumer audio racks. My main system was engineered to provide the highest possible level of performance, and I have no problem using the Yamaha pro amps specified.

-Chris

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
^ Hey Method, Chris here just above ^ has a good alternative, which is cheaper (less expensive) than the ones that I suggested you in my PM.

* But it does not mean it's bettter than the very #1 suggestion I made to you. :D
Remember that Bryston 6B-SST 3-channel Power Amp, with the 4B-SST (2-ch.).
And my #1 Pre/Pro, the Anthem Statement D2v/ARC1 with the Gennum VXP video processor (Balanced dual differential digital circuitry).

Also, you remember my value alternatives (much less expensive ones).

*** Well, now you asking about a 3-channel power amp. From a good value standpoint? About Chris, just above, with it's excellent recommendation with these lovely Yamaha Amps. For the price, get 6 of them in Bridge mode. :)
Or only three, if you want just a 3-channel amp (Bridge mode again).

There is also the Emotiva XPA-3 (only $539, when on sale), it's a 3-channel power amp
with 200 watts a side (300 into 4 ohms). Regular price is $599.
And you can even buy this one right here at Audioholics. :)
* Here's a look at it: http://www.emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm

Anyway, don't be shy to give us some numbers and coordinates.
We're better than Pros. ;) We're the X-Pros (you know, like X-Men). :)

Cheers,

Bob

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I will have to disagree about the Bryston being better in terms of performance compared to the Yamaha pro-amps. There would be no significant audible gain from replacing the Yamaha RX-V2700 with a high end or esoteric preamp either. I've had high end preamps, and I've had countless receivers. I can tell you that my RX-V3800 (similar to the RX-V2700) sounds every bit as good as the B&K preamp I had. Audibly I can't tell a difference between the two. I like the interface of the Yamaha much better, as Yamaha's interface is far more sophisticated and logically laid out.

High end and esoteric gear is good for one thing, making you feel real special about how expensive it was and/or looks. It has no distinct advantage in terms of audio reproduction.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
^ I never say better. :D

Anyway Seth=L, each person has their own favorites, or based on their own listening experiences with their own set of ears, their own speakers, their own rooms, their own set of electronics, their own biases, their own readings, their own set of priorities, and a whole lot more of their own stuff.

Of course, you can disagree, that's what makes these threads more interesting.
Can you imagine if everyone would agree with everything that's been said???
Boring life indeed, that's why I go to the Boring thread these days, so I can let go some of my less than satisfying experiences. But even that boring thread is boring too!!! I know, I just came back from it, where I just got two bad rep for being too boring!!!

WTF is next. :eek:

Bryston is unique, long standing record with the logest warranty ever in the history of high end audio.
Plus, their products are superbly well built, strong, and as their performance too.
I cannot recommend a better product than Bryston amps, period.

Yamaha, I love too, but it is a very different product (receivers).

As for their Pro amps, they are excellent too, they are used in many venues where professional audio people use them and enjoy them.

Money is a relative commodity.
For the majority of people here at Audioholics, myself included (as of now, not so much years ago, when money was flowing up my ears), we are consciencious buyers and we give a big importance to value in a financial sense.
What really counts is what is the minimum money a product will cost you and that can competes with the top of the line.
If you really know that product, please tell me, I'm dying to buy it. But your telling me won't suffice. I'll need much more than that, because I'm smart, I'm knowledgeable up to a certain point, I'm careful with money, I have a pretty good idea of what good sound is (but quite frankly, I don't have a single clue of high end experience listening from the most true high end speakers, electronics, cables, interconnects and all that is related, with the best listening rooms and you name it; in that sense, I know NADA, ZIP), and I like my meals well cooked, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, all this simply to say that we all stand by our products and beliefs.
That's what the World is all about; religions, wars, United nations, Peace groups, mass protests, assemblies of prophets, scientist's meetings, rulers of the underground, elected (legitimately or fraudulently) politicians, presidents, dictators, kings, queens, princes, princesses, sultans, and the lower classes, the defavored, the poor, the demunish, the ones without water or food or both, the ones that die every single day from hate, famine, approvishment, cataclysts, nature revolts, injustice, inbalance of finances, victims of the greed, lack of educaton, ignorance and you name it.

Again, you may disagree, but from what I know, you are right as much as I am.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
^ Hey Method, Chris here just above ^ has a good alternative, which is cheaper (less expensive) than the ones that I suggested you in my PM.

* But it does not mean it's bettter than the very #1 suggestion I made to you. :D
Remember that Bryston 6B-SST 3-channel Power Amp, with the 4B-SST (2-ch.).
And my #1 Pre/Pro, the Anthem Statement D2v/ARC1 with the Gennum VXP video processor (Balanced dual differential digital circuitry).

Also, you remember my value alternatives (much less expensive ones).

*** Well, now you asking about a 3-channel power amp. From a good value standpoint? About Chris, just above, with it's excellent recommendation with these lovely Yamaha Amps. For the price, get 6 of them in Bridge mode. :)
Or only three, if you want just a 3-channel amp (Bridge mode again).

There is also the Emotiva XPA-3 (only $539, when on sale), it's a 3-channel power amp
with 200 watts a side (300 into 4 ohms). Regular price is $599.
And you can even buy this one right here at Audioholics. :)
* Here's a look at it: http://www.emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm

Anyway, don't be shy to give us some numbers and coordinates.
We're better than Pros. ;) We're the X-Pros (you know, like X-Men). :)

Cheers,

Bob
You are not going to get better sound quality than the Yamaha amps and other gear I recommended will produce. This gear is suitable for ANY level/quality of speaker system, even YG Acoustics.

You are also talking to a former audiophile; so don't think I don't know the game.

-Chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis