Best AMP or AMP/Processor or ALL IN ONE set up for Focal Electra

M

Method

Junior Audioholic
Give it to me straight. Not looking to mortgage the farm, but have some money to spend here.

Unfortunately, I had purchased a Yamaha RX2700 before I got the Focal Electra 1027s and the Electra CC Be. Also have the JL F113 Sub. dude told me there is no way the Yamaha Receiver is powering the speakers, so it's something I want to address.

Appreciate the input.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The yama will power them. If you want more add something look into the 250w range.and keep the yama as a pre Outlaw, emotiva, parasound ect.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Give it to me straight. Not looking to mortgage the farm, but have some money to spend here.

Unfortunately, I had purchased a Yamaha RX2700 before I got the Focal Electra 1027s and the Electra CC Be. Also have the JL F113 Sub. dude told me there is no way the Yamaha Receiver is powering the speakers, so it's something I want to address.

Appreciate the input.
I have to disagree. But if you want better amps then look at Yamaha pro amps. They are probably the best amps for home theater.

If you want something that looks great then get the emotiva amp.

JL Audio makes great subs. Good find.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I also agree that the Yamaha will be just fine, it's a very nice receiver.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
First off, sweet speakers. I love the Electras. I also agree that the Yamaha will work just fine with these speakers. The only potential issue is the minimum impedence of 3.5 Ohms. That has the potential to tax the amplifier if your room is very large and you listen very loud. In most circumstances with normal volume levels, this will be a non-issue.

Use the Yamaha for a while, then if you find that the speakers begin to sound harsh or distressed at higher volumes, it may be time to start looking for a separate amp to drive them. If they still sound good to you, you are all set, no problem.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
High-End speakers require High-End Amp & Preamp.

Your speakers are High End speakers, they need High End Amplification with a High End Preamp.

Look at Krell, McIntosh, Anthem, Classe, Meridian, Lexicon, Simaudio, Theta Digital and Parasound Halo brands for a good match with your Focal Electra 1027Be speakers.
Same for your CC1000Be center channel and the complement of your JL F113 subwoofer.

How more straight than this do you need? ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Your speakers are High End speakers, they need High End Amplification with a High End Preamp.

Look at Krell, McIntosh, Anthem, Classe, Meridian, Lexicon, Simaudio, Theta Digital and Parasound Halo brands for a good match with your Focal Electra 1027Be speakers.
Same for your CC1000Be center channel and the complement of your JL F113 subwoofer.

How more straight than this do you need? ;)

Cheers,

Bob
I bet they love you at your local audio shop.:rolleyes:

The Yamaha is up to the task.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Method
How much do you want to spend? You need some major equipment to get the most out of them speakers. Receiver is not going to cut it. You'll have a very boring sound.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, that Yamaha is HIGH END in performance. These people just like to see people spend money for no good reason. The ONLY issue is if the Yamaha can't deal with the minimum impedance of the speakers - but that's easy to find out - use the Yamaha and if it does not produce audible distortion at moderate to higher volumes, then you are fine. Even if you need an external amp, you can still use the Yamaha as a pre-amp. While from what I understand, the RX-V2600 was the best in terms of pre-amp and amplification(Yamaha apparently downgraded some things when they went to the 2700), the RX-2700 should still be fine.

-Chris

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Of course the Yamaha RX-V2700 will drive his speakers, but will it drive them by providing them with all the power and quality to give them their full justice?
I never said that the Yamaha RX-V2700 was not a good receiver.
It is in fact a great receiver for the right speakers.
It is a top notch receiver of excellent caliber; but not for speakers that list for $7,500 a pair (that's just for the two front ones).
His entire set of Focal speakers (if its a 7.1-channel setup) plus subwoofer is worth over $20,000, and like Dave previously mentioned, his two front mains dip below 3.5 ohms, not counting his other speakers.

Here's the guts of the Yamaha RX-V2700 AV-Receiver, and you tell me if it's enough to drive a more than $20,000 speaker's set.

* http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2007/Yamaha_RX-V2700_01.shtml
-> There are six pages.

I know, it's a Dutch review; but I'm not giving you this link to read, but to show you what is inside that simple receiver, to drive a speaker system worth over $20,000. Then, you tell me if it's what you want to drive your speakers that are worth that much, with low impedance dips and high quality x-over electronics, plus high performance drivers with exceptional power motors and exquisite materials from the drivers.

And I absolutely agree with Walter; in this case, a simple receiver won't cut it.

Plus, Method, our OP ask us to give him straight. You guys are not giving him straight.

Sincerely,

Bob

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Cost of speakers has nothing to do with it. Sorry. No cigar.

As far as 'giving it straight'... who gives the information in a more honest/objective manner than me?

Those speakers will cause far more distortion and mangling of the signal than that receiver will ever cause. And actually... looking at that pic.. I see a rather massive transformer... and the 2600 tested out at almost 300 watts/channel into 4 Ohms (I don't know what the 2700 will output). The 2600 also tested superbly, so far as the pre-amp section. Again, I don't know exactly how the 2700's pre-amp section tests... but I would presume it's of at least similar quality.

Since you like what the inside looks like, go look at the innards of some pro-amp like the Ep2500, which are unquestionably high power muscle that can handle any load you throw at it with ease..... oh.... but then you would probably argue another point (since such amp has such substantial innards)..... so what would be the argument against a high quality pro amp?

As I said, the only issue is if the 2700 can't take the load impedance of the speakers... and that is easy enough to figure out....

I have speakers of far higher performance, and I use a RX-V2600 as the pre-amp.....(I used to use all high end hardware btw, but no more - I found actual higher performance for less money in other types of amp and pre-amp hardware of lower cost) so I really don't see the issue here...

I don't care if you have $100k/pair speakers; the speakers are still going to produce far more distortion of that signal than a non-audiophile amplifier......

-Chris

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Actually, that Yamaha is HIGH END in performance. These people just like to see people spend money for no good reason. The ONLY issue is if the Yamaha can't deal with the minimum impedance of the speakers - but that's easy to find out - use the Yamaha and if it does not produce audible distortion at moderate to higher volumes, then you are fine. Even if you need an external amp, you can still use the Yamaha as a pre-amp. While from what I understand, the RX-V2600 was the best in terms of pre-amp and amplification(Yamaha apparently downgraded some things when they went to the 2700), the RX-2700 should still be fine.

-Chris
Hi Chris,

The Yamaha RX-V2700 use the Anchor Bay Technologies ABT-1010 for video processor, not a very good one to use in a HIGH END system, if you ask me.
Deinterlacing and upscaling is restricted from only 480i to 1080i/720p.

The weight of the 2700 went down from the 2600 (17 kg from 17.4 kg), by about one pound. But the 2700 uses two block capacitors rated at 18,000uF each (71V) vs. the 2600, two caps rated at 15,000uF each (71V).

Me too, I'm not sure what went downhill from the 2600, but I suspect the main AC power supply and the preamp section. Also some isolation from various circuit sections. And even perhaps the analog and digital section.
This is not what I call HIGH END performance in my book, but middle end.

Here are the guts of the Yamaha RX-V2700 predecessor, the RX-V2600:

* RX-V2600 > http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2005/yamaha_rx_v2600_1.shtml
-> There are 9 pages.

*** So you can now compare the guts from the 2600 vs. the guts from the 2700.

* RX-V2700 > http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2007/Yamaha_RX-V2700_01.shtml
-> Total of 6 pages.

See if you can find the differences. You'll certainly notice the different arrangement of the heat sinks. Also, note the main AC power section, and the different isolation from various circuits. I wish we can see better the preamp section at the front left of each receiver. Look at how full and tight is the inside box of the 2600 compared to the 2700.

Bob

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Chris, I know what you mean about cost of speakers vs. cost of receiver.
It is relative, but up to a point; and the point here, like you just said yourself, is the lack of performance into 4-ohm loads.

But, again, Method, or dear OP (I can't wait to see him popping back), ;)
is asking for power, not for pre-power, as in AMPLIFICATION.

Bob

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Chris,

The Yamaha RX-V2700 use the Anchor Bay Technologies ABT-1010 for video processor, not a very good one to use in a HIGH END system, if you ask me.
Deinterlacing and upscaling is restricted from only 480i to 1080i/720p.

The weight of the 2700 went down from the 2600 (17 kg from 17.4 kg), by about one pound. But the 2700 uses two block capacitors rated at 18,000uF each (71V) vs. the 2600, two caps rated at 15,000uF each (71V).

Me too, I'm not sure what went downhill from the 2600, but I suspect the main AC power supply and the preamp section. Also some isolation from various circuit sections. And even perhaps the analog and digital section.
This is not what I call HIGH END performance in my book, but middle end.

Here are the guts of the Yamaha RX-V2700 predecessor, the RX-V2600:

* RX-V2600 > http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2005/yamaha_rx_v2600_1.shtml
-> There are 9 pages.

*** So you can now compare the guts from the 2600 vs. the guts from the 2700.

* RX-V2700 > http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2007/Yamaha_RX-V2700_01.shtml
-> Total of 6 pages.

See if you can find the differences. You'll certainly notice the different arrangement of the heat sinks. Also, note the main AC power section, and the different isolation from various circuits. I wish we can see better the preamp section at the front left of each receiver. Look at how full and tight is the inside box of the 2600 compared to the 2700.

Bob
I'm sorry, this thread is about audio quality; video processing is something different entirely and should not be the subject of this post. So it is irrelevant if the video processing is 'high end', 'middle 'end' or 'basic'.

As for the known audio differences, the only one I know about is that the 2600 outputs 4+ VRMS from the unbalanced pre-amp jacks with no problem, but Gene(admin and equipment tester here) stated later model(s) can't output nearly as much from the pre-outs without clipping. But generally speaking, you don't need 4V from your pre-outs to drive most external amps. I know the 2600 used extensive isolation to gain incredible low noise levels from all sections; I have no idea if the 2700 continued with this practice. But if the user does not hear noise/hiss, then it's a non-issue.

-Chris

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I respect everyone's opinion here.

So the person that does not respect mine, and have to make me pay for my own personal opinion, is in my book a very immature person.
To disrespect is to discredit yourself.

So, here's a reason more why I don't believe in the chicklets system.
It's a false indicator of what a person is truly.

This is a Forum where we are free to express our opinions, and it is a great right we have, because it brings informative and passionate discussions.
So, to give a bad rep, for someone's opinion is stepping backward in your own arrogance and stubborness. If you cannot respect others, then don't come here to dismantle their freedom of expression.

And you know very well who you are (I PM you). [He did not signed it]

Everyone else here, I do enjoy greatly. It takes only one person to spoil the fun.

Sorry for the off topic, I just had to take it out of my system. I already PM that one individual.
Zzzz...

Bob

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I have asked the ADMIN to remove the stupid rep system in the past, as have many long standing members; the request was made in the feed back forum some time back. It is a ridiculous system; useless, unless the only point is to be a 'popularity contest'.

-Chris

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I have asked the ADMIN to remove the stupid rep system in the past, as have many long standing members; the request was made in the feed back forum some time back. It is a ridiculous system; useless, unless the only point is to be a 'popularity contest'.

-Chris
I absolutely agree with you Chris. I'll give you a Thanks for that, because I do believe in rewarding the positive minds. :)

Bob

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis