Benefits of a PS3 as a general media component

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
omg guys im such an idiot, i forgot to take the caps off the toslink cable this whole time, omfg i can't beleive ME a tech savvy, hardcore long time audiophile would be so dumb, i deserve to be beaten.
How did you connect them? Jam them in with a butter knife?:eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm surprised you were able to hook up the cable with the covers still attached.
I've done it too, but as soon as the cable wouldn't go in, I realized it. I would think it wouldn't go into the either the PS3 or receiver with a cap on either.

How did you connect them? Jam them in with a butter knife?:eek:
Rubber mallet :eek:

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
actually strangely enough, they fit, the cap were small though and they looked like part of the cable and knowing i have never used an optical cable they look like a part of it. still, this is something i would expect my grandmother to do.

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
http://www.schmartz.com/category/45507241981/1/Shop-Schmartz-United-States.htm

I got the bluetooth to infrared converter here for the PS3 and my harmony remote. I notice that the PS3IR500 isn't on that site. It wasn't as expensive as the 1000 series but really does everything I want it to do.

My real problem with the PS3 for my home theater is this...

When the fan comes on, it's REALLY loud. After watching the movie for some time, it really does get super loud. You may or may not notice it, but I certainly do.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
There are several causes for the PS3 fan to sound loud, If you wish to start a thread in the gaming section so that we answer your question and come up with a solution to your issue without derailing his thread.

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
There are several causes for the PS3 fan to sound loud, If you wish to start a thread in the gaming section so that we answer your question and come up with a solution to your issue without derailing his thread.
Oh... I'm not really interested in starting a new thread about the fan noise because it's not abnormal fan sound. It's the normal sound that the fan makes that I notice. This is just information for the OP.

PS: Am I missing something?

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry I thought you were asking a question my bad:eek:. There have been instances where the fan noise have been loud and this was due to heat transfer to the heatsink was not optimal, or different manufacture for the fan assembly, it will also depend on the model of PS3 as well.

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
Sorry I thought you were asking a question my bad:eek:. There have been instances where the fan noise have been loud and this was due to heat transfer to the heatsink was not optimal, or different manufacture for the fan assembly, it will also depend on the model of PS3 as well.
No worries. It's about the same amount of fan noise I hear on other PS3's as well.

To the OP, other than this fan noise, I really like the PS3 for so much of my home theater needs. I find that the upconversion for both DVD's and the blu rays are amazing. I use it to stream the music and movies from my macbook pro. I can also copy the movies and music directly onto it. Netflix movies are beautiful and stream smoothly on it. I agree, it would be awesome if it had a program to stream some sort of online radio.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 1st gen PS3 has a much louder fan than the Slim, but the Slim still has fan noise. It gets hot, so there isn't really a way around this.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I should have been more clear, I'm not suggesting that there will be no fan noise at all just that there is different levels of noise.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
http://www.schmartz.com/category/45507241981/1/Shop-Schmartz-United-States.htm

I got the bluetooth to infrared converter here for the PS3 and my harmony remote. I notice that the PS3IR500 isn't on that site. It wasn't as expensive as the 1000 series but really does everything I want it to do.

My real problem with the PS3 for my home theater is this...

When the fan comes on, it's REALLY loud. After watching the movie for some time, it really does get super loud. You may or may not notice it, but I certainly do.
I have that IR adapter also. It works great. The only thing that sucks is that you need to plug it in to a power source.

I also take issue with the PS 3's fan noise. It's been in the 80's and 90's here lately and my PS 3 fan has been kicking into high all the time. It makes movies pretty much unwatchable. I've been using my Samsung BD player lately.

R

ronm1

Audiophyte
I also take issue with the PS 3's fan noise.
Same, borrowed one, felt that had to be working incorrectly, then picked one up and dumped it pretty quick. The fan noise drove me nuts. With movies I will accept only munching popcorn as background noise, a Pipercub or a Cessna in the room is unacceptable. With music the distraction can be even worse. Just me I guess, background noise and blackness have always been one of my pet peeves. PJ's,DLP's...etc, offlimits with me for the same reason

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
Same, borrowed one, felt that had to be working incorrectly, then picked one up and dumped it pretty quick. The fan noise drove me nuts. With movies I will accept only munching popcorn as background noise, a Pipercub or a Cessna in the room is unacceptable. With music the distraction can be even worse. Just me I guess, background noise and blackness have always been one of my pet peeves. PJ's,DLP's...etc, offlimits with me for the same reason
I guess the question is this: If the benefits of the PS3 is hindered by the noise, what are the other options. I've been really considering getting another BD player. Which one did you get and is it as good upconversion for DVD as well as Blu Ray as the PS3? I know that one time, the PS3 was the king of the picture quality but that is now old news. (Now, I'm stepping in the boundaries of thread hijacking).

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I guess the question is this: If the benefits of the PS3 is hindered by the noise, what are the other options. I've been really considering getting another BD player. Which one did you get and is it as good upconversion for DVD as well as Blu Ray as the PS3? I know that one time, the PS3 was the king of the picture quality but that is now old news. (Now, I'm stepping in the boundaries of thread hijacking).
I wouldn't want to steer you away from the PS 3 because the slim is a great player for the money that will do a lot more than just a stand alone BD player. I have the old fat PS 3 and it's noisy as hell. The new ones are supposedly quieter. I don't have one though so I couldn't tell you how much quieter the slim is.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The upscaling of DVDs isn't considered top notch, but it is better than average. Many current players that cost less than the PS3 are just as good as well though. IMO with BDs, you won't really notice the difference in PQ.

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
I wouldn't want to steer you away from the PS 3 because the slim is a great player for the money that will do a lot more than just a stand alone BD player. I have the old fat PS 3 and it's noisy as hell. The new ones are supposedly quieter. I don't have one though so I couldn't tell you how much quieter the slim is.
Well, I already have the fat PS3. I was just wondering if it would be worthwhile to get another BD player.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis