Behringer? Emotiva? What's the Diff??

Clownfish

Clownfish

Junior Audioholic
I'm trying to decide on an amp, but I'm a little confused about a few things:

1.) Behringer seems like a great buy for the A-500, but is it?

2.) What's the difference between amps? I understand power, and channels, but watt for watt, why do some cost sooooo much more? What exactly are you paying for?

3.) Emotiva seems like a good buy, is it better than a Behringer? If so, why?

I'm looking into buying an amp, and not a full A/V receiver, because I'm only going to power 2 speakers, and possibly a sub. It'll just play off the blu-ray player and with a switcher, the TV.

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance provided.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
the behringer is more of a pro audio level meaning for PA systems and something a band might use live. it is also designed more to be used in a rack so the vents and fans blow back to front. The Emotiva is more consumer level so more attention to how it looks in a living room is more important.

I'm sure the basics are the same and i'm sure someone will help explain that further than I am able to :)

mr-ben

mr-ben

Audioholic

I haven't heard one, so I'll let someone else answer this.

2.) What's the difference between amps? I understand power, and channels, but watt for watt, why do some cost sooooo much more? What exactly are you paying for?
Sound quality is usually better on more expensive amplifiers, but a pretty appearance, dealer markup, and name recognition play a large part as well.

You can directly compare warranty, customer support, price, appearance, and some statistics. Harder to compare sound quality. I know Emotiva has a 30-day return policy, but I don't know about Behringer.

I'm looking into buying an amp, and not a full A/V receiver, because I'm only going to power 2 speakers, and possibly a sub. It'll just play off the blu-ray player and with a switcher, the TV.
Amplifiers don't usually have volume control, or a remote control, or a crossover for a subwoofer. You may want to look at a stereo receiver instead of an amplifier.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
First off, just an amp will do you absolutely no good whatsoever unless you're just going to use the headphone jack from the tv and let it do the switching. Not great for sound and at that point, the amplifier is no longer you weakest link.

You'll need a receiver/processor of some kind and might as well just get one with a built in amp. What kind of speakers will you be driving?

As far as your question, I've wondered that myself many many times regarding only sound quality. Amplifiers are supposed to be completely transparent and watt for watt they should be identical. That said, they PROBABLY aren't. The sound from the behringer amps is great, but quality control seems to be an issue with the A500, Emotivas are rock solid.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
vintage equipment

Clownfish,

You have some Vintage equipment. The JBLs were 1988-1992 and were rated at up to 200 watts. JBLs used to be very good speakers so I am guessing nominal impedance of 8ohms and average sensitivity ( 90dB).

If the Kenwood receiver (1992)still works I would use it, it is rated at 130 watts per channel (in stereo only mode, otherwise 80 watts per channel) and should easily drive the speakers. However it only has RCA left/right analog input and no sub or LFE out.

Here is an online copy of your Kenwood manual
http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/KRV8540.pdf

If you decide to go with a power amp only, then both Emotiva or Behringer are good amps. And I respectfully disagree that you will be able to hear any difference in sound between the two. Price is typically contruction and quality, not difference in sound. The speaker is what creates sound; different speaker quality can be heard.

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance provided.

I can not speak about the two models mentioned, but in most cases:

The pro-amps are built to be moved from place to place often. They can take more abuse (like dropping it) than a commercial amp could.
Pro-amps are made to play loud for many hours with little problems, but may not have the same sound quality of a commercial amp. (This is a generalization though. Not always true for all models and brands)
Pro-amps have loud fans most of the time.

Question: How will you control the volume without a processor or receiver?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have an A500 amp that I need to test out actually.

They are alleged to have a distortion issue with a single note 3khz I believe.

The best pro amps for home use I think are the yamaha P2500

Now if you want to just run a stereo setup from the tv. I suggest you pickup a cheap used stereo receiver and run your speakers off that. You'll need a processor to control the volume and other things. And rarely does a person need a pro-amp for home use. Unless they are building their own speakers.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
And rarely does a person need a pro-amp for home use. Unless they are building their own speakers.
I agree with your post until here...

Explain why a DIY design would be so much more inefficient or capable of so much more power handling than a commercial loudspeaker requiring it to be driven by a pro-amp...

I see no correlation whatsoever.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with your post until here...

Explain why a DIY design would be so much more inefficient or capable of so much more power handling than a commercial loudspeaker requiring it to be driven by a pro-amp...

I see no correlation whatsoever.
Active crossovers(DCX2496) require an external amp that has good XLR inputs.

Many DIY'ers incorporate active crossovers in their system. I know I'll be using one eventually.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Active crossovers(DCX2496) require an external amp that has good XLR inputs.

Many DIY'ers incorporate active crossovers in their system. I know I'll be using one eventually.
That makes a little sense, I hope you understand why I was asking for the explanation.

Even still, it would depend if you were using an active xover for the system calibration or a fully active setup with no passive xovers at all. The difference in DIY or commercial has no bearing on type of amplification used...

Thread officially derailed...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd pass on the A500 simply due to the number of reported problems with them. At least 2 members here have had issues with theirs and for a fairly small community of us, that is a lot. If you want Behringer, move up the line to the EuroPower.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
I agree the EP2500 only costs a little more

I'd pass on the A500 simply due to the number of reported problems with them. At least 2 members here have had issues with theirs and for a fairly small community of us, that is a lot. If you want Behringer, move up the line to the EuroPower.
I agree the EP2500 only costs a little more and provides twice the power 450watts per channel into 8 ohms. It only costs $284.95 with free shipping from B&H Photo) (I have used them quite a bit) the only downside is that it is rack mount.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/280617-REG/Behringer_EP2500_EP2500_2_Channel_Rackmount.html

Good Luck!

NJ

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
I have an A500 amp that I need to test out actually.

They are alleged to have a distortion issue with a single note 3khz I believe.

The best pro amps for home use I think are the yamaha P2500

Now if you want to just run a stereo setup from the tv. I suggest you pickup a cheap used stereo receiver and run your speakers off that. You'll need a processor to control the volume and other things. And rarely does a person need a pro-amp for home use. Unless they are building their own speakers.
That is a bummer if it has a distortion issue a 3k Htz. An APC noise filter will take care of it or you can biuld a simple C-Notch filter or you can buy one http://www.idiompress.com/scaf-1.html. An equalizer will also do the trick and give you a lot more flexability.http://www.idiompress.com/scaf-1.html

From an old, old friend of yours, Isiberian, who once gave you advice long,long ago like the start of a story ;)

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That makes a little sense, I hope you understand why I was asking for the explanation.

Even still, it would depend if you were using an active xover for the system calibration or a fully active setup with no passive xovers at all. The difference in DIY or commercial has no bearing on type of amplification used...

Thread officially derailed...
reasons why I use pro-amps:

1. Most active crossovers have XLR outputs and pro-audio amps handle that format best. (to use a non-pro amp you have to attenuate the signal and use RCA's)

2.The cost of a pro-amp is less than that of any consumer amp I've seen.

3. The same pro-amp generally has more power, durability, stability over it's consumer equivalent.

4. I've gone insane in this hobby(sane people should refrain from following my course)

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I think this is the discussion the OP wanted, but I could be wrong. Still your comment warrants a response.

In the case you mention I would argue for pro-amps except in cases where WAF is most important. My reasons

1. Most active crossovers have XLR outputs and pro-audio amps handle that format best. (to use a non-pro amp you have to attenuate the signal and use RCA's)

2.The cost of a pro-amp is less than that of any consumer amp I've seen.

3. The same pro-amp generally has more power, durability, stability over it's consumer equivalent.

Either way OP get a used stereo receiver for cheap and put the rest in your speakers.
I get all that, I just understand why/how DIY would be different from Commercial.. Its not.. Lots of guys here have a dcx and Commercial speakers..

That was my original question to your original statement of DIY'ers needing pro amps. Has nothing to do with DIY or not...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That is a bummer if it has a distortion issue a 3k Htz. An APC noise filter will take care of it or you can biuld a simple C-Notch filter or you can buy one http://www.idiompress.com/scaf-1.html. An equalizer will also do the trick and give you a lot more flexability.http://www.idiompress.com/scaf-1.html

From an old, old friend of yours, Isiberian, who once gave you advice long,long ago like the start of a story ;)
So you're not LOTR you're the guy who got me addicted. :mad:
:D good to have you back then.

Clownfish

Clownfish

Junior Audioholic
WOW, THANKS FOR ALL OF THE REPLYS, EVERYONE!

It'll take me to the next day to thak everyone.

I've decided to skip the A/V receiver, and use the Blu-ray remote for volume, and hookups, but I'll need a switcher.

Here is the link explaining what I have, and why I want to do it that way...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58605

There seems to be some debate on amps, and why consumer amps cost sooo much more than pro amps. Well, this is where my confusion is also...:confused:

If I spent less on an amp, I will be able to spend more on speakers, and aren't these more important, anyhoo?? isn't a watt of power a watt of power?

About 2k is my total budget, per the spouse. I'm trying to make my dollars count, and spend wisely.

mr-ben

mr-ben

Audioholic
Your BR player has fixed-level outputs. If you hook an amp directly to it, you will blow out your speakers. You need volume control.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Your BR player has fixed-level outputs. If you hook an amp directly to it, you will blow out your speakers. You need volume control.
Not necessarily, but you won't have any control of your volume without getting up and manually tweaking all the gains. That is just stupid IMO.

Get a receiver or a pre-pro of some kind. I suggest a receivers with pre-outs like an Onkyo 705. Use that as a pre-pro for your system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis