Behringer? Emotiva? What's the Diff??

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
Having to buy more stuff to handle a defect in a new piece of gear makes NO sense whatsoever. Just get an amp that is made for the right application the first time around, which would be an amp made for a HT setting not a Pro setting.

Yes it will cost more money, but in the end you would probably end up spending just as much trying to fix the defects in a pro amp that if used in the right setting no one in a band has to worry about.

That is a bummer if it has a distortion issue a 3k Htz. An APC noise filter will take care of it or you can biuld a simple C-Notch filter or you can buy one http://www.idiompress.com/scaf-1.html. An equalizer will also do the trick and give you a lot more flexability.http://www.idiompress.com/scaf-1.html

From an old, old friend of yours, Isiberian, who once gave you advice long,long ago like the start of a story ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Your BR player has fixed-level outputs. If you hook an amp directly to it, you will blow out your speakers. You need volume control.
If the amp has volume controls, then it's okay.

For example, I have an AudioSource amp in my living room with the DVD player hooked directly into it. Since this amp has 2 volume knobs, I can change the volume manually for each of the 2 channels.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To me, the biggest factor will be the aesthetics.

Can you live with the looks of these pro-style amps along with your other HT gears?

Some people hide their amps in cabinets or closets, so aesthetics don't matter.:D

Pro-style amps:
Advantage: low cost, more power
Disadvantage: bad looks.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Can you live with the looks of these pro-style amps along with your other HT gears?

Some people hide their amps in cabinets or closets, so aesthetics don't matter.:D

Pro-style amps:
Everyone has their own opinion on looks, but I love the look of a pro-amp in my rack. :D

Clownfish

Clownfish

Junior Audioholic

Pro-style amps:

HMMMMMMMMMMMM.

If it's THAT fugly, I'll hang a picture on it !

How pretty it is isn't a real factor. My friends and family believe that Bose is the best, so really I don't care a crap what they think, or if they are impressed.

I care if I like it, it's decent equipment, can handle any speakers I throw at it, and manage the heavy loads, without clipping, with some headroom to spare. Remember here folks, I like very loud music.

Can I use my old, vintage Kenwood for volume control, with a pro sub?

I just never realized having to put a KNOB in the system would be such a logistical PITA.

Volume control knob, that is.

...And thanks to everyone who has posted, trying to help out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
HMMMMMMMMMMMM.

If it's THAT fugly, I'll hang a picture on it !

How pretty it is isn't a real factor. My friends and family believe that Bose is the best, so really I don't care a crap what they think, or if they are impressed.

I care if I like it, it's decent equipment, can handle any speakers I throw at it, and manage the heavy loads, without clipping, with some headroom to spare. Remember here folks, I like very loud music.

Can I use my old, vintage Kenwood for volume control, with a pro sub?

I just never realized having to put a KNOB in the system would be such a logistical PITA.

Volume control knob, that is.

...And thanks to everyone who has posted, trying to help out.

In that case, I would get the Behringer EP4000 amps.:D

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHEP4000

Hard to beat that 1,400 watts x 2 ch into 4 ohms!:D

jinjuku

jinjuku

What I would like to hear is a shoot out of something like a B&K/Adcom/Rotel/Emotiva/ vs pro-amp (Behringer/Crestron/Crown/Yamaha etc...). I have compared a NAD 272 to the A500 and preferred the NAD. But did I prefer it 3 X the price of the A500 (especially for HT duty)? No.

I have an A500 and it has done fine driving a center channel. First thing I did was plug the amp in without any source connected and turned the volume up all the way and there was no audible sound. Usually a good indicator.

The EP2500 is nice but there is a fan. The A500 is passively cooled and it has more than enough oomph for a L/R or Center.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/616122-REG/Behringer_EP4000_Europower_EP4000_Professional_Stereo.html#specifications

EP2500 vs EP4000
$285 vs $350
450W vs 750W

For only $65 more, I would rather get 750W x 2 ch @ 8 ohms.
they are the exact same amplifier. This has been demonstrated and proven. We even had a thread on it.

Don't waste your $65.

FYI I hooked up my A500 today. It runs just fine.:D

You can control the volume by turning the gain controls up and down. It looks beautiful to me. I'm in love with it. It's so beautiful :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
they are the exact same amplifier. This has been demonstrated and proven. We even had a thread on it.
So both of them produce the same 450 watts per Ch into 8 ohms?

I'm sure you can't hear the difference between 450W and 750W, but they are not exactly the same thing.:D

One is 750W and the other is 450W.:D

Just like you can't hear the difference between 200W and 400W, but they are not exactly the same thing.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm sure you can't hear the difference between 450W and 750W, but they are not exactly the same thing.:D

Just like you can't hear the difference between 200W and 400W, but they are not exactly the same thing.
Behringer is playing a #'s game with how they are measuring the amp.

majorloser

majorloser

I've had seven (7) A500's running for a few years in my theater, all bridged. So far no problems.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22943

I want to replace them in the next year with Emotiva amps. I want at least a pair of XPA-1's and maybe a XPA-5. But they are introducing a new amp I got a chance to see last week, the XPR-7. The thing will be a beast with 400 wpc. It's also meant to run best on 220V if you have it available.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=amps&action=display&thread=6457

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the new Behringer EPX might be the same amp specs wise ... but it looks a whole lot better. :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

I imagine the real differences are the amount of work Emotiva put in the gain/bias stage for starters

Behringer is despised by most their peers because most of their product is a copy cat design of some other engineering firm that actually had to put $$ into R&D.

I am not aware of any Behringer product that isn't a clone of some other product. Again, I would like to hear something like the A500 compared to the UPA-2.

Clownfish

Clownfish

Junior Audioholic
In that case, I would get the Behringer EP4000 amps.:D

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHEP4000

Hard to beat that 1,400 watts x 2 ch into 4 ohms!:D

I don't think any of them look bad.

Maybe bada$$, but not ugly. :D

Can I use my old Kenwood for volume control?

I think my new blu-ray player will work for volume control, but if it doesn't, I'd like to have Plan B. The remote still works too!

Quoted from Adam, in Beginners' Forum:

"For two speakers and a sub, that player has what you need. You could use the two-channel analog outputs in a system that uses the crossover in the sub to filter the bass frequencies from the main speakers, and you could use the multichannel analog outputs in 2.1 mode (explained on page 30 of the owner's manual) if you want the blu-ray player to do the bass management. If it were me, I'd go the 2.1 route"

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

They are the same inside and out. As was mentioned they used a different methodology to measure the output to "spike" the rating.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think any of them look bad.

Maybe bada$$, but not ugly. :D

Can I use my old Kenwood for volume control?

I think my new blu-ray player will work for volume control, but if it doesn't, I'd like to have Plan B. The remote still works too!

Quoted from Adam, in Beginners' Forum:

"For two speakers and a sub, that player has what you need. You could use the two-channel analog outputs in a system that uses the crossover in the sub to filter the bass frequencies from the main speakers, and you could use the multichannel analog outputs in 2.1 mode (explained on page 30 of the owner's manual) if you want the blu-ray player to do the bass management. If it were me, I'd go the 2.1 route"
Your Kenwood can control an amplifier's level of output. You have to use the preouts to connect to a separate amplifier.

Most, if not all, Blu-ray players lack a level control. If they do have one I'd assume it will eventually cause problems, such as loud pops when you change the level of output.

Adam didn't mention anything about controlling the level of output from the Blu-ray player. He was saying that you could connect it to a receiver via the multichannel outputs for 2.1 and allow the Player to do the bass management, which means cross-over frequency.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They are the same inside and out. As was mentioned they used a different methodology to measure the output to "spike" the rating.
Wow, I just loss my respect for Behringer then.

2 identical amps, yet they named the amps differently and played the numbers game to get a misleading or false higher power rating and then charge more for it!!!

That is pathetic.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis