Beginners' Guide to Setting Up A Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC (HTPC) & Media Servers' started by admin, Jul 10, 2013.

1. admin Audioholics Robot Staff Member

admin
    Many for us could navigate the settings in our AV receiver in our sleep, but a wireless router is a different story. For those who know both devices equally well, it's still never a bad idea to review the basics.
    [​IMG]

Read the full article on How to Set Up a Wireless Network
  2. jcunwired Audioholic

jcunwired
    With all of those wireless networks available in your network list Step 9 is mandatory, not optional. Just sayin' :D
  3. Cliff_is Audioholics Content Manager

Cliff_is
    You know, you just might be right....

I updated the article to push people a little more to follow through with step 9.
  4. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
  5. Cliff_is Audioholics Content Manager

Cliff_is
    Damn you guys and your valuable insight!

Making me go back and edit content so it's "better" or "more thorough". Almost like we care about putting out quality content or something.
  6. kleinwl Audioholic

kleinwl
    Next file - Bridges, secondary APs, Repeaters, and Powerline/High Boost Antennas / etc

So what do you do when your walk out of your living room and the wireless signal dies? Cut holes in the wall of course!!!

Well, maybe you don't have to go that far. Yet with all the "pretty" internal attenas, 802.11N interference, and issues you might find that your signal sucks anyway.

What I find is a neat fix is intalling a Powerline connector and plug that into a secondary AP. This way I can have excellent coverage around the house - Note do not plug a powerline connector into a surge protector, that usally kills the connection speed and reliability.

A repeater would also work when you live in a 100 year old house with poor wiring, since it just amplifies the wireless signal but I do not have experience with repeaters. I do have experience with bridges however. You can use a bridge that would have a much better signal reception than your wireless card, and it can then be wired into DVD players, x-boxes, or other equipment that do not wireless connections. This works well as long as the wireless signal strength is good to start with, but bandwidth could become an issue, especially if you have multiple high bandwidth consumption devices plugged in (ie computer, Netflix box, x-box, ect). In that case it is better to insure that you have a powerline backbone with a wired router, or conversly 802.11N or AC to make sure that the wireless is not a limiting factor.
  7. fevbusch Audiophyte

fevbusch
    Can someone help me with this question! I have a netgear N300 wireless router. It doesn't work very well because of my concrete walls.
    If I drill a hole in the wall to the next room (which I have already done) Can I then attach a cable directly to my wireless router, put the
    cable thru the wall and plug it into the wi-fi Mondo radio in that room. Appreciate any help. Freddy
    Moderator: If I'm in the wrong thread can you re-route this to the correct thread?
  8. SteveB Audiophyte

SteveB
    WPA2-Enterprise security

I would also recommend to configure your Wireless Router to use remote RADIUS authentication service. It's much more difficult to break into (no static password), allows users and devices management, bandwidth reports and much more. I am using IronWifi Virtual Radius which they provide for free.