Beginners' Guide to Setting Up A Wireless Router

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Many for us could navigate the settings in our AV receiver in our sleep, but a wireless router is a different story. For those who know both devices equally well, it's still never a bad idea to review the basics.

Read the full article on How to Set Up a Wireless Network

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
With all of those wireless networks available in your network list Step 9 is mandatory, not optional. Just sayin' :D

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
With all of those wireless networks available in your network list Step 9 is mandatory, not optional. Just sayin' :D
You know, you just might be right....

I updated the article to push people a little more to follow through with step 9.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
I mentioned this before. No WPA2 will be worth it's salt (very nerdy pun intended) if WPS is still enabled.
Disable WPS right now and please update guide as well.

Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Vulnerable to Brute-Force Attack | US-CERT
A day with Tape: Cracking WPA using the WPS vulnerability with reaver v1.3
Wi-Fi's Protected Setup Woes | PCMag.com

Updating router firmware might or might not solve this. Government recommends to just disable this.
Damn you guys and your valuable insight!

Making me go back and edit content so it's "better" or "more thorough". Almost like we care about putting out quality content or something.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Next file - Bridges, secondary APs, Repeaters, and Powerline/High Boost Antennas / etc

So what do you do when your walk out of your living room and the wireless signal dies? Cut holes in the wall of course!!!

Well, maybe you don't have to go that far. Yet with all the "pretty" internal attenas, 802.11N interference, and issues you might find that your signal sucks anyway.

What I find is a neat fix is intalling a Powerline connector and plug that into a secondary AP. This way I can have excellent coverage around the house - Note do not plug a powerline connector into a surge protector, that usally kills the connection speed and reliability.

A repeater would also work when you live in a 100 year old house with poor wiring, since it just amplifies the wireless signal but I do not have experience with repeaters. I do have experience with bridges however. You can use a bridge that would have a much better signal reception than your wireless card, and it can then be wired into DVD players, x-boxes, or other equipment that do not wireless connections. This works well as long as the wireless signal strength is good to start with, but bandwidth could become an issue, especially if you have multiple high bandwidth consumption devices plugged in (ie computer, Netflix box, x-box, ect). In that case it is better to insure that you have a powerline backbone with a wired router, or conversly 802.11N or AC to make sure that the wireless is not a limiting factor.

F

fevbusch

Audiophyte
Can someone help me with this question! I have a netgear N300 wireless router. It doesn't work very well because of my concrete walls.
If I drill a hole in the wall to the next room (which I have already done) Can I then attach a cable directly to my wireless router, put the
cable thru the wall and plug it into the wi-fi Mondo radio in that room. Appreciate any help. Freddy
Moderator: If I'm in the wrong thread can you re-route this to the correct thread?

S

SteveB

Audiophyte
WPA2-Enterprise security

I would also recommend to configure your Wireless Router to use remote RADIUS authentication service. It's much more difficult to break into (no static password), allows users and devices management, bandwidth reports and much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
noneYet

noneYet

Enthusiast
Can someone help me with this question! I have a netgear N300 wireless router. It doesn't work very well because of my concrete walls.
If I drill a hole in the wall to the next room (which I have already done) Can I then attach a cable directly to my wireless router, put the
cable thru the wall and plug it into the wi-fi Mondo radio in that room. Appreciate any help. Freddy
Moderator: If I'm in the wrong thread can you re-route this to the correct thread?
Ha ha. Re-route.:D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think AH is the correct place for this article. Maybe a home computing website. By, computing website standards, this would be a "I did the minimum" blog post. If you are doing home computing articles, I could see a how-to for NAS based Media Server, which covers the basics of setting up a NAS.

In this section, I'd much rather see articles comparing:
Streaming Music services
Ripping software
Media Servers
Player/ Media Client software

General "how to" articles giving approaches to:
Media Management

etc.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't think AH is the correct place for this article. Maybe a home computing website. By, computing website standards, this would be a "I did the minimum" blog post. If you are doing home computing articles, I could see a how-to for NAS based Media Server, which covers the basics of setting up a NAS.

In this section, I'd much rather see articles comparing:
Streaming Music services
Ripping software
Media Servers
Player/ Media Client software

General "how to" articles giving approaches to:
Media Management

etc.
This article to this day still gets almost as much traffic as our homepage. Explain why it's not a good idea to have content like that on our site?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
This article to this day still gets almost as much traffic as our homepage. Explain why it's not a good idea to have content like that on our site?
If your criteria is SEO and site traffic (NTTAWWT), I have no retort. If that is the case, please include:
Networking security (at least a PSA to say, "use a password"
2.4 vs 5G
Range extenders
Mesh WiFi

and it'll further drive traffic to the website.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If your criteria is SEO and site traffic (NTTAWWT), I have no retort. If that is the case, please include:
Networking security (at least a PSA to say, "use a password"
2.4 vs 5G
Range extenders
Mesh WiFi

and it'll further drive traffic to the website.
Sure if you author those section, I'd be happy to update the article. Our goal was a general article to help people setup a wireless network for home theater, but it became a huge SEO win for us as well.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Sure if you author those section, I'd be happy to update the article. Our goal was a general article to help people setup a wireless network for home theater, but it became a huge SEO win for us as well.
Some of the information is spread across the 'See Also' at the bottom. Perhaps Cliff can come up with a better compendium that doesn't kill your click through revenue.

You have people here far better qualified than me to do justice to an article about networking. BSA and jinjuku come to mind.

Me, I like to tell stories :).
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/a-tale-of-two-receivers-onkyo-nr818-and-denon-x4000.87483/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis