AVR/Speaker Banana Plugs?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I can see now that using spades would be a bad idea. But, the pins should work fine. At least, from what I can tell.

Not at all; these guys are just banana plug advocates. I've been using spades on amps and speakers for decades, and I've never had a problem with vibrations loosening the spades. Ever. I use locking bananas occasionally, like on the Audioengine A5+ speakers I'm listening to as I type this, but I like high quality spades better.

What I don't like are bare wire connections, especially with stranded wires. To much chance of a stray bare strand causing a short, and a well-installed connector, banana or spade, gives a much more positive connection to the terminal.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not at all; these guys are just banana plug advocates. I've been using spades on amps and speakers for decades, and I've never had a problem with vibrations loosening the spades. Ever. I use locking bananas occasionally, like on the Audioengine A5+ speakers I'm listening to as I type this, but I like high quality spades better.

What I don't like are bare wire connections, especially with stranded wires. To much chance of a bare strand causing a short, and a well-installed connector, banana or spade, gives a much more positive connection to the terminal.
This was before I took the tips out of the connectors on the back of the RTi6's. It was then I seen how I could use banana plugs. Before that, it looked like the pins would have been a better way to go. I will keep using spades in mind once I place my order. Thanks for YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This was before I took the tips out of the connectors on that back of the RTi6's. It was then I see how I could use banana plugs. Before, it looked like the pins would have been a better way to go. I will keep using spades in mind once I place my order. Thanks for YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil
Pins may seem good but I don't trust their connections. Spades and plugs make much better connections.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Pins may seem good but I don't trust their connections. Spades and plugs make much better connections.
I agree Peng. I will use the banana plug mentioned in my op. Will be ordering soon. Appreciate YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, just wanted to let you ALL know which banana plugs I ended up going with. Decided on these here:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=9436&seq=1&format=2

They actually are NOT as heavy as I originally thought they would be. Highly recommend them as they are very easy to use. Ordered (10) pairs of them!

I also decided on this power strip:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10907&cs_id=1090702&p_id=9200&seq=1&format=2

I chose this one because the 3420 joules was out of stock. However, this one is working just fine. No issues whatsoever. I also have renters insurance that covers any type of power surge should my gear get toasted.

I also ordered this one:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10907&cs_id=1090702&p_id=9199&seq=1&format=2

Bought this one to use for my desktop, monitor, computer speakers, and etc. So far, working like a charm.

Lastly, I am using this HDMI cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=13586

I ordered a 6' and (2) 3' Ultra Slim Series cables. Absolutely, love theses cables. Highly recommend. Furthermore, Monoprice is absolutely great to deal with. Prices are good and products are good quality. Will order from them again AND again!

Cheers,

Phil

P

prk504

Audioholic Intern
Just to Let you all know the Sewell plugs get loose if you unplug them a few times. I had to take a screwdriver and open the flexible fins to get a good, tight connection after changing out speakers a few times. They're working fine now. I like how they connect to the wire, with no tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just to Let you all know the Sewell plugs get loose if you unplug them a few times. I had to take a screwdriver and open the flexible fins to get a good, tight connection after changing out speakers a few times. They're working fine now. I like how they connect to the wire, with no tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was going to go with the Sewell plugs. But, as it turns out I ordered those linked above from Monoprice and love them. Highly recommend!

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis