Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay @PENG, these measurements were all taken above the back of the chair including Audyssey calibration. It turned out to only be 2 inches higher anyway.

EQ 1 and 2 overlay no DEQ.jpg

Blue/green - EQ1
Green- EQ2
EQ1 and 2 overlay.jpg

Purple- EQ1
Red- EQ2

@William Lemmerhirt, the graphs above show 2 different sweeps. One is with DEQ off, and the other is with DEQ on. The top graph is the one with no DEQ.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These graphs show the 2 sets of sweeps. This first one is in eq1 with 1 port open.

SUB EQ 1 overlay.jpg

Purple- DEQ on
Green (?)- DEQ off
Orange- Audyssey off

These set of sweeps were taken in EQ2 with both ports open.

SUB EQ2 overlay.jpg

Red- DEQ on
Green- DEQ off
Blue- Audyssey off

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You're killing me. :p I kid, I kid. You're giving me exactly what I asked for. Going forward I'm using the app exclusively for Audyssey measurements. That way I can save whatever file, name it and I can upload it any time. I cleared all previous measurements I had before this morning.
Sorry, but remember when you raised the UMIK-1 mic position you were just taking measurements with REW, but the EQ was already done by Audyssey. That's why you should re-run Audyssey with the Audyssey mic sit higher to get the proper info for processing/EQ'ing.

Anyway your final graphs look really good. If you want it to look good just change smoothing to 1/6 and the scale to something like 30 to 110dB on the vertical axis.:D

Your graphs actually look better than mine now, and I have had spent probably 5 to 10X the time you spent on it so far.

Did you look at the distortions? What sub(s) do you have again?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And with that, I'm done for now. Wife will be home any minute and I put stuff away. I'll have time again this evening. I'm gonna enjoy my system for a while and mess with the editor. Feel free to post suggestions for tweaking. I'll upload the tweak(s) later and measure again.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry, but remember when you raised the UMIK-1 mic position you were just taking measurements with REW, but the EQ was already done by Audyssey. That's why you should re-run Audyssey with the Audyssey mic sit higher to get the proper info for processing/EQ'ing.

Anyway your final graphs look really good. If you want it to look good just change smoothing to 1/6 and the scale to something like 30 to 110dB on the vertical axis.:D

Your graphs actually look better than mine now, and I have had spent probably 5 to 10X the time you spent on it so far.

Did you look at the distortions?
I re-took Audyssey measurements with the Audyssey mic above the back of the chair. Check this screenshot.

Screenshot_2017-06-11-09-36-53.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And with that, I'm done for now. Wife will be home any minute and I put stuff away. I'll have time again this evening. I'm gonna enjoy my system for a while and mess with the editor. Feel free to post suggestions for tweaking. I'll upload the tweak(s) later and measure again.
I am glad to hear you are ready to spend time enjoying the system. Even if you don't edit anything, you already have very smooth bass response at your sitting position.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am glad to hear you are ready to spend time enjoying the system. Even if you don't edit anything, you already have very smooth bass response at your sitting position.
Thanks Peng. That's awesome. I really have put a lot of money, time and energy into this so it's nice to hear!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Above is from a review by hometheaterhifi:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/subwoofers/svs-sb13-ultra-subwoofer/

Almost 20 dB climb from 20 to 80 Hz, the reviewer should have used Audyssey, or similar software instead of relying on the build in PEQ.:D
Yikes.

I did 2 new Audyssey calibrations this morning. One with the Audyssey mic at ear height and one above the chair back. I used the "over the chair back" file for all the REW measurements in posts 101 and 102.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Did you look at the distortions? What sub(s) do you have again?
I missed this post earlier. I have a pair of VTF-3 MK5's and I did look at the distortions and don't know for sure what to make of it.

Distortion EQ2.jpg

I'm assuming it's good that it's all well under the fundamental. I have the decay and waterfall graphs too.

Decay EQ2.jpg

Waterfall EQ2.jpg

These 2 I'm not sure what I'm looking at either. I think they're related though? Pretty sure I get the concept of decay as lingering frequencies? these are taken in EQ2 mode FWIW.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is my first tweak with the editor.

Screenshot_2017-06-11-21-50-08.png

I knocked down that peak at 32hz and bumped up the dip at 44hz. 34 and 42 would be more what I was going for, but I couldn't get any plot points closer together than that. I'll upload tomorrow and take another measurement.

SUB EQ2 overlay.jpg

I used this measurement for reference. The red line.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I missed this post earlier. I have a pair of VTF-3 MK5's and I did look at the distortions and don't know for sure what to make of it.
Those are very nice subs, look like they play nice with Audyssey and your room too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are very nice subs, look like they play nice with Audyssey and your room too.
Reading stuff like this puts me in my happy place. Thanks Peng. :)

Okay, some frustration. I spent the last couple of days learning how to use the Umik-1 mic and rew. I've taken more Audyssey measurements in the last 3 days than I have in the last 6 months, both using the app and not using the app. I finally sit down to edit the curve and apply it to see if there would be a significant measureable difference.

The way the app works is you take Audyssey measurements with the Audyssey mic plugged into the avr like you normally would, only you control it through your phone, tablet, etc. My receiver sends all of the data from all 8 measurements to my tablet and saves it to a file which I titled "Measurement 8 Above Chairback". I made a copy of that file, labeled it "Measurement 8 Above chairback Copy 1" and used it to do my tweaking. I uploaded the original file to my avr, set the crossovers and such to where I like it, then did a sweep with rew and generated the charts so I have a "before" measurement. I then opened up the identical, copied file and made some adjustments to the curve.

Screenshot_2017-06-12-13-24-05.png

This is my adjustment. An attempt to dial the peak down at 34hz and bump up the dip I have at 42hz (pictured below). The adjustment is very exaggerated at 4db down at 31hz and 4db up at 44hz. A 4db +/- adjustment. I started off smaller (1db adjustment first time, 2db the second time, etc) but when I uploaded the smaller adjustments and remeasured with rew it was identical. Hence the exaggerated curve adjustments of 4db.

The editor would not let me put 2 plot points as close together as I wanted so I ended up adjusting the peak down at 31hz (closest I could put the plot point with one already at 42hz). I uploaded the edited version to my receiver, adjusted crossovers, etc so they were the same as before and did another sweep.This was my result.

App Edit Overlay.jpg

That's not 1 sweep. Those are both sweeps (before and after adjusting the curve +/- 4db in the app editor) overlayed and they're freaking identical. What's more frustrating is, nobody has the app so nobody knows anything about it. I called Denon/Marantz tech support and they couldn't help. They know what the app is, but couldn't offer tech support. They elevated me to a level 2 tech, took my number and will be calling me back probably tomorrow.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Reading stuff like this puts me in my happy place. Thanks Peng. :)

Okay, some frustration. I spent the last couple of days learning how to use the Umik-1 mic and rew. I've taken more Audyssey measurements in the last 3 days than I have in the last 6 months, both using the app and not using the app. I finally sit down to edit the curve and apply it to see if there would be a significant measureable difference.

The way the app works is you take Audyssey measurements with the Audyssey mic plugged into the avr like you normally would, only you control it through your phone, tablet, etc. My receiver sends all of the data from all 8 measurements to my tablet and saves it to a file which I titled "Measurement 8 Above Chairback". I made a copy of that file, labeled it "Measurement 8 Above chairback Copy 1" and used it to do my tweaking. I uploaded the original file to my avr, set the crossovers and such to where I like it, then did a sweep with rew and generated the charts so I have a "before" measurement. I then opened up the identical, copied file and made some adjustments to the curve.

View attachment 21331
This is my adjustment. An attempt to dial the peak down at 34hz and bump up the dip I have at 42hz (pictured below). The adjustment is very exaggerated at 4db down at 31hz and 4db up at 44hz. A 4db +/- adjustment. I started off smaller (1db adjustment first time, 2db the second time, etc) but when I uploaded the smaller adjustments and remeasured with rew it was identical. Hence the exaggerated curve adjustments of 4db.

The editor would not let me put 2 plot points as close together as I wanted so I ended up adjusting the peak down at 31hz (closest I could put the plot point with one already at 42hz). I uploaded the edited version to my receiver, adjusted crossovers, etc so they were the same as before and did another sweep.This was my result.

View attachment 21336

That's not 1 sweep. Those are both sweeps (before and after adjusting the curve +/- 4db in the app editor) overlayed and they're freaking identical. What's more frustrating is, nobody has the app so nobody knows anything about it. I called Denon/Marantz tech support and they couldn't help. They know what the app is, but couldn't offer tech support. They elevated me to a level 2 tech, took my number and will be calling me back probably tomorrow.
It seems that the app did not take the changes you made. If there is a "save" button, I am sure you pressed it.

This this thing is so new, it will be hard to get help for sure. May be try tweeting Dr. Kyiakakis.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisaudyssey

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It seems that the app did not take the changes you made. If there is a "save" button, I am sure you pressed it.

This this thing is so new, it will be hard to get help for sure. May be try tweeting Dr. Kyiakakis.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisaudyssey
It's actually the "done" button, but yeah. I made sure I saved it and double triple checked. I can pull it up right now and upload it again if I want.
Thanks HD. There's another wrinkle though. When I use a curve uploaded from the app the upper frequencies aren't boosted as much as as a measurement taken by the receiver by itself.

The upper frequencies are definitely bumped up higher not using the app. It's audible too. Very. I can switch from the previous curve copy to the new one instantly under graphic/manual eq from the menus (one time). It shows under adjust eq too. Also, the app trims my subs to -6 and the receiver by itself trims them at -10. This is repeatable too.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Weird. I'd definitely post up your observations on the FB page, there's some other users there that may be able to shed light or at least share your experience for others to see. Should get a response from Chris K....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If there are bugs, they most likely will release Firmware fix sooner or later. Until then you probably should limit EQ to 1 to 2k hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis