Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I currently have an Audyssey curve loaded in my avr right now that I did not use the the app to take (subs trimmed -10, upper frequencies boosted a little more) and did some sweeps. A couple sub sweeps and a couple with both L/R main speakers by themselves, DEQ on and DEQ off for both sets of sweeps.

View attachment 21339
I overlayed the sub with my main speakers in both of these. This one is with DEQ on.

View attachment 21340
This one is with DEQ off. What am I looking at here? To my untrained eye my main speakers are a real mess!

I'm going to upload the last app file I measured using the app and do the same sweeps. I wanna see what it comes up with. I'm almost positive they'll be quite a bit different. Everything is equal for both files. The only difference is one was taken using the app and the other without. Again, this set of sweeps is based on a curve not measured by the app.
You can also pick the reference to get some HF roll off. Most main speakers don't get to look pretty at the high and low ends unless you use smoothing as Shady mentioned. You can now see why changing well designed amps won't make much audible difference. You can now add an external 300WPC ATI amp, and the two frequency response curves will just overlap to look like one. At comfortable listening level, the distortion curves would also look very similar. Moving your mic by even 6 inches will, however, result in different curve.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You can also pick the reference to get some HF roll off. Most main speakers don't get to look pretty at the high and low ends unless you use smoothing as Shady mentioned. You can now see why changing well designed amps won't make much audible difference. You can now add an external 300WPC ATI amp, and the two frequency response curves will just overlap to look like one. At comfortable listening level, the distortion curves would also look very similar. Moving your mic by even 6 inches will, however, result in different curve.
Peng, Guess who just figured out how to apply 1/12 smoothing! That's What I've been spending the last hour or so doing. I put together a couple of graphs.

AC Full Range Sweep no DEQ.jpg

This is a curve using measurements taken using just the receiver, No DEQ

RC Full Range Sweep no DEQ.jpg

This curve was taken using the app to take the measurements. Also no DEQ. I get that my bass response is pretty good, but for the life of me i couldn't figure out how to get the sweeps for my main speakers to not look so... jaggy. They do look pretty similar. I'm done for the night. I'll do some more in the morning.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your frequency response curves are not bad. If you want to smooth it out, look into room treatments. That would not be a small project to tackle really well though. A lot of people do a perfunctory job and the result is a nothing burger. You can also do manual EQing, if you really love tweaking.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, as promised I got up early this morning to do some more intensive measurements than I have before, now that I'm armed with a little more knowledge using REW. Early because I didn't want to have to have to fight the heat again with me with turning my HVAC off and on for measurements. I unplugged my fridge too and got the noise floor down to ~ -70.

I started off by taking 8 new Audyssey measurements (at six in the morning) using first the app and saving the calibration file on my tablet. Then I took 8 new Audyssey measurements using the receiver by itself.

REW:
I used the Audyssey calibration file I took last, using the receiver by itself for measurements (since it was already in there) and took 2 sets of REW sweeps. 6 for my main speakers (both at the same time) and 6 for my subwoofers, placing the mic in the same pattern and height (about 1" over the back of the chair) that I took my Audyssey measurements from.

I could only get 6 REW measurements because the cables I have aren't long enough to get 7 and 8 behind the chair. I think 6 is pretty good though.

I then uploaded the calibration file from my tablet, wash, rinse and repeat with REW measurements. I averaged the 2 sets of 6 for my mains, did the same for the subs measurements and made a couple of overlays. Between REW and Audyssey I think I took 28 measurements altogether this morning. These are my results.

Main Speakers Overlay Averaged    AR.jpg

These are the sweeps I took for my main speakers. The red line is the receiver by itself. Purple is the calibration file I uploaded from my app. They're really pretty close. I can see what I'm hearing that's different though. They're not night and day, but the difference is audible to me. This is very consistent with what I've been getting over the last few days. I kind of prefer the receiver's curve here. Happy with both, really though. I acknowledge the differences are pretty small.

Subwoofer Overlay Averaged AR.jpg

Subwoofers! Here, imo, is a fairly significant difference. The purple line is the receiver by itself and the green is the file I uploaded from my tablet. This is very consistent also, and believe me, I've taken many, many measurements over the last few days. I have a reasonable sample size to pull from. I'd say my favored curve should be pretty obvious here... :p

It looks like the averaged measurements are a little kinder with that 34hz peak and 42hz dip. It's really very good right now. I'm just spinning around in this rabbit hole... Still waiting to hear back from Chris on it.

*Edit: I just bumped the thread on facebook I have with Chris. I only uploaded the overlay of the subs. He asked for averaged measurements yesterday. I was kinda done with measuring by that time, lol.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your frequency response curves are not bad. If you want to smooth it out, look into room treatments. That would not be a small project to tackle really well though. A lot of people do a perfunctory job and the result is a nothing burger. You can also do manual EQing, if you really love tweaking.
Oh hell no. I'm not doing any room treatments. I agree with you, my frc aren't bad at all. I just tried tweaking a couple minor spots with the app editor and it didn't do anything. Plus I'd like to know why the calibration curves are so different between the app and receiver by itself. I was working on that post above while you responded. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those responses are very good. The average 3 graph from the top pic looks like it is within a 6 dB window from 300 Hz and above, that is very good. It is kind of you to help with the R&D with Audyssey's new gizmo. They should give you a consultancy fee, or at least a discount for the AVR!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Those responses are very good. The average 3 graph from the top pic looks like it is within a 6 dB window from 300 Hz and above, that is very good. It is kind of you to help with the R&D with Audyssey's new gizmo. They should give you a consultancy fee, or at least a discount for the AVR!
No kidding. Gotta love being an un-paid beta tester...that had to pay to be a beta tester.:confused:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They should give you a consultancy fee, or at least a discount for the AVR!
How about a complimentary upgrade to the SR7011! :p

Thanks shady. I don't mind doing this right now because I have the time. It won't be too long before I won't have time for this kind of stuff, so I might as well dial it all in before that time comes! I'm really happy with the fr I have right now. I know it sounds good. I can hear it. ;)

FWIW all those measurements were taken with the volume on my SR6011 set at -30, DEQ off.

Screenshot_2017-06-15-18-44-50.png

I love it when the distances for my front stage come out like that. :cool:

I just got a $3000 check from my old job that I wasn't expecting and can pretty much do as I please with. I might have to start a new thread...

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How about the....."Moving bookshelves to the rear and replacing with ultra towers" thread? Lololol!!!!!!!!
You know that was coming! :neener:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How about the....."Moving bookshelves to the rear and replacing with ultra towers" thread? Lololol!!!!!!!!
You know that was coming! :neener:
Oh I've thought about it. I dunno. if I buy new speakers I'm pretty sure it'll be something from Dennis or Salk.

*Edit: @William Lemmerhirt, I've been eyeballing the new Monolith amps since Gene posted about them. I dunno about speakers. I just got the matching center for my Ultras. Think the towers would be a worthy upgrade? I'm gonna take my time on this one. I'm sure there are other things to consider. I'm considering this play money though... :D

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I spent most of yesterday wrestling with this app editor and I'm largely frustrated. At the end of it all I've determined that corrections made using the editor for measurements are just, wrong.

1. The app editor always, ALWAYS trims my subs 3db louder than the receiver does. For instance, the editor willset the trim at -6, while the receiver sets the trim at -9. This is very consistent.

2. When I do a curve copy in the graphic eq menu for each adjustment the editor always, ALWAYS bumps the 250 hz band +6 db. That's as high as it can. I can't imagine that would be good for my speakers? It's pretty audible and sounds not so good. Also very consistent

I'm going to take some rew measurements today and see if what shows on screen also shows in measurements.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I spent most of yesterday wrestling with this app editor and I'm largely frustrated. At the end of it all I've determined that corrections made using the editor for measurements are just, wrong.

1. The app editor always, ALWAYS trims my subs 3db louder than the receiver does. For instance, the editor willset the trim at -6, while the receiver sets the trim at -9. This is very consistent.

2. When I do a curve copy in the graphic eq menu for each adjustment the editor always, ALWAYS bumps the 250 hz band +6 db. That's as high as it can. I can't imagine that would be good for my speakers? It's pretty audible and sounds not so good. Also very consistent

I'm going to take some rew measurements today and see if what shows on screen also shows in measurements.
Sounds like Audyssey/D+M should put you on their payrole!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not impressed with @Pogre 's experience, and the response of Chris K/Audyssey on FB hasn't been too hot either...
Man, you got that right. I can't get poop for help.

Marantz: "We really don't know a lot because it's so new."
Audyssey: "Denon or Marantz are handling anything to do with the App Editor. Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems."

:rolleyes:

Anyway I did some measurements with REW and here are my results.

App 1k Up.jpg

Receiver 1k Up.jpg

AR Overlay 1k Up.jpg

Those are all focused on the upper frequencies, obviously.

App 150 Up.jpg

150 Up.jpg
AR Overlay 150 Up.jpg

There I wanted to see what was going on with that +6db bump at 250 hz that was shown in manual eq/curve copy. My untrained eye doesn't see a whole lot of difference.

App Sub Sweep EQ1.jpg

Sub Sweep EQ1.jpg

AR Sub Overlay EQ1.jpg

Those are the sub sweeps. I can see a difference here. This is pretty consistent.

EQ1 and EQ2 Sub Overlay.jpg

Just for grins I did an overlay of eq1 and eq2 with the Hsu's. No app involved with that one.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, you got that right. I can't get poop for help.

Marantz: "We really don't know a lot because it's so new."
Audyssey: "Denon or Marantz are handling anything to do with the App Editor. Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems."

:rolleyes:

Anyway I did some measurements with REW and here are my results.

View attachment 21641
View attachment 21642
View attachment 21643
Those are all focused on the upper frequencies, obviously.

View attachment 21644
View attachment 21645 View attachment 21646
There I wanted to see what was going on with that +6db bump at 250 hz that was shown in manual eq/curve copy. My untrained eye doesn't see a whole lot of difference.

View attachment 21647
View attachment 21648
View attachment 21649
Those are the sub sweeps. I can see a difference here. This is pretty consistent.

View attachment 21650
Just for grins I did an overlay of eq1 and eq2 with the Hsu's. No app involved with that one.
At least they are honest about it, though they should not charge $20 until the product is fully debugged. Unfortunately unless there are enough people complain about it, nothing will happen soon..

Having said that, there is still hope that they will eventually release an update to make it usable. The good thing is, you are still getting decent results without the App.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis