j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Audiosouse said:
LOL!!! That's the first time I've heard Monster cables referred to as less expensive!
Monster's lowest level stuff is pretty cheap if you ask me, in the $20 range. How is that NOT cheap?

Please submit scientific proof, such a noticeable difference will be easily measured.
Do you want scientific proof that it's you in the mirror too? Or do you trust your eyes? I trust my ears.

That's called the placebo effect, you're hearing what you think you want to hear, not what you are actually hearing, which is nothing. A correctly implimented DBT is the only way to truly trust your ears. If what you are saying is true, it will be reflected by your accuracy in the test.
I don't disagree that a DBT is the way to test this sort of thing, but there was a DBT done that also proved that people hear differently and if they know what to listen for, they can identify those differences with a near 100% accuracy.

Always good to believe whatever the cable manufacturer tells you. You can trust them, they'd never lie! Your best interests are their only concern.
I don't believe what they tell me. I believe what I've heard with my own ears.

When it comes to Audioquest, I always buy used or sales, because I DO feel they are overpriced. As long as there is no damage to the cable, used is a good way to get decent stuff for MUCH less than retail. I think I paid half or less for all my cables, which would put them right around Monster's prices for new ICs, and the AQ are easily better constructed. I don't take to heart everything cable manufacturer's say, but AQ said one thing that I find to be very true; someone else mentioned it in this thread: ICs don't IMPROVE sound, they only detract from it, so the goal is to use ICs that have the least negative effect.

As I already said, I don't think sinking a ton of cash into cables is going to help fix a problem with your system. If your speakers are too bright in your room, ICs aren't going to fix that. If midrange is lacking, a new cable isn't going to fix that. I've tried many of AQs cables and as Gene said, the law of diminishing returns seems to have a fairly steep slope for ICs. I found that beyond about the Diamondback price point, the differences couldn't justify the price for me, so I stuck with mostly those (used you can find 1m pair for about $40-50). I also use these, and for $65/pr they are an excellent cable. It's nearly identical to the King Cobra at less than half the price, and I wouldn't call that grossly expensive.

What ICs do YOU use, just out of curiosity? I found it funny when I had this discussion with some others about this subject that say there is no difference at all in cables, yet none of them used the cables that came in the box with their gear. They all bought cables... Why is that? There's no difference right?

I also use Bluejeans cables for all my video. These are excellent cables, and though I have not tried out their audio cables, I would expect the same of them, and their prices are quite good. Customer service is excellent, I highly recommend them.

We all know where this debate goes though...

Last edited:
Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Monster's lowest level stuff is pretty cheap if you ask me, in the $20 range. How is that NOT cheap?
Because it's still double other brand's cable for the same thing.

Do you want scientific proof that it's you in the mirror too?
It can be proven at least. The whole point of DBT is to use ONLY your ears, can't trust them otherwise. It's amazing what your eyes can hear.

I don't disagree that a DBT is the way to test this sort of thing, but there was a DBT done that also proved that people hear differently and if they know what to listen for, they can identify those differences with a near 100% accuracy.
Do you have the link? That would be an interesting read. I always thought humans were the same species, thus having the same ears.

What ICs do YOU use, just out of curiosity? I found it funny when I had this discussion with some others about this subject that say there is no difference at all in cables, yet none of them used the cables that came in the box with their gear. They all bought cables... Why is that? There's no difference right?
I've never bought a piece of equipment within the last three years that included any interconnects except a power cord.

I practice what I preach, I started with RCA brand from Home Depot because they are well built, attractive and inexpensive. You can even unscrew the plug shroud to look at the termination. How many cables are that confident? Not many.

I now use Ultralink. I support the locals wherever possible and can negotiate a very good price from 2001 Audio/Video up here in the Great White. For example, I can buy THREE packs of Ultralink bananas for every ONE pack of Monster. No BS and Ultralink provides one hell of a positive connection.

And sadly, I own one Monster Toslink because it was on sale. But that's it! :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I get my bananas at Parts Express for $3/pr. #091-330. That's 6 pairs for the price of one pack / 2 pairs of Monster. I like the way they clamp without twisting against the wire like set screw and screw-type ones. I can also get a pack of the industrial nickel plated ones for $9/pk of 10 locally, the only problem is they don't fit 14AWG speake wire.

Do you have the link? That would be an interesting read. I always thought humans were the same species, thus having the same ears.
I'll have to look around for it, it's kind of old. Basically, one guy could hear one slight difference in their test 100% of the time, and after he described it to another person, they could identify it as well. Everyone has ears, yes, but we all have eyes too, and not everyone can see as well as the next person can they? People still buy Bose don't they?

I can't say the last time I bought a piece of gear, aside from a cheap DVD, player that included cables either, but that wasn't the point. The point was, why doesn't everyone just use those $2 cables if there's no difference?

I don't profess to be a golden ear, but I don't really have a reason to BS people about what I hear either. If I didn't think it was worth mentioning, I wouldn't.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The point was, why doesn't everyone just use those $2 cables if there's no difference?
Price really isn't an issue with cables. For a very minimal cost you can design an interconnect with low capacitance, plenty of shielding and solid terminations. The cosmetics and marketing appeal is usually what drives the outlandish prices and psuedo science claims.

Junior Audioholic
Good quality cable wont really improve your sound, but bad quality defenitely gives your bad sound which you not suppose not to have. The point is how much you should pay for a good quality cable?

can anyone of you tell the different between AQ $200 sub cable with blue jeans $50 cable?

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
I get my bananas at Parts Express for $3/pr. #091-330. That's 6 pairs for the price of one pack / 2 pairs of Monster. I like the way they clamp without twisting against the wire like set screw and screw-type ones. I can also get a pack of the industrial nickel plated ones for $9/pk of 10 locally, the only problem is they don't fit 14AWG speake wire.
Good deal! You yanks have the best e-tailers around. They wouldn't be such a great deal for me after duty, tax, brokerage, etc., etc. That's why, aside from Axiom, Canucks tend to go to their local retailer. Please correct me if I'm wrong fellow igloo dwellers! Are there any good CDN e-tailers for such things?

pikers

pikers

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Cables do make a difference.

"Yes they do. I tried an experiment without them and it didn't owrk."

Here's an idea... Try to enjoy your gear as opposed to analyzing it OCD-style.

The sidewinders were poorly constructed. Had to take them back to my dealer for re sodering.

"You should read the Consumer Reports when they review some world class cars how many defects they find on them."

Any time CR doesn't like something, it should be sought after.

The resoddering also changed the sound of the cable.(not the same soder aq used).

"How did you determine this? Are you saying that solder has a sound of its own now and is audibly different?"

The king cobra's are a very nice sounding cable.Full bodied and revealing of all the small details.

"And the other is not? That would show up on instruments, you think? Or in a bias controlled listening?"

Since he had different lines from the same company, I'm sure he's quite familiar with the differences.

The rca plugs are also solidly constructed.You can purchase them for less then $230.

"Yes, you can purchase interconnect cables for way less, maybe $10."

And wonder why your system always sounds so pedestrian...

Just shop around.I do recemmend these interconnects.Using them between the integra cd player and my parasound p3 pre amp.

"I recommend the less expensive interconnects and buying more software, music to enjoy."

I agree with that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis