A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Is the audioquest king cobra interconnect 2m worth the $230 price tag. I have looked at the cable and seen its quality and the solid terminations. Yet I would have to purchase to hear them. I have an rxz9 av receiver and plan on getting the denon 3910 universal player. can anyone provide info?

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Aliixer said:
Is the audioquest king cobra interconnect 2m worth the $230 price tag. I have looked at the cable and seen its quality and the solid terminations. Yet I would have to purchase to hear them. I have an rxz9 av receiver and plan on getting the denon 3910 universal player. can anyone provide info?
Hear them? Does wire make a sound while laying there? You'll find this a point of controversy.

$230 for 6.5 feet of wire?

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
is that $230 pr pair? cu i fou em forr $135 per pair
My 5 year old niece can write better than that. Apologies if you are under 5.

U

Unregistered

it's not matter of knowing how to write or spell, but rather of being handicaped and being nimble, ******.

[edited for foul language, please don't do this again]

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Aliixer said:

Why beat around the bush?
There is no evidence that interconnect cables have a sound, let alone audibly different. The real audioworld is waiting for that first contact for 25+ years now :D
Oh, lots of voodoo, nonsense, myth, urban legend abound; evidence, zero.

U

Unregistered

audioquest king cobra interconnects $230?

I payed $150 for 2m after tax At my audio dealer.I also purchased the integra dcp 5.3 cd/dvd player.Cables do make a difference.Was using the audioquest sidewinder cables before the king cobra.The sidewinders were poorly constructed. Had to take them back to my dealer for re sodering.The resoddering also changed the sound of the cable.(not the same soder aq used).The king cobra's are a very nice sounding cable.Full bodied and revealing of all the small details.The rca plugs are also solidly constructed.You can purchase them for less then $230.Just shop around.I do recemmend these interconnects.Using them between the integra cd player and my parasound p3 pre amp.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Cables do make a difference.

Yes they do. I tried an experiment without them and it didn't owrk.

The sidewinders were poorly constructed. Had to take them back to my dealer for re sodering.

You should read the Consumer Reports when they review some world class cars how many defects they find on them.

The resoddering also changed the sound of the cable.(not the same soder aq used).

How did you determine this? Are you saying that solder has a sound of its own now and is audibly different?

The king cobra's are a very nice sounding cable.Full bodied and revealing of all the small details.

And the other is not? That would show up on instruments, you think? Or in a bias controlled listening?

The rca plugs are also solidly constructed.You can purchase them for less then $230.

Yes, you can purchase interconnect cables for way less, maybe $10.

Just shop around.I do recemmend these interconnects.Using them between the integra cd player and my parasound p3 pre amp.

I recommend the less expensive interconnects and buying more software, music to enjoy.

M

MichaelB

Audiophyte
Aliixer,
I have the Audioquest Diamondbacks and find them to be an improvement over the overpriced Monster Cable IC's they replaced. Most dealers will let you return cables if you find there is no difference in the clarity of the sound. Would your dealer let you do an in-home demo ?

Good luck, Michael

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
thanks michael!

I will ask the dealer is they would let me audition them... I too have seen an improvement over monster. I just think in the future I am not going to spend a great deal of $ on cables. The internal wiring of most components is average no thrill copper wiring, so its hard to see the justification of expensive cables connecting gear. I can see the importance of quality copper purity, solid termination and RCA quality with good insulation. Monster cable has these features, however is pricey. I am not sure of the validity, but Audioquest claims they terminate the RCA's by welding them. Maybe that makes a differnece, I know the strength of a weld far surpasses that of a simple solder. With saying all that I would definatley consider the audioquest diamond back interconnect. Not to expensive and they get the job done....alex

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

MichaelB said:
Aliixer,
I have the Audioquest Diamondbacks and find them to be an improvement over the overpriced Monster Cable IC's they replaced. Most dealers will let you return cables if you find there is no difference in the clarity of the sound. Would your dealer let you do an in-home demo ?

Good luck, Michael

How much for that Audioquest and Monster?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Aliixer said:
Maybe that makes a differnece, I know the strength of a weld far surpasses that of a simple solder. ..alex
Welding is fine when you need it. I wasn't aware that cable connectors need to be welded? What stresses are on the cables?

M

MichaelB

Audiophyte
Mtrycrafts,
The Audioquest ran approx. $100.00 for one meter. The Monster Cables were almost $200.00 for the same length.

Michael

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

MichaelB said:
Mtrycrafts,
The Audioquest ran approx. $100.00 for one meter. The Monster Cables were almost $200.00 for the same length.

Michael

WOW. Moster is really adding on the 0s.
But Radio Shack for way less, or the cables posted ion this web site, or www.partsexpress.com, or WalMart, Target. Lots of places for a better deal.

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
MichaelB said:
Mtrycrafts,

Michael

Ross Perot would have something to say here about giant sucking sounds I believe. :D

Neither are a very good value for the money in my opinion. My local Home Depot carries RCA brand for less than 10% of that. (For some reasone HD isn't consistent as to what they carry store by store and online.)

-Bruce

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
welding vs. solder

mtrycrafts said:
Welding is fine when you need it. I wasn't aware that cable connectors need to be welded? What stresses are on the cables?

This is true, not much stress on a audio cable, however the importance I believe is the connection. Soldering introduces an extra medium in the wire.Whereas welding the connection simply fuses the RCA to the wire.....These are just the facts, whether or not there is an improvement in sound quality is personal opinion.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Aliixer said:
This is true, not much stress on a audio cable, however the importance I believe is the connection. Soldering introduces an extra medium in the wire.Whereas welding the connection simply fuses the RCA to the wire.....These are just the facts, whether or not there is an improvement in sound quality is personal opinion.

Did you ever look under the hood of an amp, preamps or other component's circuit board? Have you noticed the wiring and soldering in there? You really think that one tiny connection at the RCS plug matters? Can it be measurted unless you have the gear that the National Standards Labs have?

No, I will not buy into the solder matters, it doesn't unless it isa poorly done and you have a cold joint. That is rare.

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Please read!!!

mtrycrafts said:
Did you ever look under the hood of an amp, preamps or other component's circuit board? Have you noticed the wiring and soldering in there? You really think that one tiny connection at the RCS plug matters? Can it be measurted unless you have the gear that the National Standards Labs have?

No, I will not buy into the solder matters, it doesn't unless it isa poorly done and you have a cold joint. That is rare.
It is of personal opinion, trying to measure one link in the chain, (being the cable), would not yield much difference on paper, however throughout an entire system uniformity and consistancy of quality would ring true rewards for most listeners ears. Try it!!!!!!!!! Once you have done so, reply your findings....Most vendors will gladly return cables. I remind you, I do not endorse purchasing expensive cables, just well built ones...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Aliixer said:
Try it!!!!!!!!! Once you have done so, reply your findings....Most vendors will gladly return cables. I remind you, I do not endorse purchasing expensive cables, just well built ones...
Waste of time to even try it. Nothing there to happen, to try, nothing, from that welded or soldered joint.

http://www.national.com/rap/Story/0,1562,3,00.html

Well built cables are good indeed :D For that alone it may be worth it but there is nothing to listen to so what is there to try? Either the construction impresses or it doesn't.

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
soldering or no soldering

Thats your choice, no big deal here.... I just bought the audioquest cable because I wanted to tinker with my system and It was a cheap way to do it. but anyway thanks for the reply on the sub placement......I posted a pic there too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis