Audiophile-Grade Home Theater Setup: Combining Audio-Focused Gear with Home Theater Components

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Guess he felt our systems weren't resolving enough as to spending money?
Nope. I think its the snide remarks. There was an opportunity to educate someone but I find forums are much like mobs. Mobs are stupid and its easy to get caught up in the fever. I've seen happen here and on other forums as well.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Nope. I think its the snide remarks. There was an opportunity to educate someone but I find forums are much like mobs. Mobs are stupid and its easy to get caught up in the fever. I've seen happen here and on other forums as well.
It appeared to me, it was a gang tackle.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Look, how many of those nutters have we had wandering in over the years? We try to educate them and use extreme patience, but we get nowhere. The reason is that they have a superstitious belief system. And data shows it is VERY hard to dislodge that. From now on I will regard those as time wasters.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Look, how many of those nutters have we had wandering in over the years? We try to educate them and use extreme patience, but we get nowhere. The reason is that they have a superstitious belief system. And data shows it is VERY hard to dislodge that. From now on I will regard those as time wasters.
Plus some just get a kick out of coming here knowing well what the result of their posts will be....then they can go back to their little audiophool groups and say oh these guys have no idea how deranged we actually are :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Plus some just get a kick out of coming here knowing well what the result of their posts will be....then they can go back to their little audiophool groups and say oh these guys have no idea how deranged we actually are :)
Yeah, I had a feeling from the start he was a troll. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I understand if its a repeat offender but unless I'm mistaken, he's new. This is bit of stretch but the analogy still holds true...its like saying all Germans were Nazis in WW2. You and I know that its not true. So unless this guy keeps repeating the mistake, please for the love of God and audio, show some f'in humility and patience.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I understand if its a repeat offender but unless I'm mistaken, he's new. This is bit of stretch but the analogy still holds true...its like saying all Germans were Nazis in WW2. You and I know that its not true. So unless this guy keeps repeating the mistake, please for the love of God and audio, show some f'in humility and patience.
Hard to tell if a repeat offender from my view. I'd guess it's not that hard to do a new identity for the purposes of the forum. If he was sincere he might have first done some reading of existing conversations and bringing that into a new conversation.....or just has the typical preconceived notions and probably just wants some reinforcement vibes or something.....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hard to tell if a repeat offender from my view. I'd guess it's not that hard to do a new identity for the purposes of the forum. If he was sincere he might have first done some reading of existing conversations and bringing that into a new conversation.....or just has the typical preconceived notions and probably just wants some reinforcement vibes or something.....
Easier to determine over phone or in person. Text is always open to the reader's interpretation.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Easier to determine over phone or in person. Text is always open to the reader's interpretation.
I think this pretty easy to translate: - "
I'm interested in hearing from other audiophile enthusiasts who also want a standout home theater/media center setup.

Are there any audiophile brands that you have used in your home theater/media center setup, rather than the usual suggestions of receivers/speakers from Denon, Marantz, SVS, KEF, Klipsch, etc?

Translation:-

I want to hear from some toffee nosed twots, who disdain equipment used by the plebs on here, like Denon, Marantz, SVS, KEF, Klipsch, that I totally beneath consideration from the likes of people in my elevated position". That is a fair translation.

O

OCA

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I've been browsing discussions on various audio forums, and I've noticed that most discussions related to home theater setups tend to focus on surround sound, Atmos, and other similar aspects. However, I'm interested in hearing from other audiophile enthusiasts who also want a standout home theater/media center setup.

Are there any audiophile brands that you have used in your home theater/media center setup, rather than the usual suggestions of receivers/speakers from Denon, Marantz, SVS, KEF, Klipsch, etc? Have you created a well-appointed 2.0 or 2.1 setup that outdoes many 5.x or 7.x setups?
You can do both simultaneously if you invest in a nice pair of speakers and a descent stereo integrated amp with HT bypass function. Pick high sensitivity, high impedance speakers for your surrounds and any AVR will do.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You can do both simultaneously if you invest in a nice pair of speakers and a descent stereo integrated amp with HT bypass function. Pick high sensitivity, high impedance speakers for your surrounds and any AVR will do.
That will still be a downgrade. Most of these integrated amps, are low powered and with no bass management. Cost with these units is more often than not inversely related to quality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or better yet, if you use an external amp, just get a power amp rather than duplicate the pre-amp in an integrated. More cost effective, too.

O

OCA

Enthusiast
Or better yet, if you use an external amp, just get a power amp rather than duplicate the pre-amp in an integrated. More cost effective, too.
That is the logic but it doesn't quite work for two reasons. It's the pre-amp section that needs descent transformers for good sound and AVR pre-outs are hardly average in that sense and even if your HIFI source has high quality pre-out sections, there are no power amps that can switch inputs with a button that I know of.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is the logic but it doesn't quite work for two reasons. It's the pre-amp section that needs descent transformers for good sound and AVR pre-outs are hardly average in that sense and even if your HIFI source has high quality pre-out sections, there are no power amps that can switch inputs with a button that I know of.
The avr is fine, about the same as most integrateds. Why would you need a button to use the power amp?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

One of your reasons are out. There are no transformers in any preamp circuit I know of. The only transformer in any of these units is the power transformer, which just has to provide current and the correct voltages. It has no direct influence on SQ.

Have you measured the performance of AV equipment? Well I have. There is nothing from the output of AV preamps that could possibly cause any audible problems. I just don't know where you guys dream up these problems. Just bunk on bunk. The preamp sections of AV units are just as good as any integrated amp. Their power amps are generally more powerful. I don't own any integrated amps, and never have. They just have never had enough power for me, so I have always used separate power amps, even back in the mono and stereo eras before AV.

It is just a shame that there is just myth, ignorance and probably down right lies spread in the subjective press. So called "golden ears" abound, claiming they hear all kinds of fanciful stuff, without a shred of data to back it up. This all does immense harm to the whole arena. What people need to really be asking these clowns, is never mind your opinion, where is your data?

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
I don't own any integrated amps, and never have.
That just about explains your total lack of knowledge, when It comes down to any sort of review or comment. In short is your talking through the back of your head. And have zero knowledge of standard amplification

The preamp sections of AV units are just as good as any integrated amp.
How would you know that if as you admit to never owning an integrated 2 channel amplifier. Once again your running your mouth off about something you freely admit you have zero knowledge of. Many years ago I owned a Yamaha Z11, While it had countless connections for all sorts of supposed programming, Much of which is never used . It's power supply was basic, and really did struggle with different speaker loads. Maggies where a complete no no. At the time I was running a Pass Labs integratted.Needless to say the Yamaha was returned to the retail outlet post haste, never to return.

The main problem with any AVR is there power supplies, which are cheap third rate units, which are the cause of most failures. It really comes down to cost and high quality Toroidal power supplies cost a lot more, But are far more reliable. And after all you only get what you pay for. There was a Boulder 3060 on AudiogoN the other day the cost was $158.000. There power supplies are massive. Of cause there not really the equal of Gryphon , or MBL. But then what is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis