Audiophile-Grade Home Theater Setup: Combining Audio-Focused Gear with Home Theater Components

K

Kirra_Eva

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I've been browsing discussions on various audio forums, and I've noticed that most discussions related to home theater setups tend to focus on surround sound, Atmos, and other similar aspects. However, I'm interested in hearing from other audiophile enthusiasts who also want a standout home theater/media center setup.

Are there any audiophile brands that you have used in your home theater/media center setup, rather than the usual suggestions of receivers/speakers from Denon, Marantz, SVS, KEF, Klipsch, etc? Have you created a well-appointed 2.0 or 2.1 setup that outdoes many 5.x or 7.x setups?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all,

I've been browsing discussions on various audio forums, and I've noticed that most discussions related to home theater setups tend to focus on surround sound, Atmos, and other similar aspects. However, I'm interested in hearing from other audiophile enthusiasts who also want a standout home theater/media center setup.

Are there any audiophile brands that you have used in your home theater/media center setup, rather than the usual suggestions of receivers/speakers from Denon, Marantz, SVS, KEF, Klipsch, etc? Have you created a well-appointed 2.0 or 2.1 setup that outdoes many 5.x or 7.x setups?
This is a nonsense post, that can not be answered. I suspect you have had your head filled with boat loads of Audiophool cod's wallop. There is good engineering, bad engineering and everything in between. There is no magic. Your sound will be pretty much entirely determined by the quality of your speakers and their interaction with their environment.

I have a 2.1 system, 3.1 system and a 7.2.4 system. They are all properly engineered and perform well. I can get an excellent picture with all three, so they are all AV systems.

A lot of these Audiophool exotic recommendations are not as good as many lunatics make them out to be. In an age of AV streaming it is a huge bonus to have a good picture and good sound combined. The days of audio only are pretty much over as far us i'm concerned.

So if you put any system together via a top end AVP from Marantz, for instance, with good power amps and speakers it will be state of the art.

Stay on this forum and avoid the subjective loony press.

Just one question, do you use exotic speaker cables or power cords? If yes, you are in urgent need of therapy from this forum, if no then you have a big leg up and may make rapid progress.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are there any audiophile brands that you have used in your home theater/media center setup, rather than the usual suggestions of receivers/speakers from Denon, Marantz, SVS, KEF, Klipsch, etc?
Yeah, sure. I also like Yamaha. :D

But what's WRONG with Denon/Marantz?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Obviously, these are not "Audiophile" brands/s ;)
Oh, I forgot. "Audiophile" brands are SMALL companies with less R&D and support that outsource their components to 3rd parties in China and Vietnam? Those audiophile brands? :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, I forgot. "Audiophile" brands are SMALL companies with less R&D and support that outsource their components to 3rd parties in China and Vietnam? Those audiophile brands? :D
Unless it's made by Trinnov, Classe, Bryston, or Mcintosh - it's garbage! /s
You'd have to settle with semi-garbage from Krell, NAD, Moon, or Cary if you're poor.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hi all,

A good 5.1 system can also function as a good 2.0 or 2.1 system. However, if all you have is a 2.0 system, you're going to missing out on a lot from any movie with a good surround mix.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Yeesh.

It feels like there are some chips on some shoulders in here.
The OP didn't disparage any of the mainstream stuff. He simply asked if anyone has used some of the more esoteric (and more often mentioned in the more traditional audiophile media) in an HT setting. The snide-ness seems rather unwarranted.

@Kirra_Eva
I use a Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated as a power amp in my living room system. It's being fed from an Anthem MRX 540 8k doing the processing and driving the surrounds. The sub is now a Rel s/510 that just arrived yesterday. This was previously a 2.1 system until the holidays this year. The effect from the addition of rears (it's 4.1 now) was readily apparent.

My full home theatre in the basement uses Vienna Acoustics speakers all around. It also had Rel subs in it at first, but they eventually failed after many years and have been replaced since. This system runs 2.2 for music and gives what feels like near 180 degree sounstage up front at times. I've had a couple oldschool stereo guys listen and ask how many speakers were running because they think it's more than just the fronts. Still, it doesn't compare to the sound field you get when your run something in atmos/dts-x with the full layout - if that's what you're wondering with your last question.

Not sure if that fits your description of "audiophile brands". They aren't super exotic, but they're not your typical components/speakers either.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeesh.

It feels like there are some chips on some shoulders in here.
He didn't disparage any of the mainstream stuff. He simply asked if anyone has used some of the more esoteric (and more often mentioned in the more traditional audiophile media) in an HT setting. The snide-ness seems rather unwarranted.

@Kirra_Eva
I use a Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated as a power amp in my living room system. It's being fed from an Anthem MRX 540 8k doing the processing and driving the surrounds. The sub is now a Rel s/510 that just arrived yesterday. This was previously a 2.1 system until the holidays this year. The effect from the addition of rears (it's 4.1 now) was readily apparent.

My full home theatre in the basement uses Vienna Acoustics speakers all around. It also had Rel subs in it at first, but they eventually failed after many years and have been replaced since.

Not sure if that fits your heading of "audiophile brands". They aren't super exotic, but they're not your typical components/speakers either.
Here is the long version, which may explain the snide remarks. Just because equipment brands are not pedestrian but niche brands - it doesn't necessarily make the products better.
Few examples:
1) I know that MRX 540 =! MRX 520, but nonetheless - objective measurements of MRX 520 are worse than Pioneer AVR.
2) Rel S/510 - I don't know if you purchased it anywhere near Its MSRP, but looking at the spec sheet: A 10" sub with passive RAD and 500W does not sound very impressive for $2750. Even what I feel somewhat optimistic about FR spec at -6db at 20hz doesn't sound very impressive to me, again, at that price. SVS/HSU/Outlaw/Rythimc/PSA absolutely walks over in both performance and value.
For example, a fairly compact (20" cube) SB16-Ultra costs $400 less and is miles more powerful. In fact, for that difference alone, you could buy an RSL 10 Speedwoofer sub.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Here is the long version, which may explain the snide remarks. Just because equipment brands are not pedestrian but niche brands - it doesn't necessarily make the products better.
Few examples:
1) I know that MRX 540 =! MRX 520, but nonetheless - objective measurements of MRX 520 are worse than Pioneer AVR.
2) Rel S/510 - I don't know if you purchased it anywhere near Its MSRP, but looking at the spec sheet: A 10" sub with passive RAD and 500W does not sound very impressive for $2750. Even what I feel somewhat optimistic about FR spec at -6db at 20hz doesn't sound very impressive to me, again, at that price. SVS/HSU/Outlaw/Rythimc/PSA absolutely walks over in both performance and value.
For example, a fairly compact (20" cube) SB16-Ultra costs $400 less and is miles more powerful. In fact, for that difference alone, you could buy an RSL 10 Speedwoofer sub.
Where did I say anything was "better" than something else?

1) I wasn't mentioning the MRX 540 as something the OP was referring to. I brought it up in context of the use fo the Musical Fidelity Integrated, which is likely more in the realm of the type of gear they were referring to. Secondly, the 540 is spec'd as having the same digital front end as the 1140 and 740 by Anthem, both of which were reviewed as stellar digital front ends by this very site.

2) Where exactly did I say anything about the performance or value proposition of the REL in my mentioning of it. It was mentioned in the context of a brand the OP might be referencing, and yes I'm using it in a system that does some HT duty.

Your apparent need to attack at any mention of something you wouldn't choose or on your wish list is a perfect example of the "chip on the shoulder" vibe I mentioned in the first place.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
This is a nonsense post, that can not be answered
So why have you answered. The answer is simple, your really into self promotion. But then your suffering the illusion of a big fish in a very small pond

Then we read this little gem from the all knowing

The days of audio only are pretty much over as far us i'm concerned.

Good keep telling yourself that and stay away from proper high-end audio forums, your opinion is really not wanted or needed,

You know the OP has asked a reasonably question and you have gone out of your way to destroy him and his quant idea's. You really are a keyboard cowboy, It might just be time to get some treatment

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Where did I say anything was "better" than something else?
You chose certain components/brands. You literally voted with your wallet. It's only reasonable to assume that you didn't randomly select these brands/models or based on brand alone. Ergo, based on your own choices, you must imply that you chose the highest quality components at your budget. My points prove that isn't the case.
If you still insist that you, in fact, did no research whatsoever and went with randomly selected components or simply for the sake of insisting on using non-mainstream brands, then I will eat my words.

Again, if this is not clear from the previous post - it is going with niche brands do not always provide higher quality end result. Sometimes you either get worse results and/or highly overpay for one.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
You chose certain components/brands. You literally voted with your wallet. It's only reasonable to assume that you didn't randomly select these brands/models or based on brand alone. Ergo, based on your own choices, you must imply that you chose the highest quality components at your budget. My points prove that isn't the case.
If you still insist that you, in fact, did no research whatsoever and went with randomly selected components or simply for the sake of insisting on using non-mainstream brands, then I will eat my words.

Again, if this is not clear from the previous post - it is going with niche brands do not always provide higher quality end result. Sometimes you either get worse results and/or highly overpay for one.
Good god man. What are you on about.

The OP asked if anyone had any experience using some less mainstream brands in HT setups. Instead of giving him a diatribe about "audiophool" and price for performance, etc, etc I simply answered his question. I wasn't giving recommendations, or judgement on any particular piece of gear, just passing along that yes, I have, in fact, used those pieces in HT setups as they had inquired. I'm not even sure they fall into the category of gear they had in mind anyways, they weren't that specifc on how "high end" they were thinking.

Of course I didn't choose my gear randomly. I choose it for the objective and subjective criteria that mattered to me at the time of purchase and weighted as I deemed appropriate at the time too. I would expect everybody else to do the same based on their own set of criteria too when they make their buying decisions. I honestly don't care if you dissaprove of some of the pieces of equipment I went with - I didn't select them because I was trying to make you happy.

Really though... If the OP said he was thinking about using all Magico speakers and D'Agostino in his HT because it's what they like and can afford, I still don't see how the rude and snide responses they were met with earlier on would be warranted. If they had come in posting "Denon and all those mainstream brands are garbage, is someone doing it right?" then that might have been different. That was neither the question nor tone of the post though.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi all,

Why would home theater centric discussions even consider the limitations of much 2ch gear? Most can't even integrate a sub well. I use my avrs for both music and movies, or they wouldn't be much use. I displaced separate 2ch gear, not some funky integrated compromise (keep in mind an avr is a type of integrated). I've had very good 2ch setups, but a good multich set is simply better. You need the same quality of speakers, think many when buying multiple speakers take their 2ch budget and spread it out to 5.1 or worse....not a very good plan. Audiophile is a person not a brand or piece of gear, and it's simply an enthusiasm/passion for hifidelity sound reproduction gear. Much of the media for audio is polluted with audiophilia. You can wallow in it if you like, but really a waste of time and money for the most part.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It seems like the OP made one post and then left.

Why are we still feeding this thread?:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guess he felt our systems weren't resolving enough as to spending money?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Why would home theater centric discussions even consider the limitations of much 2ch gear? Most can't even integrate a sub well. I use my avrs for both music and movies, or they wouldn't be much use. I displaced separate 2ch gear, not some funky integrated compromise (keep in mind an avr is a type of integrated). I've had very good 2ch setups, but a good multich set is simply better. You need the same quality of speakers, think many when buying multiple speakers take their 2ch budget and spread it out to 5.1 or worse....not a very good plan. Audiophile is a person not a brand or piece of gear, and it's simply an enthusiasm/passion for hifidelity sound reproduction gear. Much of the media for audio is polluted with audiophilia. You can wallow in it if you like, but really a waste of time and money for the most part.
That is exactly the point. He wanted to have a system that is AV and avoid major brands that have the capital to license HDMI (so called Audiophile brands). He also wanted it two channel. No such animal exists and we would have gone round in circles like we always do with these subjectivist posters that wander in continuously. They are just time wasters, as they don't understand anything, and wallow in superstition. If you argue with lunatic you get the worst of it as G.K. Chesterton pointed out. So, it is best to cut them off at the pass. I think this Monobloc chap has a degree of contagion. He said the guy asked a reasonable question. I dispute that, as I don't think he did.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
I think this Monobloc chap has a degree of contagion. He said the guy asked a reasonable question. I dispute that, as I don't think he did.

The facts are the OP asked a question, whether you agree or disagree, that's hardly the point. The answer is he asked and like always you cut him down in ribbons Frankly he did not deserve that. But like all bullies you think you can dish it out, I wonder if your also capable of taking the same abuse. Your sort always goes running to the ad-min of the forum asking for the offender to be banned.

But it was nice to see you didn't shove all your photo's of your vintage crap down everyone's throats. I won't miss seeing all your speakers shoved in the wall and your opportunity shop audio purchases.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Hi all,

Yes, we specify the Triad Monitor line when a client wants a system that is equally adept at music. Featuring Seas and Scan-Speak drivers, Triad Silver and Gold Monitors have silky smooth and detailed reproduction with a wide soundstage. The Triad Gold Monitors won best of show at CEDIA 2019.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis