Audioholics New Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Some of the posts sparked my memories. Some things that I'd like to see (and some are repeats from others):

• Return of the calendar (I like to see people's birthdays, for example)
  • Higher limit for PMs
  • Ability to choose how many rep points to give/take up to our available allotment. For example, I might think that someone new really deserves more than a "thanks," but not that they should go from one chicklet to maxed out on green in one click of the rep scale.
  • Some better mobile support

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
One more: Have a way to deal with wildcard characters in screen names (e.g. don't allow them). The current system does not allow us to view profiles for the people that have wildcard characters in their screen names (such as a "-" symbol).

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Some of the posts sparked my memories. Some things that I'd like to see (and some are repeats from others):

• Return of the calendar (I like to see people's birthdays, for example)
  • Higher limit for PMs
  • Ability to choose how many rep points to give/take up to our available allotment. For example, I might think that someone new really deserves more than a "thanks," but not that they should go from one chicklet to maxed out on green in one click of the rep scale.
  • Some better mobile support
One more: Have a way to deal with wildcard characters in screen names (e.g. don't allow them). The current system does not allow us to view profiles for the people that have wildcard characters in their screen names (such as a "-" symbol).
Agreed.

It would be helpful for beta testers to be able to see what the available options are and what the system limitations are so they can make informed recommendations. Would it be possible to see what options are available or is it a fully customizable platform?

I'm available to beta test if you'd like me to.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Really? I had no idea.:confused:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I took at a look at the other forum and it seems to be a decent option.

Easily the biggest headache will be the change itself and people dealing with something new. VB is extremely popular and one of the big reasons it is so popular is that it is typically very simple to use. Everything is pretty much right at the top and is visible or pops right up quick and easy.

QUICK!

Plaguing early forums for years was that the database would get large and suddenly searching was a nightmare or that forum pages would take an eternity to load.

I wouldn't go for much of a look and feel overhaul as I think most people on these forums right now are pretty happy with how they work, and they've been this way for a long time. Pretty comfortable setup here.

I'm not in love with the speed of the AVS Forum with the new format, but it works alright. Still, that site just had a serious overhaul and that is tough to take with the color and logo, and everything change.

Keeping things simple and fast I think is the first priority and should be the primary concern.

Yes, more PM space and direct image insertion would be nice.

I do NOT like that URLs pull the title from the page that is linked.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
New Forum Imported

Hey guys;

Our forum has been imported to the new software. Nothing is customized yet. So we will be working on the look of the site going forward.

Anyone that has time to test the import, your help would greatly be appreciated. You can use your current login to this forum to test our new one.

Here is the link:
[link removed, not ready for prime time yet]

thanks guys.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That sure does look different, but you said that you'll be customizing it.

Perhaps the "What's New?" menu does this, but is there/will there be a menu like the current "New Posts" selection? If not, then I'd like to suggest keeping that function. I use that almost exclusively to keep up with the posts and newbie questions.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just looked around a thread, and I kind of like the new look of the posts and avatars.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I tried posting on the new version even though it only has posts up until Friday, but it didn't show up over here...and I can't delete it. I hope that I didn't mess something up.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Looks good. Search function isn't finding anything yet but I'm sure there is lots to do.:)

I like how "conversations" shows both sent and replied on the same page.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm, I like smoother interface, currently one of big questions I have is - I see Likes and "trophies" for received likes, but where are thanks and rep points?
I guess they could be considered redundant, but I may like the post like good joke, but I'd like to give extra credit to another member for helpful advice, suggestion or good explanation

Is member ignore list will be migrated over?

Will keep on digging

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Looks good. Search function isn't finding anything yet but I'm sure there is lots to do.:)

I like how "conversations" shows both sent and replied on the same page.
search database hasn't been imported yet. that will come later.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I like the way just floating the cursor over the thread lets you read the question/post without opening the whole thread.

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
Would be helpful to jump to the first unread message in a thread.
I can help beta test if you need more.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Would be helpful to jump to the first unread message in a thread.
I can help beta test if you need more.
yes if you guys can bullet point suggestions or anything you find wrong, it would be helpful. Thanks again!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps the "What's New?" menu does this, but is there/will there be a menu like the current "New Posts" selection? If not, then I'd like to suggest keeping that function. I use that almost exclusively to keep up with the posts and newbie questions.
  • I think that there should be a "New Posts" menu or equivalent.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
  • I think that there should be a "New Posts" menu or equivalent.
how does the "what's new" function appear to you?

seems to mimic the "new posts" function to me ... unless Clint already fixed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis