S

Solid-State

Banned
I'm using the same card, what mod's are you using with the card ? At the moment I'm using a StarTech Firewire PCI card to my DAC.
Burson discrete opamps and some cap replacements and I took a differential signal off of it's trances. Firewire is so much better than USB ehh Actually if you have the PCI version of the card it has a much better clock.

How does SP/DIF outta the Asus card into external DAC compare to your external firewire DAC/interface or how about using the PCM1792A as the converter.

Also what do you use? the external firewire or the Asus for conversion?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
At least I appear to have a better understanding than you do of EE design and acoustics.

And thanks for putting me down.

Do you now feel big in your fancy Lexus?
Why don't we just all chill out and we can have a good time on AH and help each other out. Maybe I can get you a good deal on some gear. I just noticed, you do have feelings.

S

Solid-State

Banned
Why don't we just all chill out and we can have a good time on AH and help each other out. Maybe I can get you a good deal on some gear. I just noticed, you do have feelings.
You are so right Walt...

and I'm sorry!

I truly mean that ehh!

We all have similar interests, tastes and passion about audio. We really should all get along like a house on fire and I have a feeling without the disconnect of the internet this would be the case. You lot, as I put it, are a very intelligent group by shear virtue. I need to recognize that.

I also should show a lot more respect for my elders in this industry. I got the wrong idea about you and your right they are all not scammers or whatever adjectives I used to describe them.

It's not mine to judge how people sell product and make a living. I'm just somewhat bitter for my own lack of personal success and it does appear to some extent I take that out on others.

I will do some thinking about all this and how it transpired and how I contributed to the current state of emotions.

BTW I'm still willing to run down the road NUDE with an Audioholics logo painted on my chest!

;)

And hey I'm no William Shockley!

:eek:

Usually people consider me a funny smart guy and I'm generally well liked.

PS I'm also not saying this for schwag/gear deals as I really mean it right from my heart.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
You are so right Walt...

and I'm sorry!

I truly mean that ehh!

We all have similar interests, tastes and passion about audio. We really should all get along like a house on fire and I have a feeling without the disconnect of the internet this would be the case. You lot, as I put it, are a very intelligent group by shear virtue. I need to recognize that.

I also should show a lot more respect for my elders in this industry. I got the wrong idea about you and your right they are all not scammers or whatever adjectives I used to describe them.

It's not mine to judge how people sell product and make a living. I'm just somewhat bitter for my own lack of personal success.

I will do some thinking about all this and how it transpired and how I contributed to the current state of emotions.

BTW I'm still willing to run down the road NUDE with an Audioholics logo painted on my chest!

;)

PS I'm also not saying this for schwag/gear deals as I really mean it right from my heart.
I am an Executive Chef in this Catskill Mountains Resort, Catskill Resorts, Hudson Valley Hotel, Family Resorts New York | Honor's Haven Resort & Spa place. I don't sell audio gear. You got this all wrong. This is my hobby (passion) not my livelihood.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Reminds me of Twisterfest 2006. Someone sure didn't do their homework. "But I thought that we were just going to play TWISTER! Ahhhh!!!" Regardless, the video was hilarious. The conclusion with the police was classic. "Don't taze me, bro" had nothing on that. :D

S

Solid-State

Banned
/me digs out his old Dale Carnegie books my mother gave me from the society...

:eek:

S

Solid-State

Banned
I am an Executive Chef in this Catskill Mountains Resort, Catskill Resorts, Hudson Valley Hotel, Family Resorts New York | Honor's Haven Resort & Spa place. I don't sell audio gear. You got this all wrong. This is my hobby (passion) not my livelihood.
Galiano Inn & Spa - Oceanfront Boutique Resort on Galiano Island, BC - Galiano Inn

Tomorrow I'm replacing a 70V system for this outfit. I had to have my sister draw up legal docs on it though and I've held back for weeks doing it as the existing wiring isn't CL2 or CL3 and there is no thinwall for runs where they should be and I'm not going to be held libel. It's all cheap oxidized acrylic... NEC it's NOT! It's an existing system I'm fixing some DIPSHIT installed. This is also why I'm bitter. I haven't found success yet a serious % of my competitors/colleagues are just INCOMPETENT IDIOTS. I end up coming in after picking up the pieces and pulling in HALF... for this I'm somewhat bitter. I've also blown some business deals I could have ended up retiring on. BUT I've learned and I'm better for it. You can't put a price on experience and hindsight and what it brings to the table for the next venture/opportunity. Perhaps I'm going to be a late bloomer... I HOPE

PS when I do a job I'm about as anal about it as Don was with the CBT36 DIY plans! Have any of you DIYers read that doc! It's the best plans I've ever read for a DIY loudspeaker EVER... what a perfectionist

PSS on structured wiring and low voltage the electricians I deal with DRIVE ME CRAZY! I think a serious percent of those guys cheat on their tests to get a ticket! Most of these guys I'm talking aren't commercial...

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
No, no it wasn't. Don't insult the collective here with that.
Yes, it was a serious question.

I'm sorry, jinjuku, but I have a habit of not letting people take the tone you're taking with me in public. (I'm not too good with it in private either, truth be known.) I've always viewed this site as "for fun" and your responses feel like harassment. Unfortunate. I'm signing off from this site.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Tomorrow I'm replacing a 70V system for this outfit. I had to have my sister draw up legal docs on it though as the existing wiring isn't CL2 or CL3 and there is no thinwall for runs where they should be and I'm not going to be libel. NEC it's NOT! It's an existing system I'm fixing some DIPSHIT installed. This is also why I'm bitter. I haven't found success yet a serious % of my competitors are just HORRIBLE IDIOTS.

Galiano Inn & Spa - Oceanfront Boutique Resort on Galiano Island, BC - Galiano Inn
Check these old Sure amps out, they are 70V. Can't even give them away. Got 6 of them. Shipping cost more then they're worth. For their age they are clean.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
jinjuku;8819141. The RME is build quality is not that of the Benchmark (which after seeing the pick of the Benchmark is it run of the mill taped out PCB assembly). I would know: I have an in-house Ethernet enabled relay we have taped out and produced in CT.[/quote said:
Well, it seems that both of you have different opinions about the perceived build quality of two DACs.

Of course, sound-wise they'll be identically perfect. So it doesn't much matter. Both of them will be worse-sounding than a pedestrian commodity AVR DAC....so long as that AVR DAC is downstream of a good room correction DSP. :)

(Though speaking of computer DACs, has anyone seen the Dirac Live software package? That might make a separate computer DAC with multichannel I/O a good investment.)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Yes, it was a serious question.

I'm sorry, jinjuku, but I have a habit of not letting people take the tone you're taking with me in public. (I'm not too good with it in private either, truth be known.) I've always viewed this site as "for fun" and your responses feel like harassment. Unfortunate. I'm signing off from this site.
How ever you feel is however you feel. I'll leave you with this:

1. I didn't shoot from the hip and say the Benchmark is a cheap made piece of junk compared to some other product X without having something to back it up.

2. Last time I checked I didn't in a left handed way accuse you of being a shill for Benchmark.

Play the wronged party all you want Irv but I'll let the back and forth speak for itself. Instead of saying you stepped over the line calling me shill, you're going to take your ball and go home. That shows a real lack of class.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Well, it seems that both of you have different opinions about the perceived build quality of two DACs.
Not true. I simply commented on how the Benchmark DAC is seemingly (and believe factually built). No comment was made on the actual tape out, SMT process, or if it is produced in a ISO 9006 or whatever certified facility.

If it is produced like I think it is (just like the RME) they are both quality pieces that should provide years of trouble free service.

S

Solid-State

Banned
No, no it wasn't. Don't insult the collective here with that.

What aggressive behavior? The only times I became confrontational with you is in your two unfounded claims:

1. The RME is build quality is not that of the Benchmark (which after seeing the pick of the Benchmark is it run of the mill taped out PCB assembly). I would know: I have an in-house Ethernet enabled relay we have taped out and produced in CT.

2. I am a shill for RME

Ok you said:

It's amazing that entirety of context can hinge on a single word. Given today's PCB manufacturing I would imagine both the Benchmark and RME are based on SMT tinsel lead FPGA packaging with hole through for any mechanicals (power leads, 1/4", control pot mounting etc) and all on a standard 4 layer board.
OK here is a great question for an obvious EE. What do you think jinjuku of the Benchmark vs. Kingwa's piece...

REMEMBER THE BENCHMARK IS $35 BUCKS MORE! LOL (WHAT A JOKE jinjuku ehh!)

ART I TELL YA!!!

ART!

Last edited:
S

Solid-State

Banned

Of course, sound-wise they'll be identically perfect. So it doesn't much matter.
Are you an EE DS-21?!?

IF NOT THEN SHOW US SOME RESPECT

YOU GUYS ARE BITING THAT HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!

VERY FEW OF US WOULD COME OUT IN THE OPEN ABOUT THIS STUFF DO TO RESPECT FOR OTHER DESIGNERS

Last edited:
S

Solid-State

Banned
Two words describe this thread:

Gong Show
YES!

But like all the threads I partake in people are going to learn something and I will as well...

and a lot of truths come out!

hey GranteedEV how's business in Cowtown these days? Your in integrator in Calgary right?

jinjuku

jinjuku

OK here is a great question for an obvious EE. What do you think jinjuku of the Benchmark vs. Kingwa's piece...

REMEMBER THE BENCHMARK IS $35 BUCKS MORE! LOL (WHAT A JOKE jinjuku ehh!)
I'm a simpler is better type of person. Keep it as simple as you can get it but no simpler.

Honestly the Benchmark looks like straight up run of the mill PCB assembly and the other looks really parts heavy (even taking into consideration it's fully balanced). That is a lot of something to potentially go wrong.

On the SQ side of stuff I couldn't say.

S

Solid-State

Banned
I'm a simpler is better type of person. Keep it as simple as you can get it but no simpler.

Honestly the Benchmark looks like straight up run of the mill PCB assembly and the other looks really parts heavy (even taking into consideration it's fully balanced). That is a lot of something to potentially go wrong.

On the SQ side of stuff I couldn't say.
sure and it cost about $200 bucks to make for a 10:1

KINGWA SPENT ALMOST THAT ON THE PCM1704UK DACs ALONE!

Like I said Kingwa's BOM is gotta be close to $1200 on that Ref 10 design when all said and done. He's basically taken a design and prob multiplied by 1.45 I figure. WHAT A DECENT MAN

Well... this is where a greater debate can be made regarding circuit design. I personally put my money on the diamond differential with those WIMA caps, custom spec NOVERs, the dale relay microprocessor controlled I/V conversion volume circuit and the bin sorted jap transistors and other TOP NOTCH COMPONENTS and BRILLIANT layout than a couple of operator amps.

It's no contest...

The Benchmark layout looks like a first year EE did it OR some CRAP that comes outta a Chinese production plant and design house. It looks like a cheap *** MAudio unit actually!

ROTFL

The thing is Kingwa's piece is LAUGHABLY $35 dollars CHEAPER

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis