Arendal 1723 Tower THX vs. Wharfedale Aura 4

R

Robert-HiFi

Audiophyte
Get a healthy friend to help, and use a shoulder dolly. That will make it pretty easy.
Thank you for the tip, never heard about it.
My stairs are very steep at 52 degrees though, the person at the bottom would carry almost all of the weight.
Where is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson when you need him? He wouldn't even break a sweat! :)

There are a lot of factors that could be at play if your crossover didn't work out. It could be the alignment, the slopes, or the way they play with the enclosure. It could be the way the drivers took to something in that circuit. With a 120Hz low-pass, the top half is essentially sitting on a sub. And what is more, as a 2.5-way design, the upper two woofers are playing low bass too. I haven't heard these particular speakers, but I did hear their little brother which shares much of the same design, and I thought they sounded good.

I don't completely disagree with you, however, but only in the case that a subwoofer will be used, especially if the speaker is being bass-managed with a high-pass filter, thereby putting two filters right next to each other. If the user feels the need to use subs with these speakers (and they really shouldn't, what with four 8"s), the speakers should be run full-range with the subwoofer calibrated accordingly.
Would it be wise to run the Arendal's full-range with movies in terms of overloading?
It would strain my Denon AVC-X4800H a bit more without the bass re-routed to the subwoofer.
I only got a 5.1 setup, so it's not a full-blown Atmos setup.

Plan was to get one pair of the Arendal 1723 Tower THX and 1723 Center THX as the matching center before the price increase.
And use my current surround speakers and subwoofer for now.
My current subwoofer (B&W ASW650) is a sealed design, but it's tightness leaves something to be desired.

I hear you. Have you considered the 1723 S towers? They are smaller and lighter so it should be easier to get them upstairs.
I thought about that too, but visually I like the bigger ones in comparison to my current Infinity Reference 61 Mk II's. And four 8 inchers just look cool.
And also because I'm mostly concerned about the deep bass output, the bigger ones should dig a bit deeper than the 1723 S towers.
I even thought about removing the woofers to lighten the load, crazy huh?

Daily HiFi also discussed the bass with Joe N Tell, but how much EQ bass boost can they handle?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My stairs are very steep at 52 degrees though, the person at the bottom would carry almost all of the weight.
Where is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson when you need him? He wouldn't even break a sweat! :)

Would it be wise to run the Arendal's full-range with movies in terms of overloading?
It would strain my Denon AVC-X4800H a bit more without the bass re-routed to the subwoofer.

Plan was to get one pair of the Arendal 1723 Tower THX and 1723 Center THX as the matching center before the price increase.
My current subwoofer (B&W ASW650) is a sealed design, but it's tightness leaves something to be desired.

I thought about that too, but visually I like the bigger ones in comparison to my current Infinity Reference 61 Mk II's. And four 8 inchers just look cool.
And also because I'm mostly concerned about the deep bass output, the bigger ones should dig a bit deeper than the 1723 S towers.

Daily HiFi also discussed the bass with Joe N Tell, but how much EQ bass boost can they handle?

I would take a serious look at the Dynaudio range, they make some very good speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Not to mention, if you get the smaller ones, you’ll always wonder why you didn’t just dig in and get the big boys up there.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Arendals will be fine. The Denon should be fine too. Unless you are listening at massive SPLs, I am sure you will be OK. You could always get an outboard amp for the Arendals for peace of mind.

R

Robert-HiFi

Audiophyte
I would take a serious look at the Dynaudio range, they make some very good speakers.
Actually, I auditioned the EMIT 50 at a HiFi dealer, but was not impressed.
The bass digged deep and they sounded very spacious, but the sound wasn't very dynamic. They sounded too polite.
Maybe it was the room or the Primare integrated amplifier (I think it was the I35 Prisma).
I don't know if the same goes for the Evoke 50, but it's pricier than the Arendal 1723 Tower THX.
But the feet on Dynaudio look cheap and more like an afterthought.

Not to mention, if you get the smaller ones, you’ll always wonder why you didn’t just dig in and get the big boys up there.
I agree. Go hard or go home. All or nothing.
A moving company hasn't responded yet to my inquiry, so I'm still in the dark about the costs.

The Arendals will be fine. The Denon should be fine too. Unless you are listening at massive SPLs, I am sure you will be OK. You could always get an outboard amp for the Arendals for peace of mind.
No excessive SPL's for me. Maybe some peaks up to 90-95dB, but that's about it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis